Variety box v6

Author (Read 4084 times)

Re: Variety box v6
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 05:15:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Deffinetly a nice box for new starters to card collecting so in that regards is could be quite a good product for some people.

But if that was the case, why limit the number to such a low quantity?  Are that few people joining the hobby of card collecting?  I doubt that...

Well at first they released these as limited items and I think they are just keeping with that format. The first two boxes were better for collectors but now it seems to be more for the newer people in the community, but they kept the same "limited edition" sticker on it.

It makes no sense, though, certainly not from a financial standpoint, and not from the standpoint of the newbie collector - unless it's to introduce him or her to the frustrations of missing out on a limited-edition product!  If it was really meant as a "kickstart" for a new collector, they're should be more of them - at least a few hundred, or a thousand.  Not unlimited, not impossible to find, and perhaps it would even stay in stock for a week or so.  In fact, it could have been made a continuing product; one VB runs out, introduce a new one for the n00b.

I think they're still aiming at collectors/D&D fans, or the quantities would be greater, period.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Deffinetly a nice box for new starters to card collecting so in that regards is could be quite a good product for some people.

But if that was the case, why limit the number to such a low quantity?  Are that few people joining the hobby of card collecting?  I doubt that...

Well at first they released these as limited items and I think they are just keeping with that format. The first two boxes were better for collectors but now it seems to be more for the newer people in the community, but they kept the same "limited edition" sticker on it.

It makes no sense, though, certainly not from a financial standpoint, and not from the standpoint of the newbie collector - unless it's to introduce him or her to the frustrations of missing out on a limited-edition product!  If it was really meant as a "kickstart" for a new collector, they're should be more of them - at least a few hundred, or a thousand.  Not unlimited, not impossible to find, and perhaps it would even stay in stock for a week or so.  In fact, it could have been made a continuing product; one VB runs out, introduce a new one for the n00b.

I think they're still aiming at collectors/D&D fans, or the quantities would be greater, period.

I think it's a mix of those two. First of the quantity offered doesn't make it for collectors/D&D fan, period. If they all of a sudden changed how the system works that would just be strange. You don't offer limited quantity on a series and then stop that all of a sudden. What if Smoke and Mirrors V7 was not limited? Sure it would be nice for many people and it may even be a smart move from some standpoints, but that is not what the S&M series is about.

I think it's more a series that they have been offering that has almost fallen to the new collectors. Sure the first couple were good and many collectors got them but overtime the newer VBs have been less appealing to those older collectors and have become more of an appealing item to newer collectors since it offers a nice mix of decks.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, I guess.  They're aiming at intermediate collectors, then...

I just keep looking at what appears to be the most successful and well-liked company in this business, Ellusionist.  Except for a few limited edition decks, damn near everything they've made is available on an ongoing basis.  Most of the limited edition decks can still be obtained (while quantities last) as customer rewards for large purchases.

That, to me, sounds more like a model to attract both collectors and newbies alike.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I just keep looking at what appears to be the most successful and well-liked company in this business, Ellusionist.  Except for a few limited edition decks, damn near everything they've made is available on an ongoing basis.  Most of the limited edition decks can still be obtained (while quantities last) as customer rewards for large purchases.

That, to me, sounds more like a model to attract both collectors and newbies alike.

I would completely agree with that!! That's almost the ideal system in my mind. Although without the limited edition decks we wouldn't have some of the fun of the hunt to get some of these decks.

I think if D&D labeled the VBs as something like "Collection Starter Bricks" (stupid sounding name I know) we would look at it in a better light. That really is what it seems to be now.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I would completely agree with that!! That's almost the ideal system in my mind. Although without the limited edition decks we wouldn't have some of the fun of the hunt to get some of these decks.

I think if D&D labeled the VBs as something like "Collection Starter Bricks" (stupid sounding name I know) we would look at it in a better light. That really is what it seems to be now.

Variety Box, Collector's Kickstart Edition.  Versions 1 through X.  With new and improved foil - 10% more shiny!

I kid, of course.  But they won't do that.  It wouldn't have the same name brand recognition.  The Smoke and Mirrors decks could have all had separate names at release, or at the least the first three different from the next three.  But the name "Smoke and Mirrors" waved in front of collectors is the equivalent of chumming the waters when some sharks are nearby...  Same goes for "Variety Box, version X".

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 01:28:36 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Variety Box, Collector's Kickstart Edition.  Versions 1 through X.  With new and improved foil - 10% more shiny!

I kid, of course.  But they won't do that.  It wouldn't have the same name brand recognition.  The Smoke and Mirrors decks could have all had separate names at release, or at the least the first three different from the next three.  But the name "Smoke and Mirrors" waved in front of collectors is the equivalent of chumming the waters when some sharks are nearby...  Same goes for "Variety Box, version X".

This is the same reason that they keep the boxes in limited quantities. I was just saying that if we were to look at it from a different p.o.v. we might not think so poorly of it. Of course they won't ever change the name :P