You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 136976 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #400 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@loldudex2 LOL
@everyone
I wanted to ask, one more time this question:
Do all of our pips need to be placed in the same place from card to card? I think we'd better not.
Please give me feedback on the very rough drafts above. I realise we can't see the 10s written, but I will take care of that tomorrow. g2g to bed, see ya!

The pips - I think that as long as they look like what they're supposed to be (hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds) you can tweak the shape, tweak the placement, whatever you wish.

My one caveat would be that the indices on ALL the card designs need to be left BLANK for now.  We're having a unified design for all the indices to make these cards truly playable and useable for magic.  Also, to that same end, leave at least a thin white border around the edge of you design in order to have a uniform edge appearance for the entire deck.

A suggestion to make the index placements and space allocations simple: take a BASIC Bicycle Rider Back card with a reasonably-centered face, and look at the size and location of those indices.  That is what needs to be blank for your card's index.  Smaller indices would be harder to read, larger ones would come closer to dominating the design.

Do people here like these ideas?  I mean, go nutz with the faces, make them gonzo if you want, or baroque, rococo, Art Deco, his brother Frankie Deco, whatever.  But allow a certain degree of uniformity to each card's design or the deck will be harder to use, and less likely to be used (or purchased).

The Jokers are exempt from the index rule - they're Jokers, they can be whatever you want them to be.  I really like the idea of labeling the index "DISCOURSE" straight down the edge.

A final proposal: Loldudex2's diamond pip was VERY well received.  I propose that HE design the remaining three pips, all to be used in the index, in a similar style to the diamond pip.  If no one objects, we can also leave him to design the letters and numbers.  And naturally, all this is contingent on whether he feels up to the task or not.

If we do use that pip, we should probably thicken the line a bit to make it more visible in small scale.  Otherwise, I think it's one of the more interesting pip designs I've seen in a while.  That's precisely why I think it should be used as a "signature piece" for the deck, printed in the card indices, along with matching pips.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I am sorry, but I do object with the idea of all of us using the same pips. To keep a sense of uniformity, we can all have the same backs and pip placements, but all having the same pips drains from the idea of liberty and craziness behind this deck.
I think all of our pips should be placed in the same place and being about the same size (no HUGE PIPS) so the cards look nice when we fan them, but I STRONGLY disagree with the idea of all of the pips being the same.

« Reply #402 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am sorry, but I do object with the idea of all of us using the same pips. To keep a sense of uniformity, we can all have the same backs and pip placements, but all having the same pips drains from the idea of liberty and craziness behind this deck.
I think all of our pips should be placed in the same place and being about the same size (no HUGE PIPS) so the cards look nice when we fan them, but I STRONGLY disagree with the idea of all of the pips being the same.

Nathan, you do realize that I'm only talking about uniformity of the INDEX pips, right?  That the pips on the card face aside from the index pips can be tweaked to the artist's content?  If you've ever played with a deck that has 52 different indices, you should know how it gets old fast.  We want a cool, original deck, but we also want to make it functional and sellable.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #403 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I have to agree with Don on this one. The only thing that will bring the beck together would be the back and the corner pips. Everything else will be completely original and crazy. I like it :-*
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #404 on: February 06, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
What do you guys think about me making one of the nines (or if I'm feeling really ambitious, a king) 3D, Like the old movies with the Red and Blue 3d lenses, so when you where the glasses, it will actually look 3d?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #405 on: February 06, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I can't see 3D, so I don't care for the actual functionality with 3D glasses, but for the classic red and blue look, GO FOR IT! ;) I also love your king designs, they look as mad as we need them to be. :P

Derek, your ace of diamonds is FANTASTIC! :D
And Aaron, did you consider my idea of meaking the heart plush-like, like the heart of a teddy bear? You could add a square patch along with the stiching. ;D

Nathan... Get a Bicycle promo deck from USPC and go play a game of poker with it. Or even just fan it. You'll get the point. ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:31:31 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #406 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
A 3D card would be awesome! Obviously it would only work if you had 3D glasses but even without them you would still be able to use the card for it's intended purpose with no problems. It would be awesome if the 3 of Diamonds was 3D! haha
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I am sry Derek and Don but I don't understand what you mean!

« Reply #408 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I am sry Derek and Don but I don't understand what you mean!

Really? I think this is what Don means, If so, I fully agree.

When you fan a deck face up you see all the Numbers\Letters and suit pips right? these should be uniform, the same typeface for the Letters\Numbers. The same design for the Spades. Hearts, Clubs and Diamonds.

Everthing inside the Card can be as random as you like but the index pips (what's visible in a face up fan) should be uniform so that the deck can be functional.
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #409 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I can't see 3D, so I don't care for the actual functionality with 3D glasses, but for the classic red and blue look, GO FOR IT! ;) I also love your king designs, they look as mad as we need them to be. :P

Derek, your ace of diamonds is FANTASTIC! :D
And Aaron, did you consider my idea of meaking the heart plush-like, like the heart of a teddy bear? You could add a square patch along with the stiching. ;D

Nathan... Get a Bicycle promo deck from USPC and go play a game of poker with it. Or even just fan it. You'll get the point. ::)
Ya I am going to make it look plushlike that was just a quick sample I threw together :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #410 on: February 06, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »

Robert Butler

I have a Club I created and decided I would offer it up if anyone likes it.  If the style appeals to you or anything similar I could work on it.  Let me know...

« Reply #411 on: February 06, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That looks awesome and very unique! But how will it show up on a white card instead of black?

« Reply #412 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »

walther

Here's a random idea. I always thought this would be a decent start or base for a back or maybe an 8 of Diamonds. Not anywhere close to being an actual design just an idea I thought was cool and figured since I can't draw anything beyond a straight line, it might help spark someone else who is more creative.

« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »

Robert Butler

Here you go Evan, this is what you would do on a white background.

« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's a cool looking club! Although it doesn't go well with the Diamond pip. So it should be decided if the pips will all be designed by Evan or if they will each be unique. I also like that back design for a starting design. With some work that could be an awesome back.

« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I like the club, but I it's for the Ace of Clubs, I think it looks kinda similar to the Ace of diamonds, which isn't a bad thing, but it might seem like if two are partially the same, and two are completely different, it may look weird. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY think that club is beautiful, but I am just letting you know what I think.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #416 on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That's a cool looking club! Although it doesn't go well with the Diamond pip. So it should be decided if the pips will all be designed by Evan or if they will each be unique. I also like that back design for a starting design. With some work that could be an awesome back.
Designed by me? no way. I think you may be thinking of someone else...

« Reply #417 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I was thinking of Loldudex2. I might have said the wrong name. I know he designed the Diamond and I was referring to him designed the rest of the suits possibly? Or having each one done uniquely by a different artist.

« Reply #418 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I was thinking of Loldudex2. I might have said the wrong name. I know he designed the Diamond and I was referring to him designed the rest of the suits possibly? Or having each one done uniquely by a different artist.

If you're talking about that diamond pip I made, I wasn't planning on that being an ace. I feel we already have a great ace of diamonds. I made that pop for the nine of Diamonds.

Besides, all of the Ace jobs are already taken up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:34:51 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on for a few. But After much debate (in my head), I finally came up with a very simple and (something I like) design for my 2 of diamonds. This is just a very very rough (using a mouse on pixlr.com) sketch of it. The other suits will be more or less of the same theme. FLOWERS! Because I'm a girly girl like that. .

« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
of course the pips on the corners is not really like that hahaha! And as I understood we are all having the same unified pips right?

« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
of course the pips on the corners is not really like that hahaha! And as I understood we are all having the same unified pips right?

Yes the indices and the pips in the corner will be unified throughout the deck.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
I dunno whats wrong with my computer. iS it just me who ca't see ay of the image shack images....?? If so then Meh for me.. its nice to see everyonereally excited about tjhis.

« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:33 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am having issues seeing some of the photos, but I can see yours, and I quite like it!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:55 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
Maybe we should not post it via imageshack. Attach it as a file or use something else. because I really wanted to see the other photos of their designs.