Creative Cards

Author (Read 4943 times)

Creative Cards
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:27:13 AM »

Vlad

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hey friends!

I'm new here, so not sure I am posting in the right thread but anyways want to share with you my project called "Creative Cards".

The idea is to create a deck of 54 absolutely unique playing cards. Top artists and illustrators such as Joshua Davis, Brosmind, Design Is Dead, Géraldine Georges, Hello Monday etc. pick a card each and design it in their own style and technique. We have already some cards submitted, but everything just started. Please visit http://creativecards.cc/ and keep an eye on it.

Cheers and would be happy to hear your thoughts about the project.

Vlad
 :karrit:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:27:50 AM by vorcot »

Re: Creative Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse!
I saw your website yesterday and took a look at the designs so far. They look great and the people working on it are very talented! You should check out the Discourse deck thread in the Design and Development section.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Hi there!
As MagicAddictz had mentioned, there is already a project on-going right now on the Discourse. Feel free to join or start a new one for yourself and we'll definitely give you some advice.

It'll be a long read, but it's worth it.
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1595.0

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
hey and welcome, i really like what you are doing in your website hope  the deck gets done .

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Great project Vlad, looking forward to seeing more work. Joshua Davis is a favorite of mine (have some originals of his hanging on my walls) so if you have that caliber of people it should be quite an impressive result.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

I think the Playing Card Plethora thread is suitable for this deck/project. And, guys, this is an independent project – there is no sense to propose them to design deck with/for AetherCards now. Check their site first.

Actually I don’t like such decks. Different styles and different tastes always make such decks very disputable. As a rule I like 30% (min) - 60% (max) of playing cards and don’t like the other part of them so I don’t buy a deck. But I do that with a heavy heart because as always there are some masterpieces in such projects. Anyway I wish you success.

One suggestion for this and future decks – do unified backs for all decks in series. In such case people can buy two-three of them and compile from them their favorite deck.

p.s.
With all my respect:
don’t like: Lucas Camargo
don’t understand: Lucas de Alcantara, Make Harrison, Geraldine Georges, Matt JOnes

David Delin, Jonathan Wong, Andreas Preis, my applause.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I think the Playing Card Plethora thread is suitable for this deck/project.

This is an on-going project, it should go to the Design board.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:24 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Some really nice designs and ideas individually so far, will be interesting to see it at the end and see how they all work together.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Jules - not bad
Valp - I can live with that :)
Mr.Flurry - ugly

Matei Apostolescu - cool!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Sounds like the same kind of thing we are doing with the Discourse deck :) Now we have some competition ;)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »

Vlad

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Thanks guys for your feedbacks.

Creative Cards project is really interesting experiment. We haven't limited artists in their work, so until receiving a card we never knew how it will be look like at the end. Every designer has his own style and technique, so as mr. Collector said above, it will never be such custom deck that you will love 100%. It's just a question of a taste.

I've read through the forum that some of you guys has positive experience with getting funds through kickstarter. I'm really interested and wondering if my deck could be successful there? Any chances?

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks guys for your feedbacks.

Creative Cards project is really interesting experiment. We haven't limited artists in their work, so until receiving a card we never knew how it will be look like at the end. Every designer has his own style and technique, so as mr. Collector said above, it will never be such custom deck that you will love 100%. It's just a question of a taste.

I've read through the forum that some of you guys has positive experience with getting funds through kickstarter. I'm really interested and wondering if my deck could be successful there? Any chances?
I definitely think Kickstarter would be a great place for this deck! There have been many successful playing card projects on kickstarter and I think that this deck would join them in success!

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Personally, I enjoy these decks. I don't think they are so common that there is a saturation of them in the market at any given time; although I wouldn't like if they were very common. But, with custom playing cards I, and I presume most of us playing card enthusiasts, tend to think of them as 50-something little works of art in a box. These kinds of decks really play to that.

I really like virtually all of the designs so far. Of course, some I really love - 5♦, 5♥ (I love how the tongue looks like an upside down heart) and 8♦ - and some I don't like so much. But, the way it is so far I'd definitely follow this deck and purchase a few if it came to that. I hope it does!
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Wow an intro post and more. LoL I'm not quite sure how to reply. But yeah Welcome.
I like the concept of Creative Cards .cc

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Wow thats another great collection of high quality artworks.
2S , 8H and QC are my favorites.
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO (for those who don't understand that):

Don't like:
Vitalik Sheptuhin (6 of Clubs);
Simplevector (10 of Spades);
Brosmind (4 of Clubs).

Hello Monday (9 of Hearts) - funny but I don't think it's suitable for playing card.

Kervin W Brisseaux (4 of Diamonds) - not sure if it has sense for me.

Sebastian Onufszak (7 of Clubs) - I don't understand this work.

not bad:
João Oliveira (King of Hearts);
Raul Urias (2 of Spades).

I like:
Jonathan Foerster (2 of Diamonds);
Evgeny Kiselev (5 of Diamonds);
Brand Nu (7 of Spades).

Kenny Lindström - hahaha - a real Joker (nice).

Anton Repponen (4 of Spades) - COOL!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Vlad, I think it can be crazy but... maybe you should collect more works from these designers (in different styles) or involve more designers and than make project on Kickstarter with 108 or even 162 playing cards. You will propose people to pay not for the deck but for each card (or for combined 54 card set) + designed box, so everyone will be able to choose one-three decks for themselves. It can resolve a problem of tastes a little. You’ll be pioneers in this.

Questions about Kickstarter should be directed to Alex, xmetal, Russell CircleCityCards, lancetmiller on this forum.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I disagree, I think this is more of a really interesting art project than anything like what a deck usually is and as such should be the 54 cards as listed, tastes be damned!  Think of it as an exhibition; you don't have to like everything.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I disagree, I think this is more of a really interesting art project than anything like what a deck usually is and as such should be the 54 cards as listed, tastes be damned!  Think of it as an exhibition; you don't have to like everything.

I have to think that you didn't understand my idea.

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 04:01:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I caught your idea, and the level of work required to pull it off would be insane.  Ordering cards INDIVIDUALLY?  Keeping track of who ordered what?  Making sure every deck has the requisite number of cards?  Not to mention that eventually, if one artist's card - let's say five of clubs for an example - happens to be wildly popular, it will sell out fast and people making decks after that will have to settle for the other artists' work.

Tell you what: you give that concept a whirl and come back when you're finished.  Then you can tell us just how much more work was involved it putting the whole thing together.  If you have any energy and sanity left, that is...

A simpler though still costly method of getting the results you want: make two or three deck designs with identical backs.  Mix and match individual cards as you please.  But you will have many people not interested in the package due to cost, and the utility of the decks is reduced if they aren't available in backs of different colors.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

Then you have to be wrong.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Quote from: Don Boyer
I caught your idea, and the level of work required to pull it off would be insane.

Don,  →
Quote from: Collector
Vlad, I think it can be crazy but...
;)

... the utility of the decks is reduced if they aren't available in backs of different colors.

My friend, try do not look at this project as a magician   :) Are you going to perform with them? I doubt you’ll reject their other decks with fully custom artworks only because of the same back design. You are cunning. :o :)

Than you are an egoist  :) I propose hard variant which can potentially please more people and count their tastes. You want the simplest variant which will please you and also propose to damn others tastes. :-\

-----------
p.s.

I am sure Vlad & C° will find their best variant.
In the meanwhile - James White - King of Clubs - nice (but Edward Norton will be better as King of CLUBs ["s" - second in abbreviated form])

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I caught your idea, and the level of work required to pull it off would be insane.

Don,  →
Quote from: Collector
Vlad, I think it can be crazy but...
;)

... the utility of the decks is reduced if they aren't available in backs of different colors.

My friend, try do not look at this project as a magician   :) Are you going to perform with them? I doubt you’ll reject their other decks with fully custom artworks only because of the same back design. You are cunning. :o :)

Than you are an egoist  :) I propose hard variant which can potentially please more people and count their tastes. You want the simplest variant which will please you and also propose to damn others tastes. :-\

-----------
p.s.

I am sure Vlad & C° will find their best variant.
In the meanwhile - James White - King of Clubs - nice (but Edward Norton will be better as King of CLUBs ["s" - second in abbreviated form])

cun·ning  (knng)
adj.
1. Marked by or given to artful subtlety and deceptiveness.
2. Executed with or exhibiting ingenuity.
3. Delicately pleasing; pretty or cute: a cunning pet.
n.
1. Skill in deception; guile.
2. Skill or adeptness in execution or performance; dexterity.

I guess I'll take your remark as a compliment, despite that I don't think it had a lot to do with the concept at hand.  And I'm not looking at this project as a magician.  I'm looking at it from the point of view of a deck designer and creator.  I'm not one myself, but I know enough of them to have an idea as to what goes into the process of producing a deck of cards.  There's also the perspective of a deck manufacturer to consider.  I don't think there's been a project like this as a for-sale idea.  The closest I've seen would be promotional giveaway cards representing anything from anime series to tobacco products - collect them all and have a full deck.

You proposed selling a deck of playing cards by the individual card.  In other words, making the job of selling that deck at least 56 times more difficult.  Let's not even take into account the more automated processes involved in making a deck of cards, like collating, sealing and wrapping.

I told you that the level of work would be insane.  Simply put, if you PAY people to do this work, the deck would end up costing a small fortune, because people don't generally work for free.  You'd get the occasional oddball purchase, but financially it would fall flat on its face.  And I don't see a lot of people stepping up to volunteer helping someone make the process of buying playing cards ridiculously more difficult and labor-intensive than it has ever been in the past, since the dawn of the printing press and machine-made cards.

Let's also not forget the perspective of the playing card buyer.  Most people want to make a simple, single decision - what deck will I buy.  You're thinking of taking this simple act and changing it from a single decision by adding 52 more decisions on top of it - which ace of spades do I want, which four of clubs, which jack of diamonds, which nine of hearts, ad nauseum.  It's the equivalent of ordering a beef stew and being asked to go into the kitchen and specify exactly which cubes of beef, cubes of potato, slices of carrots, pieces of onions, drops of gravy, etc. you want in it.  Only the most anal-retentive micro-manager would be interested in even considering such a process just to order a meal or buy a deck of cards.

I'll say it again: you go ahead, implement this idea for a concept deck of your own with a large number of artists creating 104 or 156 different card designs, and you tell us just how easy or difficult it really is.  I don't think you'd even get out of the planning stages before realizing what a humongous boondoggle the entire enterprise would be and changing how you plan to make your deck(s).  If it's such a wonderful idea, perhaps you could steer it into becoming a reality.

Fortunately, I'm thinking Vlad isn't too hot on the idea, since he hasn't said a word about it.  It gives his deck a far greater chance of being a success.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:03:10 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I guess I'll take your remark as a compliment...

A kind of friendly irony, actually :) But it doesn’t matter. What is important – it wasn’t offensive. The same with the message to @Kanped BTW.

Thanks for your encyclopedic information.

As concerns the second part of your message, I prefer to be brief:
1. I have no time for that;
2. I am sure there were a lot of people who thought that the construction of the Hoover Dam was a crazy and unrealizable idea.

Meanwhile, they have new pictures and ask to make a pre-order.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I guess I'll take your remark as a compliment...

A kind of friendly irony, actually :) But it doesn’t matter. What is important – it wasn’t offensive. The same with the message to @Kanped BTW.

Thanks for your encyclopedic information.

As concerns the second part of your message, I prefer to be brief:
1. I have no time for that;
2. I am sure there were a lot of people who thought that the construction of the Hoover Dam was a crazy and unrealizable idea.

Meanwhile, they have new pictures and ask to make a pre-order.

I never took the comment as an insult.  It is rather flattering to call a magician cunning.

To respond:
1. NO ONE has time for that.
2. It was never considered crazy to build the Hoover Dam.  Now, if the contractor had to search among the blocks that went into each and every piece of the dam, choosing one specific block at a time, and doing the same for every bolt, strip of metal, drop of concrete, etc., well...  We'd still be building it, and probably for a few more generations to come.  That is, if the increased cost of that kind of construction didn't entirely bankrupt the government, or simply cause the project to get shut down.

I'll give you the polite version of one of the most important maxims by which to live your life:

K. I. S. S. - Keep It Simple, Silly.

The method you proposed was anything but simple.  The polar opposite, in fact.

Now, back to the topic that we so ungraciously hijacked.

Vlad - how's the deck coming along, now that you're into the pre-order stage?

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 05:18:48 AM »

Vlad

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hi guys. Thanks for your feedback, it was really interesting to hear your thoughts.

We've launched kickstarker, so pledges are welcome :-) You can get a deck just for $32 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abstracts/creative-cards