You are Here:
Hello

Author (Read 812 times)

Hello
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

kmdhstew

• Facebook:
Hi all,

My name is Dave Stewart. I've been hanging around for a little while but never introduced myself. I live just outside of Toronto Canada.

I'm 45 (one of the old guys), married and have two girls who are as old as a lot of you...based on the "age" poll.

I started to collect a few decks late last year with the thought of having some different cards to play poker with. My research lead me to Aether and UC. Soon after I discovered I was an acquaintance of CBJ (moved over to UC but still adding content here). With his assistance I'm now hooked on collecting. Thanks Jay....I think!!

In 6 months I've collected close to 45 decks, counting some doubles and a brick (to get a free deck). I'm very interested in collecting vintage decks and other items. I have the Season's uncuts on the way and recently bought some old Bicycle magazine ads. These items will be on display in my man cave poker room along with any other interesting items I can find along the way.

Cheers
Dave

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Welcome to the discourse !! i really like the seasons playing cards .. i mange to get 1 set from a reseller and i am intending to buy more but currently i do not have enough money so i did not buy more set or the seasons uncut sheet .. Frame them up and display them in your poker room !! and take some picture and show us !!

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! Here we have a very diverse group as you will soon be able to see: tons of different ages, locations, and connections to playing cards. i personally am a magician and flourisher as well as a collector (no vintage decks though because of their price). I started collecting almost a year ago, and in the past 4 months since I joined these forums, my collection went from 4 decks to 250+, and I am sure the same thing will happen to you if you go with the flow :P Anyways, hope you have fun here!

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
G'Day David!

take a bag of popcorn and take a seat because the movie is about to start!

at the moment what is your favourite deck in your collection? once you sort out your man cave, would we be able to see a picture?

If you need to find a certain topic, please use the search bar on top right corner and if you cannot find the topic you would like, feel free to start a new one!

(if you didn't notice the G'Day, I'm Aussie!)

hope you find what you need here and hopefully we can get to know you well and see you collection grow over your time here!

~Josh
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:27:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, David.  :))

I'm actually going to be in the Toronto area for Memorial Day weekend - I'm meeting Lee Asher that weekend, and he's taking me to meet Tom and Judy Dawson - the republishers of the Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards.  I'm told they have an astounding collection of vintage cards and decks.

My best advice to you would be to tread lightly in this hobby.  It's easy to get swept up in it.  I've been collecting for nearly eighteen months and I topped a thousand deck and them some already!  It's a luxury hobby, without a doubt!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »

kmdhstew

• Facebook:
Thanks for the welcome.

Josh, my favourite deck is the JAQK T11 but I also like Rev. 1 and anxiously await my Seasons. I'm just a collector, no cards tricks/ flourishing etc for me....yet anyway. I'm in awe of those who can.

Don, that's sounds fantastic. I can only imagine their collection. I have the book on my list of things to get (fathers day  is coming up soon  ;) ) . I wasn't aware they were in the Toronto area. And I hear ya...I've already been a little "swept" up!

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Hi there David and welcome to the Discourse!

first of all 45 is not considered OLD at all. You are still technically 15 years old if life begins at 30.  ^-^
second, 45 DECKS IN 6 MONTHS........ so lucky. :P I wish I had that much cash to spare. ^-^ Oh well. We're all glad you are here at Aethercards.
Third: I am so interested in seeing you "cave man poker room" sounds like bat man lives there or some secret sanctum. hehehe

Anyhu, I'm sure you will love it here at the Discourse. Everyone here are pretty awesome and easy going. Plus there re TONS of really cool topics I'm sure you will find quite interesting. of you are looking for a ceratin thing using the search function but can't find it feel free to start your own. Nothing excited us more than having new things to read here. :P
So if you have any questions concerns or anything at all don't hesistate to PM any of the Admins/Mods. They would be more than happy to help you out with whatever it may be.

HAVE FUN!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

kmdhstew

• Facebook:
Thanks Lara....hahaha no batman in this cave. My teenage daughters mostly. I have a poker game this Friday night, so once I'm setup I'll take a picture to share. It's not as special as it sounds but it serves it's purpose.

The Seasons uncuts have not arrived and even if they did they won't be framed any time soon. I'm not sure yet how I'll frame them. Alex Chin has created some fantastic borders in the past. First I'm in no rush and second I'm hoping Alex will do the same for his own uncuts....and share of course :D 

I also intend to frame the old magazine ads and display them soon. I'll take a few pictures.