You are Here:
Expert at the Card Table Playing Cards (Limited edition) Deck

Author (Read 5755 times)

HocusPocusMagicMax

• Newcomer
Hey everyone, Max here from Hocus Pocus,

Just wanted to let everyone know the Expert at the Card Table Playing Cards (Limited edition) Deck is now in stock and ready to ship!

We are now offering the lowest price on the market for this amazing deck!

Limited edition, only 1500!

Check them out here!

http://hocus-pocus.com/prod/33651/Expert-at-the-Card-Table-Playing-Cards-Limited-Edition-Deck

Hocus Pocus Magic Inc.
1(800)407-4040
max@hocus-pocus.com

Re: Expert at the Card Table Playing Cards (Limited edition) Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Even though there are lots of EATCT and Erdnase themed decks out there, I still like them :)

The deck features the Bee back design within borders... and so I'm assuming that the deck was printed by USPCC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
We've had a lot of interest in these over at Penguin, and the initial assumption was that they were printed by EPCC/LPCC based on the sideways tuck.

I have emailed with Bill Kalush as well as USPCC, and they have confirmed that the deck is not from any of them.

Since Murphy's is the distributor of the deck, I've checked with them and this was the response I received:

"These come from an overseas supplier that is a boutique printer, but doesn’t provide their actual printing company name. There is no printing information on the deck."

Not a lot to go on.  I have a deck on order and will post more impressions and photos once I can get some hands-on time with them.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:30:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Even though there are lots of EATCT and Erdnase themed decks out there, I still like them :)

The deck features the Bee back design within borders... and so I'm assuming that the deck was printed by USPCC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

The Bee Diamond Back is one of the most heavily copied card back designs in the world.  USPC tries to chase down the look-alikes, but it's like trying to empty a swimming pool in a rain forest with an eye-dropper.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Thanks everybody, for the info provided so far. Indeed, until somebody gets to open a deck and put them through some use, it'll be impossible to know what the quality is like.

Whichever company has printed it, they clearly have no fear of the USPCC's legal team.

That aside, the tuck looks interesting... because it's printed to look like white leather. I don't recall seeing anything like that before. On the other hand, foil has been so often, that it's now becoming rare not to see foil on tucks.

(For the record, I like foil on tucks!)

I've ordered a few of these decks, because I'm genuinely curious to see what the quality is like from the unnamed printer. If it's any good, then I'll order a brick or so.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So here's what I have, it was produced by Haim Goldenberg (Expert Decks), they handle very well, it definitely has the Taiwan plant feel and "Smell". They have the smooth feel and imprint of the Master Finish. I would still put my money on it coming from the Taiwan plant.

Note: The tuck is a smooth white paper, the "Book Look" is printed on, its not embossed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:22:34 PM by Anthony »

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Awesome!

Thanks for the update brother. A fair few seem to have made use of the Taiwan factory without going through EPCC or LPCC... but in each case, they've not had the ultra-slick coating that LPCC and EPCC have utilised, and so the cards have a little more friction. I guess the difference would be a little too subtle for most to notice though.

If these really have come from the taiwan factory, then I will definitely order more, because I love the stuff from that plant, because the card stock is top notch, and the cards are traditionally cut! :D

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm not a gambling man, so I won't say I'm 100% on the printer, but the smell is what is leading me to really lean that way, and to my touch, ZEN Pure in one hand and these in the other, pretty much identical.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 11:10:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm not a gambling man, so I won't say I'm 100% on the printer, but the smell is what is leading me to really lean that way, and to my touch, ZEN Pure in one hand and these in the other, pretty much identical.

It was the same printer used by Expert and Legends in Taiwan.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 09:42:30 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Marcus found this "Little" error on the deck, very disappointing

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I'm sure I'm not the first to notice it, but misspelling the only name on a deck themed upon that very person('s book) is unfortunate to say the least.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
they handle very well

My deck handles like crap.  It won't fan, and it's thin and papery feeling.

Also, Victor posted on his FB group that he contacted Haim Goldenberg and he says he has nothing to do with this deck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:26:27 AM by PrincessTrouble »

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
they handle very well

Also, Victor posted on his FB group that he contacted Haim Goldenberg and he says he has nothing to do with this deck.

I take just about anything Victor says with a LARGE grain of salt, about the size of Gibraltar.

I'm a little surprised, considering the printer the deck originated from.  Could be the producer cheaped out on the paper.  It's like an old movie theater I once worked for - they bought the best brand for the speakers/sound system, but the cheapest models they make, leading to some rather underwhelming results.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Thanks for that bit of info. Saved me a couple bucks. The only way I can go for papery thin feel anymore is on handmade(ish) decks.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I got these yesterday afternoon.  Haven't had a chance to spend much time with them yet, but here are some impressions:

The cards themselves look great.  The White/Grey/Gold back design looks fantastic.  That's about the best thing going for the deck.

I compared the sideways tuck to a NOC V3S deck, and there are some noticeable differences in the design.  They are 99% similar, but the flap is a different shape.

The feel of the cards is similar, but inferior to, decks from EPCC/LPCC.  They don't fan as well.  The edges are very smooth

So I do think there's a good chance that this deck came from the same Taiwan factory, but is on a lesser-quality stock/finish/coating that what Expert and Legends use.

The leather texture printing on the tuck looks good at a distance, but not so great close-up.

This had the potential to be a great deck, but misses on enough points that I'd probably only recommend it if you're obsessed with EATCT, and even there we're well aware of the Joker typo.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Thank you Kevin, for the review of the deck, and thanks also to everybody on the thread that has given their thoughts on the deck.

The reviews are making me more and more curious... because whilst I can work with a deck featuring a mediocre two-way back design, handling really is the make or break factor for me.

The opinions on how this deck handles appears to be somewhat divided. Whilst nobody (so far) is saying that the handling trumps that of LPCC or EPCC, it's a split decision between whether the cards are better than average or not.

Whilst I don't have the deck yet, my suspicion is that they are printed at the Taiwan factory, and that they use the factory's "standard" coating (and not the coating that LPCC and EPCC use for their cards -- a guess would say that particular coating cannot be used without printing via LPCC or EPCC).

Hopefully my order will arrive in the upcoming week, and when it does, I'll share my thoughts on the stock, coating, embossing, and overall handling.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you Kevin, for the review of the deck, and thanks also to everybody on the thread that has given their thoughts on the deck.

The reviews are making me more and more curious... because whilst I can work with a deck featuring a mediocre two-way back design, handling really is the make or break factor for me.

The opinions on how this deck handles appears to be somewhat divided. Whilst nobody (so far) is saying that the handling trumps that of LPCC or EPCC, it's a split decision between whether the cards are better than average or not.

Whilst I don't have the deck yet, my suspicion is that they are printed at the Taiwan factory, and that they use the factory's "standard" coating (and not the coating that LPCC and EPCC use for their cards -- a guess would say that particular coating cannot be used without printing via LPCC or EPCC).

Hopefully my order will arrive in the upcoming week, and when it does, I'll share my thoughts on the stock, coating, embossing, and overall handling.

Go look for the free issue of CARD CULTURE that 52+J made available last summer - the link is on this forum, probably in this board.  In it, there's an article I wrote that sums up the stocks and finishes used by Expert PCC.  In plain terms, it's not a special coating - they import their papers from a secret source somewhere in Europe.  "Coating" and "finish" are not interchangeable terms - the finish is the texture of the surface of the cards.  Expert's card stocks vary in thickness AND in depth of the embossing used to create that texture, whereas most companies have stock that's just "embossed" - same depth from deck to deck.

The Taiwan plant has the know-how to make quality cards now, but the paper Expert uses is Expert's, not the plant's, and clearly isn't the paper that was used on this project.  So yes, there will be similarities in appearance and quality but the handling is not as good.

You asked about whether the cards are "better than average."  If your idea of average is anything made by Expert, the answer has to be "no."  If your idea of average is "anything made on planet Earth," perhaps they're better, but that's a pretty low hurdle to vault.  "Average" is going to depend on what pool of cards/manufacturers you are using as a reference to determine where the average comes from.

Also, bear in mind the possible issue with smooth edges - if they're smooth like what MPC produces since they got their new laser cutter, they're probably also not beveled at the edge like die-cut cards, making them impossible to weave or faro shuffle in either direction.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I agree that "good" or "average" are relative terms when it comes to card handling.

I would not categorize USPCC or EPCC/LPCC as average quality cards - they are well above average.  They are simply what we are accustomed to and so anything that's not as good can sometimes feel really sub-par.

These cards feel most similar to Master Finish in terms of their slickness and glossiness, but they are not as smooth handling as Master.  The stock is also not nearly as stiff as Master - it took me much less effort to spring this deck out of the box than a Master finish deck.

I would classify the handling here as average.  I can do perfect Faros with them, I can fan them, spring them, do DL's, various color changes.  These do not Faro equally in either direction - they are definitely more on the traditionally cut side (Face down faros are easy, face-up are much more difficult).

Many decks that come from overseas I would classify as below-average.  I'd classify these as similar to (or maybe even a small step above) an MPC deck - depending on your personal preferences.

It's not an unusable deck, you could certainly use it for many effects or for card games.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty

Go look for the free issue of CARD CULTURE that 52+J made available last summer - the link is on this forum, probably in this board.  In it, there's an article I wrote that sums up the stocks and finishes used by Expert PCC.  In plain terms, it's not a special coating - they import their papers from a secret source somewhere in Europe.  "Coating" and "finish" are not interchangeable terms - the finish is the texture of the surface of the cards.  Expert's card stocks vary in thickness AND in depth of the embossing used to create that texture, whereas most companies have stock that's just "embossed" - same depth from deck to deck.

The Taiwan plant has the know-how to make quality cards now, but the paper Expert uses is Expert's, not the plant's, and clearly isn't the paper that was used on this project.  So yes, there will be similarities in appearance and quality but the handling is not as good.

You asked about whether the cards are "better than average."  If your idea of average is anything made by Expert, the answer has to be "no."  If your idea of average is "anything made on planet Earth," perhaps they're better, but that's a pretty low hurdle to vault.  "Average" is going to depend on what pool of cards/manufacturers you are using as a reference to determine where the average comes from.

Also, bear in mind the possible issue with smooth edges - if they're smooth like what MPC produces since they got their new laser cutter, they're probably also not beveled at the edge like die-cut cards, making them impossible to weave or faro shuffle in either direction.

When I mentioned that I thought the coating was going to be different to what LPCC and EPCC use, I did indeed mean the coating.

I'm fully aware that the term "finish" is pretty much meaningless for USPCC cards‎, and terms like cambric finish, air cushion finish , linon finish, unicorn blood finish, etc, are nothing more than branding terms for one and the same thing.

These decks are obviously not USPCC‎ cards, hence why any reference to the term "finish" does have meaning to it. I know that any EPCC and LPCC "finish" means the combination of card stock, coating, and embossing pattern (and possibly other factors also).

Anyhow, I didn't mention "finish" as being different in the quoted post-- I specifically mentioned that I suspected that the COATING would be inferior to what EPCC and LPCC use, because LPCC and EPCC use a special coating on their diamond/master finish cards and classic finish cards which other output from the Taiwan factory doesn't use. I have absolutely no reason to believe that the imported card stock comes pre-coated when they are picked up by LPCC or EPCC.

For example, the Play Fair deck by Kei Izumi, and the Fatboy and Amour decks by Coterie 1902 -- Whilst the card stock and embossing appears to be very very similar (and possibly the same), the coating is very easy to identify as being different, because those cards are not anywhere near as slick.

My white EATCT decks arrived earlier in the week and I've had a chance to put them through the usual works. The cards definitely are from the Taiwan plant that LPCC and EPCC use.

The card stock feels almost identical to that of a diamond/master finish deck... and so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's the same. However, the handling is very very different.

The white EATCT cards don't handle particularly great out of the box (for the first time) -- the first fan I did was terrible. Unlike master/diamond finish decks, the white EATCT cards need to be broken in... after that, they fan much better.

The embossing pattern on the cards appears to be the same as master/diamond finish cards... although the EATCT cards are embossed to a slightly greater depth.

The coating on the EATCT cards is definitely different to what LPCC and EPCC use. It's not bad... but definitely not up to LPCC and EPCC standard. Whilst the EATCT cards may be okay for a number of magic tricks, for gambling demos they aren't particularly great -- my fingers are very strong, but due to the coating not being slick enough, I found push-through false shuffles to be quite tough.

I reiterate that I didn't find the cards to have "bad" handling... but comparison to EPCC and LPCC ‎handling would definitely make the EATCT handling seem "bad", and "cheap".

Although the back design is a blatant rip off (albeit with very slight modification) to the EATCT decks printed by USPCC, I like the look of the cards. I even liked the tuck.

Overall, I don't regret purchasing these decks :)

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 02:22:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

When I mentioned that I thought the coating was going to be different to what LPCC and EPCC use, I did indeed mean the coating.

I'm fully aware that the term "finish" is pretty much meaningless for USPCC cards‎, and terms like cambric finish, air cushion finish , linon finish, unicorn blood finish, etc, are nothing more than branding terms for one and the same thing.

These decks are obviously not USPCC‎ cards, hence why any reference to the term "finish" does have meaning to it. I know that any EPCC and LPCC "finish" means the combination of card stock, coating, and embossing pattern (and possibly other factors also).

Anyhow, I didn't mention "finish" as being different in the quoted post-- I specifically mentioned that I suspected that the COATING would be inferior to what EPCC and LPCC use, because LPCC and EPCC use a special coating on their diamond/master finish cards and classic finish cards which other output from the Taiwan factory doesn't use. I have absolutely no reason to believe that the imported card stock comes pre-coated when they are picked up by LPCC or EPCC.

For example, the Play Fair deck by Kei Izumi, and the Fatboy and Amour decks by Coterie 1902 -- Whilst the card stock and embossing appears to be very very similar (and possibly the same), the coating is very easy to identify as being different, because those cards are not anywhere near as slick.

My white EATCT decks arrived earlier in the week and I've had a chance to put them through the usual works. The cards definitely are from the Taiwan plant that LPCC and EPCC use.

The card stock feels almost identical to that of a diamond/master finish deck... and so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's the same. However, the handling is very very different.

The white EATCT cards don't handle particularly great out of the box (for the first time) -- the first fan I did was terrible. Unlike master/diamond finish decks, the white EATCT cards need to be broken in... after that, they fan much better.

The embossing pattern on the cards appears to be the same as master/diamond finish cards... although the EATCT cards are embossed to a slightly greater depth.

The coating on the EATCT cards is definitely different to what LPCC and EPCC use. It's not bad... but definitely not up to LPCC and EPCC standard. Whilst the EATCT cards may be okay for a number of magic tricks, for gambling demos they aren't particularly great -- my fingers are very strong, but due to the coating not being slick enough, I found push-through false shuffles to be quite tough.

I reiterate that I didn't find the cards to have "bad" handling... but comparison to EPCC and LPCC ‎handling would definitely make the EATCT handling seem "bad", and "cheap".

Although the back design is a blatant rip off (albeit with very slight modification) to the EATCT decks printed by USPCC, I like the look of the cards. I even liked the tuck.

Overall, I don't regret purchasing these decks :)

Expert doesn't coat their cards with anything at the printing plant.  The stock comes with the coating and embossing on it, that's it.  Anything Legends creates out of the Taipei plant is likely the same.  This comes from Bill Kalush - I asked him about it when writing that article.  So if the coating is different, then yes, the stock is different and not what Expert or Legends uses for their products.

BTW: how could you tell the deck had deeper embossing than Diamond/Master stock?  What did you use to measure it?  The embossings on a playing card are barely visible to the naked eye - did you magnify them and use a fine-point micrometer to measure the depth?  (In less obtuse terms, I'm saying there's no accurate way you could tell the depth without specialized tools or unless the manufacturer told you what the depth of each was.)  If anything, deeper embossing should have created a greater "air cushion" effect and better glide, much like how deeper pits in a golf ball allow it to travel further.  You've indicated the cards don't glide as well, so it would imply that the embossing isn't deeper.

The stiffness of the cards as well indicate the likelihood of more shallow embossing - the embossing process penetrates the surface of the card, slightly weakening the structural integrity of the card and giving it a greater ability to bend when flexed, in much the same way that a sheet of metal that's solid will flex less than a sheet of the same metal that's been poked with holes in a regular grid pattern.  You can see this in CARC's old Bee Erdnase series of decks - most were offered in Cambric (embossed) and Ivory (smooth) versions, and invariably the Ivory decks were stiffer and harder to bend than their otherwise-identical Cambric counterparts.

Overall, what you're saying concurs with what a number of people are saying about the deck.  It's not a terrible deck, but it doesn't compare favorably to the typical LPCC or EPCC offerings.  I suppose a bigger question is how well would it compare to a USPC deck?  As much as we might complain about their quality standards, USPC does make a mass-produced deck that's better than most of what's on the market in the US today, even from large companies like Cartamundi, and that thoroughly outstrips the quality of nearly any "dollar-store" deck (with the natural exception of their own dollar-store deck, Maverick).  What would be your assessment of that?