You are Here:
Scarlett Tally-Ho No.13 by KWP (KS)

Author (Read 21389 times)

Re: Scarlett Tally-Ho No.13 by KWP (KS)
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

The problem with this whole Ultra Limited campaign is that it has alienated many of his loyal costumers who, for whatever reason, did not get in on this.  I understand the limited decks but I think an unlimited or maybe just less limited version should have been made available as well. Mayhaps minus the bells and whistles but some version of it for all would have been great. Not to mention it would have bolstered his sales that much more.
Think about how many companies offer multiple versions of their products to procure as many consumers as they can from as many demographics as they can.

The whole idea's been beaten to death in the previous posts on this topic.

It's simple - money talks.  His loyal, money-spending customers wanted a release that fit this pattern, so he chose this pattern.  It's a matter of time to see how successful it is for him - it's looking pretty successful so far, considering that it's completely sold out.  It's in how well he'll be able to target his audience with add-ons, talking them into increasing their pledges.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in.....
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Poster, print, decks for me.

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I love the idea of having display decks, but kinda wish he'll also release some sort of a coin as an add on too
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
This is going to be a rather unusual project from this point out.  There will be no new backers unless someone backs out, so the only way to breathe more money into the project would be by enticing the present backers to spend more money...  I can't say I've seen a project like this before.

I haven't seen one like this before either. It's an interesting experiment. Looking forward to how it plays out.

It has to be a fun problem to be faced with. I have never seen another Playing Card Kickstarter sell out entirely before. What bigger compliment could there be?

Jackson wasn't the first to run a campaign with only limited tiers.  The Venexiana Gold campaign also did this,  and was completely sold out within the first day or so. However,  it had a shorter funding period of 4 days. Similar concept,  just that Jackson's campaign runs longer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:30:07 PM by Sher143 »

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This is going to be a rather unusual project from this point out.  There will be no new backers unless someone backs out, so the only way to breathe more money into the project would be by enticing the present backers to spend more money...  I can't say I've seen a project like this before.

I haven't seen one like this before either. It's an interesting experiment. Looking forward to how it plays out.

It has to be a fun problem to be faced with. I have never seen another Playing Card Kickstarter sell out entirely before. What bigger compliment could there be?

Jackson wasn't the first to run a campaign with only limited tiers.  The Venexiana Gold campaign also did this,  and was completely sold out within the first day or so. However,  it had a shorter funding period of 4 days. Similar concept,  just that Jackson's campaign runs longer.

haha, that's right! I spaced on those probably because mine are locked up in a black box. I need to fix that situation.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I love the idea of having display decks, but kinda wish he'll also release some sort of a coin as an add on too

Now for me, the coins are probably one of the least desirable items in a deck campaign.  After you have a handful of them, then what?  You're going to become a private-press numismatist?  How many card covers designed after deck ideas does one need or desire?  I felt the same way about dice after a while.  Circle City Cards started it with the Bicycle Americana deck, then every deck producer and his cousin was making custom dice.  It begs the question, "Just how many six-sided dice does one person need?"  Even hard-core gamers tend to use more than just the humble six-sider, and if they do find a gaming system that uses more, they're not using THAT much more that they need a handful of them every deck campaign.  I wouldn't know what to do with them, except perhaps invent the sport of dice target throwing - it's like table-top curling but not as cold...  :))

But that's just me.  People want what they want, period.  Who am I to argue?

There's a BIG difference between a four-day campaign and a 30-day campaign.  He sold out in 48 hours - in theory, he could simply twiddle his thumbs for the next four weeks!  But no, he's looking for ways to make customers happy enough to part with more cash.  Don't misunderstand me - there is NOTHING wrong with making people happy to part with their cash!  It's just that because of the campaign limitations, instead of selling his wicked-cool extras to a wide and broad audience, he's selling them to less than 500 people worldwide.  The potential at that point seems limited to me.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
He could have offered an unlimited standard deck and increase the number of people pledging for his campaign,  but that doesn't necessarily translate to more funds/profit as evidenced by his previous Tally Ho and Silver Arrow Deck. Although this campaign seems limiting,  it has already surpassed the amount of money raised in either of the two previously mentioned campaigns. Jackson has learned to identify what his consumers want,  and that's limited edition decks.  Less people willing to pay more but raise much more money,  versus much more people paying less and therefore raising not as much money. Furthermore,  he's already found a way to persuade that group of 500 backers to pay more -  display decks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:03:14 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2014, 01:42:20 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
He could have offered an unlimited standard deck and increase the number of people pledging for his campaign,  but that doesn't necessarily translate to more funds/profit as evidenced by his previous Tally Ho and Silver Arrow Deck. Although this campaign seems limiting,  it has already surpassed the amount of money raised in either of the two previously mentioned campaigns. Jackson has learned to identify what his consumers want,  and that's limited edition decks.  Less people willing to pay more but raise much more money,  versus much more people paying less and therefore raising not as much money. Furthermore,  he's already found a way to persuade that group of 500 backers to pay more -  display decks.

I say that is probably true. It is really somewhat a 2 sided coin. If you are one of the backers, you are probably pleased you are getting the decks. If not, you are just gonna complain why he aint making more.

If he released a standard deck for the general public, he sure may get an additional 500 backers getting a deck or 2. But by limiting it to his current backers, and setting another limit for the display decks at 4 per backer. He might as well get everyone pledging 4 decks for not only its design, usability, and now limit-ability as well.

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very true, Sher and PurpleIce. Plus, as we have seen a couple of times in the past, a lot of collectors take offense when extra decks are added to limited editions (even though they still may be limited in the truest sense of the word),and many abandon their pledges. Some new backers come in, and some older ones leave so at times, I can imagine that it's a push. JR's designs are so desirable that it may not be as big of an issue, but I personally would hate to be in his shoes if that onslaught of complaints started rolling in. From a creator's standpoint, it's probably very interesting to see the numbers as to what tiers/decks/add-ons sell how fast, and to how many different backers. That's invaluable information that can be utilized to tailor the next project. I'm just happy that JR and some of the other creators care enough to find out what backers want and do their best to give us items that make us happy, and provide value, instead of just saying that it is what it is. It's a fun time to be a collector!

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2014, 02:58:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

These aren't really apt comparisons.  The Scarlett Tally Ho is a straight-up Kickstarter proiect that (so far) appears to be slated to run out its term.  The KW Tally Ho deck was just that, Kings Wild, not a Kickstarter project.  The Silver Arrow decks were on KS, but never made it to term - the project was canceled before it was scheduled to end by Jackson himself, so technically it raised zero dollars as a result.  It's more like comparing apples, transmission fluid and argon gas - they don't have enough in common.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:59:17 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Jackson - Really glad you kept the symbolism of the Orb in the KoC. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:17:47 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Don, as far as dice, DMs generally have close to a hundred if not more of them. Helps when doing multiple enemy attacks, players without them come, different things require them. Also I know there is an RPG someone told me bout once that each player needed lie 50 of them.

I really enjoy coins, I can add something people have not seen to my show.

As far as the deck, as expected its amazing.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2014, 06:46:01 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Friendly reminder time.

Six hours left on this campaign. No slots available at the moment, but check it in the final half hour and some should show up. It's the nature of people to sit on pledges and let them go in the last minutes for some reason, I don't know why.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Friendly reminder time.

Six hours left on this campaign. No slots available at the moment, but check it in the final half hour and some should show up. It's the nature of people to sit on pledges and let them go in the last minutes for some reason, I don't know why.

They let them go because they're having backers' remorse - suddenly all those deadlines are coming due and a person may not have the funds to cover it all, so they've gotta let something go.  Their loss, some lucky potential backer's gain.

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Friendly reminder time.

They let them go because they're having backers' remorse - suddenly all those deadlines are coming due and a person may not have the funds to cover it all, so they've gotta let something go.  Their loss, some lucky potential backer's gain.

I understand some ditching when they realize they won't be able to cover. It's the keeping a pledge until into the last hour knowing it's going to be dropped is what I can't figure out. Makes much more sense to drop days early so it frees up the slot for someone who's been actively checking the campaign. Maybe it's the whole "if I can't have it no one can!" mentality that causes the pledge dump in the last 10 minutes.

Just glad they were all snatched up. With these pledge slots being so limited it would have been terrible to see any empty pledges at the end.

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I understand some ditching when they realize they won't be able to cover. It's the keeping a pledge until into the last hour knowing it's going to be dropped is what I can't figure out. Makes much more sense to drop days early so it frees up the slot for someone who's been actively checking the campaign. Maybe it's the whole "if I can't have it no one can!" mentality that causes the pledge dump in the last 10 minutes.

Just glad they were all snatched up. With these pledge slots being so limited it would have been terrible to see any empty pledges at the end.

No, I don't see malice behind it.  It's just a case of wishful thinking that they could pay for the pledge, then at the last hour or so realizing it's just not possible and accepting it.  Think of it as similar to the mindset of a shopaholic, but with slightly better impulse control.  The ones without the impulse control are the ones whose cards get declined in the pledge collection stage!

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I agree with Don. I've backed over 200 projects on KS, and it's VERY easy to get excited about a project initially, but have second thought about price, the ability of the creator to deliver (not in this case, of course), a gut feeling that something with the item isn't quite right, or the day of reckoning when you check your list of what you're backing, add everything up, and then meet reality face to face when you consider the chunk of change that you're dropping! I've dropped a few projects in the past, but only because things start looking fishy with product capability claims, the lack of ability for a creator to deliver a product, or too many small issues popping up that aren't addressed adequately by the creator. I've seen a lot of folks drop pledges simply because they want to be a part of the initial rush of group excitement, but then decide that it's not for them. Sucks for both creators and other backers.

I'm excited to see this project remain fully backed and I'm eagerly anticipating the cards! Another great and fun project!

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now that these decks are getting into circulation, I have a question and a prediction.

Question: what do you folks think of it so far?

Prediction: many people will keep their fancy boxes sealed and pristine and open their less-fancy display boxes - meaning that over time, it's the display boxes that will be the more scarce, and possibly the more valuable!

There's a precedent for this in collecting.  (Probably many, but I can think of one.)  When Kenner started releasing Star Wars action figures in 1978, the execs in charge of the project decided that the Jawa looked a bit lacking and wouldn't sell as well - it was the shortest/smallest of the figures and had a chintzy-looking vinyl cape on it, but all the figures were the same price.  They ordered future shipments be packaged with a nicer cloth robe.  Now, that chintzy-cape Jawa figure is the rare one that gets the big bucks, if you can find it mint in the original blister pack.

« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I opened a Gold deck this morning to play solitaire.

The tucks are absolutely gorgeous -- at least +10 glamour spell. The cards themselves are stunning when the light shines on them. To be honest, the gilding isn't as nice as Uusi gold gilded decks -- I don't like the abbreviated corners. But man, for the price, they are 100% great. That's the KS price of course, not the eBay price!

I'm thinking of bringing a Gold or Legacy deck for the auction at this year's 52+J convention -- unless Jackson has similar plans of course!

/bama
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:44:51 PM by bamabenz »

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
WOW!
I only have $899 in my paypal account, so I'm out  :-[ .......... :)
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
There's some here if anyone is interested. A real bargain, so don't miss out
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarlett-Tally-Ho-Playing-Cards-Gold-Gilded-Limited-Display-Decks-Kings-Wild-/111652843441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff072fb1

That's outrageous... shipping for just ONE deck to the UK is 20 dollars?! Lol.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Now that these decks are getting into circulation, I have a question and a prediction.

Question: what do you folks think of it so far?

Prediction: many people will keep their fancy boxes sealed and pristine and open their less-fancy display boxes - meaning that over time, it's the display boxes that will be the more scarce, and possibly the more valuable!

I have opened both my gold gilded deck (#32 / 200) and a display deck.  Both are fabulous.  I don't have an UUSI gilded deck to compare it with, but I'm very happy with it.

I actually like the shape of the pips on this version better than on the first version.  Playing with the first edition, it was not as easy to tell the clubs and spades apart while playing Crazy 8s and drawing cards as it is on this Scarlett edition.  (I admit part of the problem has to do with my 44 year-old eyes, LOL.)  I like the backs better on this newer version, as well.  Though I prefer the coloring of the courts on the original (but I do understand these are colored for the scarlet/red theme).  All in all, I'm very happy with the decks.

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Ignoring the dumb price of the deck....yes if you wrap up one deck nice and secure and put it in a USPS flat rate small box, postage alone is $20.  :(   (go ahead, ask me how I know this, says the guy who's spent about $8000 in postage the last two weeks...)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
There's some here if anyone is interested. A real bargain, so don't miss out
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarlett-Tally-Ho-Playing-Cards-Gold-Gilded-Limited-Display-Decks-Kings-Wild-/111652843441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff072fb1

Haha, well technically it would be $20 for 3 decks shipped...he/she is making about $6 off the shipping rate which could be used for shipping materials (bubble wrap, boxes, etc).....BUT if you're paying $900 for these three decks...you probably don't care at all about $20 shipping. 

(go ahead, ask me how I know this, says the guy who's spent about $8000 in postage the last two weeks...)

Just about to do the same in a month...starting to prepare now haha. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:37:55 PM by see_squared »