Re: First deck design, some advice needed
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Moon, you are doing wonderfully. Keep up the great work and you have my support on your deck. Love it! I would like to see a borderless deck though. Everyone has gone bordered...it makes sense but I mean, it would be nice to have a borderless...I can grab any number of bordered decks if I need to do a reverse.
I'm going with a black border/white face design right now, I tried to figure out a way to make it look good with a white border but that failed on many occasions.
As for the court cards, I wish I could be working on them, but my mind is still fighting over what kind of artwork would be best... but I'm coming close to a compromise with myself. ;)
Like the Artifice V1? That didn't work out too well for E

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Like the Artifice V1? That didn't work out too well for E

But it worked fine for other decks, like the Ralph Lauren Rugby deck.  Not everyone makes decks specifically for magicians to use.  This is more of an artistic project.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
But it worked fine for other decks, like the Ralph Lauren Rugby deck.  Not everyone makes decks specifically for magicians to use.  This is more of an artistic project.

If I remember correctly, that deck is a one way back as well, which, in my personal opinion, I think takes away from the art of a deck.  Subtle is fine, but blatant one way, I dislike both for performance reasons and for aesthetic reasons.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Ellusionist is for magic, not flourishers nor collectors. I've seen plenty of people say that they liked the first Artifice better BECAUSE of the black borders - the people who value good taste over a few magicians' fancy.

And Ace, don't worry, I'm a big fan of perfect two-way backs too. ;)
In fact, I wish I could have two-way faces as well, made impossible by the hearts and spades...
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
In fact, I wish I could have two-way faces as well, made impossible by the hearts and spades...

Impossible you say?  Not in my vocabulary.  I guess it's time for me to join the club and design a deck.  First Ever deck with two way backs AND faces.

I begin tonight.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:08:31 PM by AceGambit »
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I have thought of a few ways to make it happen, but the only way would be to either completely denature the suits or not have them repeated according to the number value. The thing that makes the faces one-way is not just the layout, but the odd numbers of hearts and spades (Clubs are easy to make symmetric, as I have already proven.)

One easy solution would be to mirror everything, but a 10 of hearts with a total of 22 hearts on its surface would look silly... And another solution is, of course, ignoring the number value and going with something much less traditional. I'm not too fond of this option, at least for my current concept, but could consider it in the future for other decks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:30:28 AM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have thought of a few ways to make it happen, but the only way would be to either completely denature the suits or not have them repeated according to the number value. The thing that makes the faces one-way is not just the layout, but the odd numbers of hearts and spades (Clubs are easy to make symmetric, as I have already proven.)

One easy solution would be to mirror everything, but a 10 of hearts with a total of 22 hearts on its surface would look silly... And another solution is, of course, ignoring the number value and going with something much less traditional. I'm not too fond of this option, at least for my current concept, but could consider it in the future for other decks.

Look at the design of the Bicycle Johnny Cupcakes deck...  It's an option if you want to aim for simple symmetry.

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Look at the design of the Bicycle Johnny Cupcakes deck...  It's an option if you want to aim for simple symmetry.

I'm not overly fond of that design.  I have a way to do it, and a few ideas surrounding it, but if I'm gonna do this, I'm going to do it right, I want to actually put together something that might be worthwhile producing.  While I have no intentions of going through the Kickstarter process, or anything similar because I don't really have that kind of time to dedicate, and small business is far outside my purview.  IF I produce something worthwhile, I'd be willing to partner with someone for a fair share of profits to let them do all the legwork.

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm not overly fond of that design.  I have a way to do it, and a few ideas surrounding it, but if I'm gonna do this, I'm going to do it right, I want to actually put together something that might be worthwhile producing.  While I have no intentions of going through the Kickstarter process, or anything similar because I don't really have that kind of time to dedicate, and small business is far outside my purview.  IF I produce something worthwhile, I'd be willing to partner with someone for a fair share of profits to let them do all the legwork.

Consider partnering with someone with previous successful deck-creating experience.  They'd have the necessary skills and knowledge to get the deck made.

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
I love the purple back design! Alice Deck would be so epic! i hope you can get these printed!

Re: Wonderland deck official thread
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Hey guys, I think I've settled with what kind of art I want on the court cards. Since the backs are all made of unshaded solid colors and a clear two-dimensional look, I'm looking at something similar.

Here's something I found while looking through pictures:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/3076777461_0386a03d66.jpg

What I basically want to do is similat in look to paper-cutting art, but kind of opposite in that I want it to be composed of many distinct shapes rather than one single piece per object/character. The idea here is to give it kind of a children's book illustration feel, but at the same time keeping the kind of mysterious look from the back design.

Colors will likely be very simple, but I'll try to have a clear color pattern between suits, for example having purple be the dominant color for clubs, red for hearts, etc.

In Wonderland, each suit has a distinct function; spades are gardeners, clubs are soldiers, diamonds are courtiers and hearts are royalty (Which is different from the traditional french pattern, but keep in mind that this whole world is imagined by a child.) I'll try to reflect this in the court card designs as well.

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Very interesting and unique! I can't wait to see some designs!

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The idea is a good one, I think, but the proof will be in seeing what you come up with.

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That picture you linked to is awesome! If you had something similar to that for your court cards it would knock this deck out of the park!!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Oh, an interesting back design (1st one).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Haven't heard anything about this deck in a while... hows it going?

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Did you not see the second one? ::)
Haven't heard anything about this deck in a while... hows it going?
There's been some progress on the queens, the queen of diamonds is almost finished and the queen of spades is being designed. I'll probably change a few things on the queen of hearts too, and once all the queens are done, I'll probably do the jacks next, along with the ace of hearts.

The ace of hearts is gonna take the role of the ace of spades in the deck. In the classic french pattern, royalty is represented by the spades suit; in Wonderland, that role goes to the hearts(spades are gardeners, diamonds courtiers, and clubs soldiers.)

I know you already subscribed, but I'll leave the link to the facebook page for others as well. ;)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderland-Playing-Cards/274448472627979

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Did you not see the second one? ::)
Yes, I saw and I like first one more :)

...but I'll leave the link to the facebook page for others as well. ;)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderland-Playing-Cards/274448472627979

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Would you mind elaborating as to what you don't like in the second one? Criticism is always appreciated, and the design isn't necessarily completely final yet. :P

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Would you mind elaborating as to what you don't like in the second one? Criticism is always appreciated, and the design isn't necessarily completely final yet. :P
Look at my avatar (colors) and you'll understand everything ;) They both are nice - I like 1st simply more but (depending on faces) I'll buy your deck with the second one too 8)

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Looking good so far moon, Good luck :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Moon!! I missed you tons! LoL I hope your wonderland deck is doing okay. I personally can't wait to see your Queen of Spades... since that is my favourite card. ^_^
anyway good luck!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
I'm definitely going for the second back, the color is definitely special and I like the design as well, not sure if i've seen another back with that color. Good luck in your progress! Count me in if these make it to kickstarter.