You are Here:
New Deck Design

Author (Read 2163 times)

New Deck Design
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Since I'm waiting for my Galvanic deck to hit the press I figured I would open up photoshop and try to create some inspiration. Well that turned into this. Thoughts? Possible future Bee deck?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:41:27 AM by SeanWhelan »
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: New Deck Design
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,
Since I'm waiting for my Galvanic deck to hit the press I figured I would open up photoshop and try to create some inspiration. Well that turned into this. Thoughts? Possible future Bee deck?

Thanks!

Whoa.  First thought that came to my mind was "fish eggs"!  It's a wicked design for the back.

I'd smooth those "symmetry lines" a bit, covering them with more "eggs".  It totally breaks the pattern to see where the edges are symmetrical but not really "matched", if you get what I'm grasping at.

The potential for making a subtle marked design is great - but anyone in their right mind would suspect a design like this IMMEDIATELY.  I know I would!  But hey, do it anyway, if you want - make a marked variant of the design for magicians!

The big questions:

Will this be the only color?

What are you considering doing for the faces?

Any thoughts on branding - are you fixed on the idea of making this a Bee deck, or is that just one possibility?

What stock/texture/finish combo are you considering?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:25:46 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thanks for the quick feedback Don. I needed to break away from the Galvanic series for a bit just to clear my head and create other potential projects. I created this design just tomight and I was amazed. To me it is very beautiful and elegant. I really opened up photoshop to create inspiration and gather new ideas, definitely wasn't expecting this outcome.

So lets see. If this were to become a deck in the future (and hey if enough people really love this design then by all means itll happen)
- Bee stock
- Magic Finish
- Metallic Ink on the custom court cards (custom of course but have no clue exactly what details)
- Various colors? (just uploaded the green one now
- First thing that came to mind was almost like a Celtic look to it (can't you tell from my name I'm irish : D)
- Embossed tuck case

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the quick feedback Don. I needed to break away from the Galvanic series for a bit just to clear my head and create other potential projects. I created this design just tomight and I was amazed. To me it is very beautiful and elegant. I really opened up photoshop to create inspiration and gather new ideas, definitely wasn't expecting this outcome.

So lets see. If this were to become a deck in the future (and hey if enough people really love this design then by all means itll happen)
- Bee stock
- Magic Finish
- Metallic Ink on the custom court cards (custom of course but have no clue exactly what details)
- Various colors? (just uploaded the green one now
- First thing that came to mind was almost like a Celtic look to it (can't you tell from my name I'm irish : D)
- Embossed tuck case

Sounds good so far.  What's the theme you're going for?  Celtic?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yeah after messing with the colors green def looks the best. If I had to continue with this design or theme then most likely Celtic. Other thoughts anyone? I love as much feedback as possible.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
I like the back design especially the green on just make sure if you do this deck to have custom court cards like your galvanic deck had .

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Def will be a full custom deck. Court cards, pips etc

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I also immediately thought of salmon eggs, recolored in green. I like the design a lot as well. Maybe you could try in salmon color if you haven't already? :)

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Hey Sean, that back design looks interesting. Sticking with the celtic theme, how about names like....Keltic, the Dubliner, Erie, Erin or something in old gaelic language. Good luck with it, after the great design of the Galvanic deck, I'm sure it will be awesome.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Here is the edited version he has made:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=258511897580689&set=o.157224107732737&type=1&theater
I like the subtleties between shadow and light better than in the original version.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It looks better than the first design but it is very hard to look at. Also, the line in the very center, where the design is mirrored, looks a little messed up and noticeable. I like this design lot though! Also, have you tried using different colors besides green?

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Purple one has just been uploaded! : D

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 01:46:03 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Sean,

I like the green version a lot. I think if you're gonna go with an Irish theme then go all the way! The green symbols would be a great background pattern as they are now. It would be cool if you added a Gold colored interweaving Celtic border as a frame and then created some detailed Celtic knots to go over the green pattern within the border. They could help hide the seams in the green background and would give it some visual punch with a few added colors. The PIPs, Indices and Court Cards could all have elements of detailed Celtic knots and symbols as well. Kind of like the Title Art for Pixar's new move Brave:

http://moresay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/disney-pixar-brave-stories-merida.jpg

Brave comes out at the end of June so you might have enough time to get it nailed down and launch a Kickstarter project around then to ride the Irish heritage publicity that will probably trickle down from the movie's advertising.

thanks, Randy

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:49:24 AM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

Daniel

• That's unexpected O.o That's what she said, kinda

• Facebook:
Those look kinda nice but IMO a little too busy. Makes my head hurt just looking at it. The green one is a little gentler i think. Can't wait to see more though :D

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
T'would be a fine deck o'cards, t'be sure.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Wow Sean, once again you out-do yourself. The quality of these backs is superb with all of the detail. Although I really like the Celtic Green Deck (Thought of a patch of clover at first glance), I've wanted a Purple deck for a while now, and I feel that this would be the perfect deck for this!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!