You are Here:
Club 808 Update

Author (Read 7449 times)

Re: Club 808 Update
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
the 808 deck has a one way back. if you look at the B in the word club on one side its white in the middle spacing, while on the bottom one its more black
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
the 808 deck has a one way back. if you look at the B in the word club on one side its white in the middle spacing, while on the bottom one its more black

This image is of the box, not the card back.  Many if not most subtle one-way decks don't show the one-way mark on the box image of the card back.  Thus, I'm not seeing what you're referring to.  Did any of the cards survive the snow, so that you could maybe take a photo or a scan and point out what you're referring to?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
it on the box. I will take a pic an circle it for you guys.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I got my Play More Cards kit today, and I had signed up for the membership on February 13th. Regardless, I like the kit quite a bit, and the membership has already paid for itself only 2 weeks into the year. Definitely a good purchase. Maybe I can finally get a group together for a night of poker, now.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
it on the box. I will take a pic an circle it for you guys.

I see it now - inside the curve of the bottom half of the "B".  Good eye!

I got my Play More Cards kit today, and I had signed up for the membership on February 13th. Regardless, I like the kit quite a bit, and the membership has already paid for itself only 2 weeks into the year. Definitely a good purchase. Maybe I can finally get a group together for a night of poker, now.

I received word from Club 808 that mine was being shipped from an area of the country that was hard hit with snow recently, so my kit has been delayed.  Said I should contact them if it doesn't show up in two weeks and they'll send a replacement.  Awfully nice of them, I think.

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
You mean you don't riffle test the decks you get?

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You mean you don't riffle test the decks you get?

Not always, no.  I'll sometimes visually examine the backs with one card inverted, searching for differences - and often I find them.  But remember, you're talking about a guy with over 500 different deck designs - that's over 500 open boxes of cards, man!  If I spent too much time going over each with a fine tooth comb and a magnifying lens, I'd have no time for the simple things, like my wife, TV, work, bathing, dining, etc.  :))

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Just a little update to the international members of club 808. Just received an email reply saying it will be at least 1-2 weeks before the packs r sent out.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just a little update to the international members of club 808. Just received an email reply saying it will be at least 1-2 weeks before the packs r sent out.

Quoting from an email Patricia Kevill of USPC Customer Relations sent to me 26 Feb.:
The International and Canadian Kits will be sent out next week.

It'll probably take a while to fill them all, but they may come quicker than you thought.

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Uncut Griffin sheets, available now. $9.98 each, plus shipping.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
Here's the entire email for the curious:

Our March articles, interview, contest, merchandise, and more are live on Club 808. In this month's selection of exclusive content, you'll find:

An all-new monthly feature called "What's On Deck" that lets Club 808 members in on top secret Bicycle® Brand News
    An interview with the founding members of Club Tattoo, including Chester Bennington (lead singer of Linkin Park), and Sean and Thora Dowdell
    The newest cocktail recipe from master mixologist Molly Wellman
    A new contest with a prize signed by Club Tattoo founders Chester Bennington, Sean Dowdell, and Thora Dowdell—as well as the members of Linkin Park
    New articles to read and share
    Brand-new merchandise in the Club 808 shop (including uncut sheets of the Griffin Deck)

The only new merchandise would be the uncut sheets, which are limited to 4 per and absurdly cheap compared to other uncuts I've seen.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
got my play more cards kit two days ago. I signed up late for the club (the 15th I believe), so I'm not sure if everyone already got theirs but just wanted to give a heads up it should be on its way if you haven't. :)

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Uncut Griffin sheets, available now. $9.98 each, plus shipping.

Limit four per member!  But still, that's REALLY cheap for an uncut.  I think the Rider Back uncuts actually cost more than that.

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
You really can't go wrong with the Griffin uncut...$10 for any custom sheet these days is a fantastic deal.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Next paycheck I know what I am getting. also do any of you guys do the contest? I entered one just for the heck of it being stupid and some how I won.

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
got my play more cards kit two days ago. I signed up late for the club (the 15th I believe), so I'm not sure if everyone already got theirs but just wanted to give a heads up it should be on its way if you haven't. :)

Yes! Same here... I signed up for Club 808 on February 13th. I'm not sure if I received the kit because I became a Club 808 member or because I also signed up to become a Play More Cards Ambassador. The letter that comes with the kit references "Play More Cards Ambassador". Although I have not bought anything from the Club 808 Shop, the Play More Cards Kit and whatever else the USPCC has in store for members was well worth the $18.85. My only criticism is that it would have been nice to get one of USPCC letters hand signed by the president of the company (not printed). I know there must be hundreds if not thousands of those letters going out but It would make a nice keepsake for a true collector.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:05:15 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
As I'm reading the posts, I'm proudly sipping on some aqua from my red cup. :))
Yes! Same here... I signed up for Club 808 on February 13th. I'm not sure if I received the kit because I became a Club 808 member or because I also signed up to become a Play More Cards Ambassador. The letter that comes with the kit references "Play More Cards Ambassador". Although I have not bought anything from the Club 808 Shop, the Play More Cards Kit and whatever else the USPCC has in store for members was well worth the $18.85. My only criticism is that it would have been nice to get one of USPCC letters hand signed by the president of the company (not printed). I know there must be hundreds if not thousands of those letters going out but It would make a nice keepsake for a true collector.
Think about what you're saying....HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of letters to sign. You thought Daniel Madison had it rough when signing all those letter to BC members, look at him/her. Talk about arthritis in the making. (Sorry if I used the incorrect allusion).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:48:09 PM by KPopFever605 »
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

In many such cases where a mass mailing like this is going out, if the signature is in pen, there's a good chance that the named person isn't the one doing the signing.  Sign your name a few thousand times or more and you'll know why.  E's Black Club mailing of the Rounders deck was far smaller, because E's customer base is smaller and only a fraction of those joined the Black Club - in that case, I'd say the signature is legit.  But I seriously couldn't imagine the president of a company spending several days writing all those autographs - if only 0.01% of USPC's customer base got a kit, that's still a HUGE amount of signatures.

I'm still floored and astounded that they held such a huge giveaway at all - to members and non-members alike.  Props to their Customer Relations.  (Though it does make you wonder just how much it costs them to produce a deck! :)) )

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Next paycheck I know what I am getting. also do any of you guys do the contest? I entered one just for the heck of it being stupid and some how I won.

What'd you win? Is it card related?? I think there are a bunch of people that might enter them just for fun. I mean I know that whenever I enter a contest I do it just fr kicks. I want to win but I have no expectation of winning.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:45:28 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

What'd you win? Is it card related?? I think there are a bunch of people that might enter them just for fun. I mean I know that whenever I enter a contest I do it just fr kicks. I want to win but I have no expectation of winning.

It can only have been one of two things.  If he won the January contest, he got an uncut sheet of red Rider Backs signed by Neil Patrick Harris.  If he won the February contest, he got an autographed DVD by Sal Piacente on gambling protection methods.

EDIT: I just checked.  The February contest had a winner named "John B."  The January contest didn't have a "John B." as a winner.

I wanted to finally enter a contest, only to discover that this month's contest requires you to take a photo of a playing-cards related tattoo.  I can't get tattoos...  Maybe I'll see about getting a painted one!  That should still count!  (There's a flaw in that plan - it would probably cost more to get the fake tat than I'd be getting from the prize.  This month's prize is an uncut of the Club Tattoo deck signed by the founders of Club Tattoo and the members of Linkin Park - the lead singer is a partner in the company.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:04:28 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I got the dvd.

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Is that info only available to club members? I know I should probably take better advantage of Google :)) but I actually really like the January prize. I don't really know what Mr. Harris has to do with cards but I am a fan so that would've been cool.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is that info only available to club members? I know I should probably take better advantage of Google :)) but I actually really like the January prize. I don't really know what Mr. Harris has to do with cards but I am a fan so that would've been cool.

You're kidding, right?  You sure you're an NPH fan?

He recently produced a play in Los Angeles that focused on magician's skills, and, oh yeah, he's the PRESIDENT of the Board of the Academy of Magical Arts, the group that operates the MAGIC CASTLE in LA!  He's got a long-running rep as a magician and has performed at the Castle.

The contest info is available only to club members because only club members can enter the contests.  If you haven't joined yet, what the @!#% are you waiting for!  For less than nineteen bucks a year, it's not just a bargain, it's a steal!

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Ah well I know he's been associated with magic and I guess I didn't do enough digging as I thought it was more of a hobby. I'm more a fan of his acting endeavors.

And yes, I'm still regretting the fact that I haven't bought the membership yet... I think my wallet is itching to be used right now.... Ugh well missed out on a bunch of things but I know for a fact that there will be much much more.

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2013, 01:41:38 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

It can only have been one of two things.  If he won the January contest, he got an uncut sheet of red Rider Backs signed by Neil Patrick Harris.  If he won the February contest, he got an autographed DVD by Sal Piacente on gambling protection methods.

EDIT: I just checked.  The February contest had a winner named "John B."  The January contest didn't have a "John B." as a winner.

I wanted to finally enter a contest, only to discover that this month's contest requires you to take a photo of a playing-cards related tattoo.  I can't get tattoos...  Maybe I'll see about getting a painted one!  That should still count!  (There's a flaw in that plan - it would probably cost more to get the fake tat than I'd be getting from the prize.  This month's prize is an uncut of the Club Tattoo deck signed by the founders of Club Tattoo and the members of Linkin Park - the lead singer is a partner in the company.)

I have a friend who does henna, so I might do that.