You are Here:
Philosophy Deck Design

Author (Read 7045 times)

Re: Philosophy Deck Design
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

martinpulido

Well, it is pretty obvious at this time that the one way art design is preferred, since it is by a definite majority (75% of those polled). Looks like I got it right from the outset. Preferences are pretty evenly divided between #7 and #8. If #8 is chosen, many people suggest 2 quotes. I will probably end up with 2 paraphrased statements instead, but I honestly don't mind that. I think I am leaning in that direction.

Now that the design is decided, I still have some questions on the court cards and aces, and how to make them unique. For the aces I was thinking I could inscribe the art within the suits, in something like this:

I could of course make them slightly more ornate, but my cards might be complicated enough at this point.

As for the court cards, I think I could add a border, either just on the top and bottom, or all around. The border could try to contain classic card elements, such as having the Jacks border have spears/halberds, king having swords, and queens having flowers. The suit could also be in the border. Any other ideas come to your mind?

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »

martinpulido

Hey guys,

Been a while. I have been busy designing a web site for the deck and learning some flash motion graphics to make a video, while researching how to produce reward items as efficiently as possible. I also added 2 new philosophers in to keep in the one-eyed Jacks and one-eyed diamond King. I thought I would show you the work:

I have been lazy and not added in the scribble effects to the bottoms of the art yet...

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like what I'm seeing so far.

I prefer the hollow pips for the aces.  The colored ones are not very complementary to the artwork contained within.

I like the one-eyed cards.  Now, what to do with the suicide King of Hearts?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
MAN that back looks awesome!
I love the card face with the pips to the side and the border around the text in the center.
As for the possible eastern philosophy deck, here are some starting philosophers:

Kong Fu Zi
Lao Zi
Xun Zi
Mo Zi
Zhuang Zi
Xi Zhi
Sun Tzu
Li Si
Hu Shih (Xijiang)
Mencius
Dajian Huineng
Feng Youlan (Fung Yu-Lan)

Can't wait for the deck to come out!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
If you are planning on having the quote run in the back, I hope it will be pretty faded, because the latest example you gave with bold ink I found confusing, hard to read, and distracting from the image.

Ohhh. Good point. It IS a bit confusing with the text in the foreground.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)