You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 136944 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #425 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
You guys sure are a talented bunch!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #426 on: February 07, 2012, 02:00:01 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Just a quick side note since I had the same problem before. For those who can't see image shack hosted photos here, you have to sign up and log in to image shack first.
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2012, 04:54:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
What do you guys think about me making one of the nines (or if I'm feeling really ambitious, a king) 3D, Like the old movies with the Red and Blue 3d lenses, so when you where the glasses, it will actually look 3d?

Very cool idea.  Done well, a simple blue/red 3-D image can be seen reasonably well with the naked eye.  If you want to use 3-D, really USE it - make different parts of the card at different depths to each other!  I'm already envisioning Kings wielding weapons at you - the most over-used 3-D effect, but that's simply because it has IMPACT!

If we're doing 3-D, I can't imagine packing a 3-D set of glasses is practical - maybe we could print somewhere a link to a reliable supplier of 3-D glasses of ye olde red/blue type...  They tend to be pretty cheap.

I wonder...  USPC makes a SpongeBob deck that's 3-D and the glasses are in the box...  Could we...?

I am sry Derek and Don but I don't understand what you mean!

Really? I think this is what Don means, If so, I fully agree.

When you fan a deck face up you see all the Numbers\Letters and suit pips right? these should be uniform, the same typeface for the Letters\Numbers. The same design for the Spades. Hearts, Clubs and Diamonds.

Everthing inside the Card can be as random as you like but the index pips (what's visible in a face up fan) should be uniform so that the deck can be functional.

Yes - pip uniformity is important.  The rest is up for grabs.  ALL good art decks of any kind use a uniform pip style of some sort.  Without it, you have 54 mini-artworks, not really a usable deck.

I was thinking of Loldudex2. I might have said the wrong name. I know he designed the Diamond and I was referring to him designed the rest of the suits possibly? Or having each one done uniquely by a different artist.

If you're talking about that diamond pip I made, I wasn't planning on that being an ace. I feel we already have a great ace of diamonds. I made that pop for the nine of Diamonds.

Besides, all of the Ace jobs are already taken up.

Loldudex2 - I was suggesting you design the pips for the INDICES, not the aces.  Your diamond pip looked awesome, and if you could make the other three suits in a matching style, I think they'd look great.  Even better if you could design 0-9 and A, J, Q, and K to complete the indices in a matching style.

Here's a random idea. I always thought this would be a decent start or base for a back or maybe an 8 of Diamonds. Not anywhere close to being an actual design just an idea I thought was cool and figured since I can't draw anything beyond a straight line, it might help spark someone else who is more creative.

We already have someone working on the card back who is coming up with good designs.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #428 on: February 07, 2012, 05:06:45 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
But After much debate (in my head), [...]
So I'm not alone with that! Hahaha...

I really like it, but I can't imagine how you'll make it work with spades and clubs. Go ahead, surprise me. :P
Want me to remake it as a digital painting like I said a few pages ago? Though if you're gonna do it with pastel I'll wait for that instead, it would be closer to the final result and I wouldn't have to pick colors myself. ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #429 on: February 07, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I wonder...  USPC makes a SpongeBob deck that's 3-D and the glasses are in the box...  Could we...?
Probably outsourced. :P
I would better see this deck printed by Gemaco, since they accommodate smaller runs more easily. I don't know how they work with outsourced boxes/other items, though. Do they deal with it at all?
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #430 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
What do you guys think about me making one of the nines (or if I'm feeling really ambitious, a king) 3D, Like the old movies with the Red and Blue 3d lenses, so when you where the glasses, it will actually look 3d?

Very cool idea.  Done well, a simple blue/red 3-D image can be seen reasonably well with the naked eye.  If you want to use 3-D, really USE it - make different parts of the card at different depths to each other!  I'm already envisioning Kings wielding weapons at you - the most over-used 3-D effect, but that's simply because it has IMPACT!

If we're doing 3-D, I can't imagine packing a 3-D set of glasses is practical - maybe we could print somewhere a link to a reliable supplier of 3-D glasses of ye olde red/blue type...  They tend to be pretty cheap.

I am sry Derek and Don but I don't understand what you mean!

Really? I think this is what Don means, If so, I fully agree.

When you fan a deck face up you see all the Numbers\Letters and suit pips right? these should be uniform, the same typeface for the Letters\Numbers. The same design for the Spades. Hearts, Clubs and Diamonds.

Everthing inside the Card can be as random as you like but the index pips (what's visible in a face up fan) should be uniform so that the deck can be functional.

Yes - pip uniformity is important.  The rest is up for grabs.  ALL good art decks of any kind use a uniform pip style of some sort.  Without it, you have 54 mini-artworks, not really a usable deck.

I was thinking of Loldudex2. I might have said the wrong name. I know he designed the Diamond and I was referring to him designed the rest of the suits possibly? Or having each one done uniquely by a different artist.

If you're talking about that diamond pip I made, I wasn't planning on that being an ace. I feel we already have a great ace of diamonds. I made that pop for the nine of Diamonds.

Besides, all of the Ace jobs are already taken up.

Loldudex2 - I was suggesting you design the pips for the INDICES, not the aces.  Your diamond pip looked awesome, and if you could make the other three suits in a matching style, I think they'd look great.  Even better if you could design 0-9 and A, J, Q, and K to complete the indices in a matching style.

Here's a random idea. I always thought this would be a decent start or base for a back or maybe an 8 of Diamonds. Not anywhere close to being an actual design just an idea I thought was cool and figured since I can't draw anything beyond a straight line, it might help spark someone else who is more creative.

We already have someone working on the card back who is coming up with good designs.

With the indices, I'm certainly up for the challenge! I will start working on them, and I will let you know how they are going.

Secondly, about the glasses, the USPCC says they can do practically anything with packaging, so I'm sure they could include 3-d , but who knows for how much! It would probably get pretty pricy. My guess is since we will most likely be funding these with kickstarter, why not just buy bulk 3d glasses for pennies a piece, and just include them with every order. We could customize them and everything, and it would be a nice added surprise for our purchasers.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
@Sabacc (although that isn't really your name anymore) and Derek - I understand what you mean, and I agree. I thing you are, all the pips we see when fanning the deck should be the same. However, I think we could pick a different type of red and black than on normal bicycle decks. That can bring out a bit of fancyness in the deck. Maybe we could choose a red between the normal red and the titanium edition red, and a almost blue color for the black pips?
@Walther - Thanks for joining us. We already have many ideas for the back design. However, with a bit of tweaking, your idea could be used for the two of diamonds or something like that.
@LaraKrystleLane - Wow, I love that two! Nice job!
@Robert Butler - Thank you so much for that club, it will definitely be useful!

« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Do you think USPCC would be willing to print index pips on all 4 corners of the card? So this could be a deck useful to leftys as well? If yes, do you think this would be a good idea? I think it would also add style and differentiate our deck from other ones!

« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ok. Here is an updated list of jobs for the deck. If there is a check mark, that means that a draft for that card has already been uploaded by the artist on this forum. For the kings for example, 2 drafts for 2 different kings have been uploaded so there are two √. If you don't have a check mark next to the cards you are working on, please upload a draft as soon as possible.

Back Design - Derek √
Ace of spades - Derek
Ace of hearts - Aaron
Ace of diamonds - Derek
Ace of clubs - zaganh and/or Robert Butler's club design idea √
Kings - Loldudex2 √√
Queens - Moon.exe
Jacks - brown-baggs
Tens - Nathan √√
Nines - Loldudex2
Eights - chdmagicdude
Sevens - Kensei777
Sixes
Fives - Austin
Fours - John
Threes -
Twos - KrystleLane √√
Gaff card - We will see later
Single-faced ad card - Alex
Custom Seal - Alex
Tuck Case - Alex
Brought to USPCC - Alex
We are missing a few drafts and a few artists. Feel free to pick a job, I do not wish to impose one on anyone! Let's keep up the work!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:38:02 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #434 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
here is a question though. how many colors are we using for the deck? Doesn't USPCC have different pricing according to how many colors is going to be used on the prints?

« Reply #435 on: February 07, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
i well do the Eights.

« Reply #436 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
@LaraKrystleLane - If what you say is true, then I will have to start doing my math :/
@Chdmagicdude - thank you for coming again once again
@everyone - Can you please check my posts above, I have some important information!

« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
here is a question though. how many colors are we using for the deck? Doesn't USPCC have different pricing according to how many colors is going to be used on the prints?

This will definitely be a 4-Color Process job. I don't think it needs any extra Spot Colors.
Cheaper printing prices would only be available with a 2 or 3 Spot Color job.

thanks,
Randy

« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
NathanCanadas - I'm working on the Sixes.

thanks,
Randy

« Reply #439 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ok. Here is an updated list of jobs for the deck. If there is a check mark, that means that a draft for that card has already been uploaded by the artist on this forum. For the kings for example, 2 drafts for 2 different kings have been uploaded so there are two √. If you don't have a check mark next to the cards you are working on, please upload a draft as soon as possible.

Back Design - Derek √
Ace of spades - Derek
Ace of hearts - Aaron
Ace of diamonds - Derek
Ace of clubs - zaganh and/or Robert Butler's club design idea √
Kings - Loldudex2 √√
Queens - Moon.exe
Jacks - brown-baggs
Tens - Nathan √√
Nines - Loldudex2
Eights - chdmagicdude
Sevens - Kensei777
Sixes - RandyButterfield
Fives - Austin
Fours - John
Threes -
Twos - KrystleLane √√
Gaff card - We will see later
Single-faced ad card - Alex
Custom Seal - Alex
Tuck Case - Alex
Brought to USPCC - Alex
We are missing a few drafts and a few artists. Feel free to pick a job, I do not wish to impose one on anyone! Let's keep up the work!
Is a 4-Color Process job enough for the whole deck as we will have 10+ different colors and shades?

« Reply #440 on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

Robert Butler

I can make modifications and edit colors upon request.  Thanks

« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
So, Robert (or Mr. Butler, whichever one you prefer), would you be willing to work on the Ace of Clubs or was this just to help a bit? Because I think this would work for the Ace of clubs let alone the indexes.

« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Is a 4-Color Process job enough for the whole deck as we will have 10+ different colors and shades?

Unless a card or two needs Metallic Ink for some reason 4-Color Process is more than adequate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

thanks, Randy

« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Unless a card or two needs Metallic Ink for some reason 4-Color Process is more than adequate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

thanks, Randy
Wow, that's really interesting.
Thx a lot.
Pretty soon we are going to need to do our math though!
PS: Can we put pips on all 4 corners of the cards to benefit leftys and make our deck even more unique, or does USPCC not do that?

« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The USPCC can do that, but is prefer not to. I've had decks with indexes on all the corners, and it made them look weird.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #445 on: February 07, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »

Robert Butler

So, Robert (or Mr. Butler, whichever one you prefer), would you be willing to work on the Ace of Clubs or was this just to help a bit? Because I think this would work for the Ace of clubs let alone the indexes.

I'm willing to help any way you need.  I've tons of experience with deck development.  Just let me know what you need.

« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

Robert Butler

I have a question before I agree on any work.  Who is in charge of this project and planning to see it through? 

« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have a question before I agree on any work.  Who is in charge of this project and planning to see it through?

NathanCanadas is "running" this project, and Alex will be doing the submitting to the USPCC.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ya, what he said lol. We would be glad to have you with us!

« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Robert, it looks like the Threes are the only cards still open.
Would you like to take them?