You are Here:
What's the DUMBEST thing you've ever done with a nice deck of cards.

Author (Read 10983 times)

Re: What's the DUMBEST thing you've ever done with a nice deck of cards.
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I had a deck of v3s with me. It was in my pocket, without a clip (stupid me, this was a while ago, and I wouldn't do this nowadays). I got into the car, and it dropped out of my pocket, and before I could react, it was in the sewer. I was able to get it back, but half of the box was torn apart, and all of the cards were ruined, soaked, all dirty, and bent.

Another mistake I did: when I first started out as a magician, I only had 1 deck of bicycle bridge size decks. My only good deck. After using it for about a month or so, it was really dirty. I saw a video on youtube of a guy washing his cards one by one (little did I know it was a 100% plastic deck) and I tried the same thing. Goodbye deck  :'(

It's funny looking at the double posts and short comments by MagicAddictz and loldudex2 6 months ago, and see how much they evolved since!

If it fell in a sewer, I don't know how much a clip would of helped.

Also I was thinking the same thing. When it first started out mostly only MagigAddictz, Phantom, Sinsandman, Alex and I were talking, but within the past few months it's amazing how post quality, members and all around awesomeness has increased. Viewing old boards feels lik an archive into the past.

did you forget me? as MrMagic322? lol I will say i played mafia with a bunch of friends and one of the guys had a little sister, she decided to take my black ghost deck cards and color on them. :( who put them in her hands we still dont know. :( or atleast i dont.

Haha, sorry. I looked at the member list and looked for names I recognized from the beginning...sorry for missing you, and I KNOW I missed a few others.

Also, please tell me that Black Ghost wasn't first edition.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I remember when I read people saying to wash your hands before handling cards I was like, "Pssh, bunch of wackos" but it is really true. I often find myself in a dilemma about practicing handling of cards. There's so many different varieties of stocks and finishes that you need to practice to get things right, and yet practicing things you're not used to is a sure-fire way to ruin the cards.

Also, although I really like ambitous card routines, I always get a little sad when people take a Sharpie to a card. Even if it's just a regular deck.

Probably the dumbest thing I've done is that at present I just have all my decks stuck in a little wooden drawer. I need to find somewhere less hazardous and where they don't need to be stacked four high.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Wow Cosmo! When I read that thing about the Jerry's I almost cried!
On aired serious note, I wouldn't consider that dumb, due to the fact that they had no value at the time, and how we're you supposed to know the crazy value of those cards in the future?

Well it felt pretty dumb!!! 

Someone out there has THIS story for this thread...

so before I knew that the Jerry's Nugget's were of any value, I went to the Las Vegas Magic Invitational, where I had a dealer's table.  I brought a couple dozen of the Nuggets with me, planning and hoping to get 5 bucks a deck.  A young guy and his friend approach me and ask how much?  I mentioned 5 bucks..  And his friend shouts out... HOLY COW you got two dozen Jerry's Nuggets???? those are going for like 75 bucks on ebay!!! Needless to say his friend was crushed and I ended up selling two decks to him at $45 a piece.

Now THAT was dumb!

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Do you guys know the "WILL IT BLEND" youtube channel. i'd love to see them blend a deck of cards with card clips. That would be something dumb and interesting. ^_^

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Do you guys know the "WILL IT BLEND" youtube channel. i'd love to see them blend a deck of cards with card clips. That would be something dumb and interesting. ^_^

I'm pretty sure he had blended cards, but I ld like to see a Porper's true strengths.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I had a deck of v3s with me. It was in my pocket, without a clip (stupid me, this was a while ago, and I wouldn't do this nowadays). I got into the car, and it dropped out of my pocket, and before I could react, it was in the sewer. I was able to get it back, but half of the box was torn apart, and all of the cards were ruined, soaked, all dirty, and bent.

Another mistake I did: when I first started out as a magician, I only had 1 deck of bicycle bridge size decks. My only good deck. After using it for about a month or so, it was really dirty. I saw a video on youtube of a guy washing his cards one by one (little did I know it was a 100% plastic deck) and I tried the same thing. Goodbye deck  :'(

It's funny looking at the double posts and short comments by MagicAddictz and loldudex2 6 months ago, and see how much they evolved since!

Also I was thinking the same thing. When it first started out mostly only MagigAddictz, Phantom, Sinsandman, Alex and I were talking, but within the past few months it's amazing how post quality, members and all around awesomeness has increased. Viewing old boards feels lik an archive into the past.
It is times like that when the cork porper clip comes in handy. Lol.

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I'm pretty sure he had blended cards, but I ld like to see a Porper's true strengths.

Somebody should send that in!! It would be awesome to see  :D Almost as awesome as the glowsticks one
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Do you guys know the "WILL IT BLEND" youtube channel. i'd love to see tKhem blend a deck of cards with card clips. That would be something dumb and interesting. ^_^

Somebody should send that in!! It would be awesome to see  :D Almost as awesome as the glowsticks one

If you see the intro of some of his videos, there IS a deck of cards being blended, but I'm not sure if he ever posted it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Dumbest thing I ever did was really more of a simple accident - in the middle of performing a trick, I creased a card in a Tally Ho Viper stripper deck.  The worst part was when I tried replacing them, all of E's stripper decks were sold out and never came back in stock - looks like they just stopped making them.  It's crazy - the stripper is one of the most basic magic decks out there, and you DON'T offer it in at least a few of your designs?

I've been thinking about investing in the hardware to do my own deck stripping and offer it as a service for magicians.   (Maybe that will be the dumbest thing I ever do with a deck of cards!)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

did you forget me? as MrMagic322? lol I will say i played mafia with a bunch of friends and one of the guys had a little sister, she decided to take my black ghost deck cards and color on them. :( who put them in her hands we still dont know. :( or atleast i dont.

Haha, sorry. I looked at the member list and looked for names I recognized from the beginning...sorry for missing you, and I KNOW I missed a few others.

Also, please tell me that Black Ghost wasn't first edition.

Do you think i would use a first edition?? that is one deck i would keep sealed.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.