• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Hey Guys and Girls!

I would like to tell you about the 40 hour famine. Here is some details about it:

The 40 hour Famine is something World Vision sets up each year for teenagers to help raise money for families in 3rd World Countries.
The teenagers (like me) have to go without something for 40 hours and I am going without food, sleep and furniture and my goal to raise is $200 my school goal is $8,000
just $40 can help feed a family of 5 for a whole MONTH!

So would you be able to head over to : 40hf.com/joshuarobinson  And donate a few dollars?

Please remember Me or my school makes NO PROFIT from this EVERY LAST CENT GOES TO FAMILIES IN 3rd WORLD COUNTRIES!

Thanks!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

Re: 40 Hour Famine Attempt
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow, such a charitable act, Josh! I sadly won't be able to contribute, but I wish you much of luck. I have actually participated in a similar program once, as well as another event where the goal was to run as many laps as possible, and people/friends gave you a certain amount for each mile. I ran the maximum, 10 miles, and raised 70 something dollars from that. All went directly to help fight famine as well. And it shows not all humans are completely greedy. But anyways, I honestly wish you lots of luck.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey Josh,
While I think that the act of helping other people is awesome, I don't agree with the fact of priving yourself of food or things like that. I think you can do something usefull AND helping family's financially. For example, I think that working as a volunteer for 2 days is more helpfull. And let people fund you for doing that, like having them pay per hour, you do such volunteer work. Of course, this isn't a reproach, just a proposal next time you do such wonderfull initiative.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Josh,
While I think that the act of helping other people is awesome, I don't agree with the fact of priving yourself of food or things like that. I think you can do something usefull AND helping family's financially. For example, I think that working as a volunteer for 2 days is more helpfull. And let people fund you for doing that, like having them pay per hour, you do such volunteer work. Of course, this isn't a reproach, just a proposal next time you do such wonderfull initiative.

He was being asked to go without "something" - it could as easily have been his iPod and television, but he chose a more extreme path.  Going without music and TV is one thing, going without food for a brief period is something different.  While I'm no fan of fasting myself, it's an ancient practice and when done right will not to any lasting or serious harm to the body for a period as short as this.

The lack of sleep, however, i do NOT recommend.  Your body will undergoing a lot of stress with the lack of food - complicating that with a deprivation of sleep is not a good idea.  I suggest either going without one or the other, but not both at once.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »

Noobmachine

I've actually been to an event similar to this, a bit shorter in duration, it was a 30 hour famine. It's not too bad if you have good company around during the even and refrain from any strenuous activity like sports during the famine. The one I went to was hosted en masse in my school, I don't think I could have done it on my own though, good luck to you!!
Empty lousy signature is lousy and empty :(