i am not to sure
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

new deck: Mysterium Inked Deck

Author (Read 4904 times)

new deck: Mysterium Inked Deck
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

jack the clown

hello out there i am new to forms and i was trying to figure out how to get a deck done? i know about all the templates and such but for like making money for funding and stuff like that ....i see everyone talking about kickstarter and stuff like that but i am completely new and it is still in the sketch art process, i am not trying to get rich i am trying to get my name out there i have been drawing all my life and i love cards.....here is a lil teaser of art
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:00:41 AM by jack the clown »

Re: new deck
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Welcome to the forums, the joker you sketched looks interesting. I'm sure you'll get the answers to your questions soon by one of or knowledgeable members.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Is it just me or does this the concept have a similar feel with the TCA joker?

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! I really enjoy this sketch! May I suggest posting this and asking for help in the "Design and Development" thread? There are many people that would live to help you make your dream come true :)

I hope you enjoy it here!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »

jack the clown

who is tcac i have been drawing since i was real young .... i love cards and art and i want to bring those two passions together

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Here we go again... What has happened to my hobby... I think I'm going to stick to collecting Vintage Decks...

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »

jack the clown

what do you mean ....i just want to try something else ...i will have more sketches sooon

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@jmrock,
Lol that isn't exactly gonna help you saving money. By the way, we've found someone that talks just like you! >.<

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
xZEROx... Hahaha... That's great... Got me...

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
First of all welcome to the forums! We love having new members and creative minds!
I like that joker a lot. I see your first point focuses a lot on you wanting to make money. I want to warn you that if you are looking to make some quick money, playing card design is not the right place for you. Most card creators can tell you that making a creative design is very difficult and doesn't pay very well for the amount of time you spend (unless you are Dan and Dave, Theory11, or Ellusionist).
Great joker,
Best regards,
Nathan

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »

jack the clown

thank you alot nathan ...it means alot to me to have people appreciate my work ....i am not solely focusing on making money i want to get my name out there is all

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

JimmyJohns

• True Member

I think you are right...Look at his response few posts down:

"who is tcac i have been drawing since i was real young .... i love cards and art and i want to bring those two passions together"

Obviously he knows about the thread: you asked about TCA(the con artist), he responded about tcac(the con artist company)

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I think you are right...Look at his response few posts down:

"who is tcac i have been drawing since i was real young .... i love cards and art and i want to bring those two passions together"

Obviously he knows about the thread: you asked about TCA(the con artist), he responded about tcac(the con artist company)
I noticed the same thing but I don't think someone from TCA would have bothered to put a picture of some artwork and pretend to be someone else. Alex can always check though.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »

jack the clown

i have heard of the tca from this website and it was posted as theconartist.com ie tcac i know you guys are really good at tracking because i have read that thread .....i am from Rathdrum, ID there u go anything else please dont hesitate to ask i dont lie ....i used to work for a record company as well here is another sample of my art all my art is very abstract like this

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
i have heard of the tca from this website and it was posted as theconartist.com ie tcac i know you guys are really good at tracking because i have read that thread .....i am from Rathdrum, ID there u go anything else please dont hesitate to ask i dont lie ....i used to work for a record company as well here is another sample of my art all my art is very abstract like this
That looks nice, but how are you planning on incorporating it into a deck of cards? Also, is english your first language?

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Save yourselves the time, gang.  He's that guy from TCAC, plain and simple.

Nice try.  Perhaps next time...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:07:23 AM »

jack the clown

i am not from tcac ..... i looked at the page and got the link but here is the thing i was told about the con artist by a friend on facebook so he could get the free deck i do like some of the artwork but i am in here no way related to the con artist .....so please stop accusing me and if you look at ip addresses you would know that i am not ....i am an artist yes i do have a facebook  but how is that relative to me wanting to do my deck i asked for help and you guys have been very rude .....

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 03:48:37 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Hiya, I don't know if you are from the TCA or not but most new members spend some time on the boards participating in and contributing to threads before posting artwork for critique.

You could have offered to to design one of the cards for The Discourse Deck.

May I ask how old you are? You say you've been drawing since you were very young? How long have you been interested in cards? do you have a collection? Post a pic of you collection in the relevant thread.
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 04:17:05 AM »

jack the clown

well i have been drawing about as long i have been able to hold a pencil i got my first award in thee six grade ....i am not a hard cor collector like some of the people in here i have been playing poker for about 15 years or so granted i have had many decks of cards but all of which i have used but i just keep to the standard bicycle deck ...i am 29 years old ....i have been thinking about doing cards for a long time now...

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 04:41:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Okay, "Jack" - you said here that you had no idea who TCAC was - even though no reference to TCAC had yet been made, only TCA.

who is tcac i have been drawing since i was real young .... i love cards and art and i want to bring those two passions together

And now you say this:

i am not from tcac ..... i looked at the page and got the link but here is the thing i was told about the con artist by a friend on facebook so he could get the free deck i do like some of the artwork but i am in here no way related to the con artist .....so please stop accusing me and if you look at ip addresses you would know that i am not ....i am an artist yes i do have a facebook  but how is that relative to me wanting to do my deck i asked for help and you guys have been very rude .....

I can't trust what you're saying, because you're already contradicting yourself.  And that, folks, is enough for me.

Go jerk someone else's chain, we're not interested - I'm not, at the very least.

And even if you weren't "that guy", you write like you stopped school shortly after "thee six grade" and took up poker - at the age of 14.  You don't have to be a "hard cor collector" to post here, but at least be honest.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:44:57 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »

jack the clown

don ...this is my own deck called inked... my name is Jason ..... i have only been out in idaho for like two years now, and i am very knowledgeable. i don't appreciate the attack from you in the case that i have done nothing wrong. I came out from CA where i have been drawing and painting for years now... some of my artwork has been approved by Disney itself. If i was from TCA why would i be asking how to start a deck and what to do? If i have done anything to offend anyone on this board i am sorry...the name of my deck is going to be called "Inked" i am not trying to get rich i just want to have my art pressed on cards is all, is that a crime? The last time i checked TCA's  Facebook site they wont even tell you that much. So i leave you with this if you want me gone from this board then fine ....If i get four or five people to post that they want me to leave i will delete my account with you guys ....I promise and i am a man of my word. Please just know that i am going to try and get this deck done regardless, this is what i want to do and i have been dealing with people telling me i am not good enough all my life and you are no different than them... Thank you all for you time , Jason

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Jason, you are free to stay or leave as you choose.  It doesn't bother me either way.

If I notice you're a genuine contributing member of the community and not some imposter, then I'll reach out to you with an olive branch and apologize.  It's not beneath me to do so; I'm as fallible as the next human.

For now, simply accept that I'm having a hard time accepting the validity of your statements.  I'm simply one person here among hundreds, and I'm sure you'll find others who are more receptive to you from the start.  By and large, this community is very welcoming and accepting - but be forewarned that we have excellent bullshit detectors among us as well.

Here's to hoping that your statements are indeed totally truthful.  Good luck.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 07:07:07 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Whoa.... hold your horses people.
Paranoia much.
Heya Jason, I hope you don't take all of those too personally. Everyone is really paranoid with the whole Con-shitheads-dot-com.

But whether you are or are not, that remains to be seen. We have our Special Tactics Team who will Vindicate you or whatever.

Anyway, welcome to the boards.
:P

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
You suggesting the I.P. thing is kinda suspicious IMO because if you were another member from TCAC, you wouldn't have the same I.P. as that other imposter. But anyways we will see.
The fact that you posted artwork immediately kinda also shows that chances are you are just a normal guy. Time will tell. Anyways, great work so far!
On a side note, we are working on a collaborative deck:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1595.900
It is a long read, but it is worth it. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands, just read the last 5 pages: they contain most of the important info.
Thx,
Nathan :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:58:47 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

jack the clown

i am just a normal person ....i do appreciate all the positive feedback it means a lot ... i have been doing these drawings almost day and night and I want to make sure it is something fresh and new on the scene....I have read through that thread, i will definitely put that into consideration.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »

jack the clown

if you would like to see another design please post i have jack of hearts, king of hearts, and the queen of hearts ....post which one you would like to see

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »

jack the clown

and another thing how do u guys get the uncut sheets done is that through the company you chose ?

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 03:49:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
and another thing how do u guys get the uncut sheets done is that through the company you chose ?

Instead of "serial posting", please just re-edit the last post when possible.

Uncut sheets are generally sold by the company that created the deck.  Some people love them as collectibles and works of art while others think they're just too bulky to effectively and safely store, and few people have enough wall space (and money to spend on proper framing) to display a good-to-large collection of them.  They're nearly always sold in short quantities as a limited edition, and they're frequently signed and numbered.

If you want to post more deck images, by all means - you created this topic.  You might want to change the title of the topic to represent the deck's name - you can do that by editing the first post you made and changing the post's title there.

Re: new deck: Mysterium Inked Deck
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »

jack the clown

sorry about that ...since i am still a newbie i didn't know the tricks of the trade for this board ....my next drawing hasn't even been colored yet but i am going through the process with all my cards ....what do u guys think ...my cards are going to be very symbolic, the court cards are going to be represented by the suit. For example this pic is the Jack of hearts (one eyed jack). Feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thanks a lot guys

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I can see it was nicely drawn - but it's just not my cup of tea.

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Well, welcome to the forums but first;

a) Why did you lie to everyone?
b) Can you please make an effort to use punctuation? 
c) This isn't symbolism
d) Do you have any evidence of involvement with Disney?
e) The drawings are OK, would definitely benefit from re-colouring in photoshop to sharpen them up but I would gauge interest before trying to sell it.  I don't like the theme and the execution is just OK, not great; I very much doubt I'd be getting one but some people might like it enough.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I like this one but it is blurry and kinda lacks color and "spices" if you know what I mean.

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »

jack the clown

I had told everyone that it is still in the sketching stage. How did i lie to anyone? I worked on a musical called Beauty and the Beast where all the logo work had to be approved by Disney Before we could even press anything. Well what i mean by symbolism is that there is no king, queen, or jack person. here is a colored cleaned up one
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:05:00 PM by jack the clown »

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I liked your other stuff but this one just seems way to simplistic.

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I had told everyone that it is still in the sketching stage. How did i lie to anyone? I worked on a musical called Beauty and the Beast where all the logo work had to be approved by Disney Before we could even press anything. Well what i mean by symbolism is that there is no king, queen, or jack person. here is a colored cleaned up one
I actually like this one MUCH better! :D
Also to answer your question, you lied about you and TCA: you first said you didn't know about it. Then you said you just quickly read through the thread. Then you said you had seen your website...

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
It looks empty and bunched together.  Could do with more decoration and better spacing (the index in particular).  In colouring it, you should add shading as well; I think the solid colours make it look too 'sketchy'.  It's still not my kinda thing, doubt it ever will be but I could see the appeal if it improved a good bit.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »

jack the clown

i will be doing more shading, this isn't finished product. i will be adding more to the ribbons. When it is done i will post ... what do you guys think now
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:33:54 PM by jack the clown »

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
The jack looks like one cool character, dude. I honestly like it.

The drawing of the suits onto the courts is a neat idea for sure
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
that is a pretty nice card. :) I really like the drawing on the J, and the colors are nice. Is the whole theme of the deck like this?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »

jack the clown

Yes the theme is all like this  and all artwork is hand drawn. No photoshop it is all hand traced with illustrator. When i get more done i will post and when i am far enough along i will be opening a kickstarter. still looking for a company to press and to get quote from though. I will keep you all posted

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Err... a gradient effect isn't exactly the same as shading.  Much more precision is needed here; do it by hand.  I still think it needs more going on, maybe a frame of some kind?  The heart pips on the ribbon aren't working at all, either- too copy/paste slapped on without proper integration.  Again, shading would help.

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What does the pencil have to do with the "inked" theme?  And what's that weird shape next to the eye?

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 02:46:55 AM »

jack the clown

Hmmmm, i will take that into consideration about the shading and detail. Thank you for the input. Don the pencil is to fit the theme a bit because it is an art deck or kinda a tattoo design deck and the shape by the eye is a vein. The border I haven't gotten that far around, i am going to finish court cards and find something that fits in with all the cards. I am very big into feedback because if i want to do something perfect i need to take into consideration what the consumer wants.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hmmmm, i will take that into consideration about the shading and detail. Thank you for the input. Don the pencil is to fit the theme a bit because it is an art deck or kinda a tattoo design deck and the shape by the eye is a vein. The border I haven't gotten that far around, i am going to finish court cards and find something that fits in with all the cards. I am very big into feedback because if i want to do something perfect i need to take into consideration what the consumer wants.

Don't let consumer opinion sway you too much - you'll never please everyone.  Take advice, but don't stray too far from your initial artistic vision.

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I actually really like that new gradient jack. Best of luck. And I recommend you don't worry about printing the deck until you get solid support and many cards and back and box designed.

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
I'm a fan of The Residents, so I like the whole eyeball thing. I like the look of the last image you posted.

As for the Kickstarter project, I suggest that before you consider that you look at the existing Kickstarter card deck projects and talk to the folks who have done these. Find out how long it really takes to get a card project done and shipped. It seems like every new card project creator believes that they can get it done in a few weeks, and it just doesn't work that way.

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

jack the clown

oh, no i don't think it will be a quick job at all if it is anything like my art it can take anywhere up to a couple of months to do. Don, thank you for the words of inspiration and hopefully you realized that i am not a bad guy after all. I don't plan on going too far astray from my idea at all.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
I agree with Kanped, gradient =/= to shading. oh and welcome to the boards!  :) I'm abit confused, where exactly are you going with this deck? The first drawing seemed to me like a mix of the ellusionist's 1800 and like sort of a carnival themed deck while the seconds seems abit out of place, I noticed you used the same 'banners' you did like the first drawing but i'm sorry I don't really fancy it, it looked okay without the colour applied to it so maybe its the colour or might be the lack of shading or might be the 'vintage' colour of the paper it was originally drawn on, I'm sorry I can't seem to pin point exactly where though..

from the name of your deck the 'mystery' part and the 'inked' (artistic) part fit really nicely for the first drawing, well done!  :D I like how the slight vintage look of the first drawing, gives it abit of a mystery while the colours add in to the artistic side but the background seems abit empty to me.. well that's just my opinions, good luck in creating your deck! hope my opinions help!  :)

btw i love the artwork of the flower, it's really nice and calming~
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »

jack the clown

Thank you for the compliment on my painting, i have walls full of random paintings like that. i will be linking all together the art so it fits the theme of the deck. The banners are very symbolic to me that is why i put them in the designs. I will be putting more artwork when they get further along.