You are Here:
Any ideas what to do with a suitcase full of open but never used decks?

Author (Read 4785 times)

Re: Any ideas what to do with a suitcase full of open but never used decks?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So, Alex - where are we on this?  I'd love to get this thing in gear.

Anyone else wishing to contribute to the shipping is welcome to do so.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Like I have already said, I would be happy to contribute!! PM me your Paypal account.
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

PlayingKards

I still perform at a hospital, usually once a week, and I give away the decks that I perform with.  It takes about an hour to get there, but I go because they made a specific request for volunteer magicians, a request that Jason Brumbalow posted on the Ellusionist blog back when he still worked there.  The kids like having the souvenir of the visit, and they get to see for themselves that the cards aren't trick cards in any way - I wouldn't just give them away if they were, now would I?  It's also good because while some kids go all out with tablet and notebook computers, many of them are in the hospital with little more than the television or the occasional visitor from the hospital volunteer staff.  They'll loan you a book or sit and play a board game for a while, but when I give them a deck of cards, they get to keep that and take it home and it gives them something to do when the family comes in for visits.

Very often, the kids I approach are fine with their present situation, but every now and then I get someone that's frightened or in some amount of discomfort.  It's probably the most special thing that ever happens to me when I see that child transform, so when I leave the room, they aren't screaming and they're not quite so afraid anymore.  In the pediatric emergency room, the doctors are always steering me to the patients that are most in need - I get to be their opening act!  It's not always easy because the conditions aren't always ideal and I've seen my fair share of illnesses and injuries that might make some squeamish.  But the result is worth it.

I still have many decks from the last deck drive I organized here, but I also go through them at a pretty good pace, perhaps a brick a week now, sometimes more.  Most of them are Streamlines - unfortunately I ended up with the older, cheaply-made Chinese ones, but should I do another deck drive in the future, I'm just going straight to WalMart and buying up whatever Streamlines they have in stock (they get the new Kentucky-made ones and they're much better).  I also have many decks that were shipped to me from individuals - Alex donated some of his Vortex decks (the teens really like them), Mike from BMPokerWorld donated some mixed bricks of "scratch-n-dent" decks that collectors tend to not enjoy so much and recently Doris ordered some bricks of Bicycle Standards shipped straight to me from Amazon.  But the need is always there, and I keep filling it as much as I can.  Sometimes I even give a few bricks directly to the volunteer program for distribution on their library carts or the tote bags they take from room to room filled with board games and similar stuff - they're insanely popular.

Alex, you let me know how much of that briefcase you're willing to send to those kids via my hospital visits, I'll pay postage - and I'll gladly accept (through Alex) donations to help defray the shipping costs.  As long as the decks are "open but new" or still sealed, I'm glad to have them and I know the kids are twice as glad.  And if anyone else wants some for distribution in hospitals such as what I'm doing, please, speak up!

Wow that's a really cool job you got!

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I think all should just go straight to Don for the kids at the hospital. Raffle some of the remainders off!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
So, Alex - where are we on this?  I'd love to get this thing in gear.

Anyone else wishing to contribute to the shipping is welcome to do so.

i know I'm new to the forum but i used to do some charity work years ago and its one of the most rewarding things I've done as a magician. how can i help on some of the shipping costs to get those decks in the hands of some kids that in my opinion need them more than any of us do?

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Alright so here's the deal on this. In about a month I'm moving to a new place, and packing starts now. The decks are just gonna be transported in their suitcase into the bigger home, where I will have tons of room to sprawl out and make an inventory. When I made this post I didn't realize all my used decks were mixed in with my sealed, for sale decks.

Once I sort things out, I'll be putting together le care package. I'll post information on how to contribute to shipping then, once I have a receipt or an estimate ready from USPS.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Alright so here's the deal on this. In about a month I'm moving to a new place, and packing starts now. The decks are just gonna be transported in their suitcase into the bigger home, where I will have tons of room to sprawl out and make an inventory. When I made this post I didn't realize all my used decks were mixed in with my sealed, for sale decks.

Once I sort things out, I'll be putting together le care package. I'll post information on how to contribute to shipping then, once I have a receipt or an estimate ready from USPS.

It all sounds good in the 'hood!  Thanks, bro.  And thanks to the rest of you for the support - you don't know just how much the kids love it when I give them the playing cards I just performed with.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

It all sounds good in the 'hood!  Thanks, bro.  And thanks to the rest of you for the support - you don't know just how much the kids love it when I give them the playing cards I just performed with.

Don,
I don't know about the rest of the people on here but i got into magic because i was a kid who got the crap fooled out of him once and some guys were nice enough to befriend me and show me the ropes. It's one of the best parts of doing what we do is being able to pass it along to the younger generations and to keep (pardon the pun) "the magic alive". anyway ill keep checking back to see how i can contribute to help with shipping costs. take care.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:27:33 AM by S.C. »

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »

Edward

• True Member
I seem to go thru many decks just flourishing,,, Averadge about 2 decks a week,,maybe more,,, well ya,,  more than that,,, I'm getting to no that some decks hold up better than others,, And It does not mean brand names,, Some cheap decks are working good,,, Lasting three weeks at 4 hrs. a day ...  Practiceing,,,,

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I seem to go thru many decks just flourishing,,, Averadge about 2 decks a week,,maybe more,,, well ya,,  more than that,,, I'm getting to no that some decks hold up better than others,, And It does not mean brand names,, Some cheap decks are working good,,, Lasting three weeks at 4 hrs. a day ...  Practiceing,,,,

Ed, I don't want to sound rude here, but what the hell does that statement have to do with this topic?  You've been posting like you're half-baked...

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

Ed, I don't want to sound rude here, but what the hell does that statement have to do with this topic?  You've been posting like you're half-baked...

That's not rude at all. :D i was wondering the same thing. 8)

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

BTW: why are you calling me Dan?  Have you been partaking of Ed's "baking supplies"?  :))  So many people here call me Dan...  Reading is lost on this generation...  (hee hee)

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 12:31:36 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

BTW: why are you calling me Dan?  Have you been partaking of Ed's "baking supplies"?  :))  So many people here call me Dan...  Reading is lost on this generation...  (hee hee)

Dan...i mean don. :)
At first i was puzzled...then i re-read my earlier post. ??? so my only response was...Yeah, i must have been (insert stoned smiley face here). apologies for the error sir, it has been corrected. :)

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »

Ben K

• True Member

Alex, ignore my message about PayPal. I will keep my eye on this thread for new info. Thanks for the update.

Don, kids hold the real magic when you bring them joy. Knowing you go the extra mile to make that last for them is pretty sweet. :)
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume