You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 137022 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2012, 05:59:22 AM »

slyS

• Newcomer
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I happened to come across this thread by chance and I think that this is a wonderful idea!

After reading every posts, here are my thoughts for the deck...

AoS:

Instead of using everyone's name or signature, I suggest that we could design the word 'discourse' to fit into the shape of the spade.

Cards:

As for the cards, I do support Sabacc's suggestion of adding the artist's signature or anything that represents the artist to the card that he/she designed. I think that this is their artwork and we should acknowledged them for their efforts.

Back:

IF its possible, I think that we could follow the idea of having a thin border and the word 'discourse' written diagonally down. However, on top of that, I suggest that we design it in such a way that when we do our fans, the word 'discourse' will link and seems to 'run' from the first to the last card of the fan. In addition, we can design the word 'discourse' to be readable in two directions  in the middle like the ones seen in the enigma deck and make the diagonal pattern appears to fade slowly as it approaches an area of 'white space' surrounding the middle word to make the latter look more outstanding. 

Well these are just my thoughts for this deck, feasible or not will be another question though, Most importantly, I hope everyone will understand what I meant and be able to visualise it. Since this will be the very first deck designed and planned by the members of the discourse forum, I think that it will be nice to have some important signatures of a deck like that AoS and back design to revolve around the word 'discourse'. Feel free to leave your comments!

Also, I will like to know if I can design the 6 of clubs, Thanks!

« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I happened to come across this thread by chance and I think that this is a wonderful idea!

After reading every posts, here are my thoughts for the deck...

AoS:

Instead of using everyone's name or signature, I suggest that we could design the word 'discourse' to fit into the shape of the spade.

Cards:

As for the cards, I do support Sabacc's suggestion of adding the artist's signature or anything that represents the artist to the card that he/she designed. I think that this is their artwork and we should acknowledged them for their efforts.

Back:

IF its possible, I think that we could follow the idea of having a thin border and the word 'discourse' written diagonally down. However, on top of that, I suggest that we design it in such a way that when we do our fans, the word 'discourse' will link and seems to 'run' from the first to the last card of the fan. In addition, we can design the word 'discourse' to be readable in two directions  in the middle like the ones seen in the enigma deck and make the diagonal pattern appears to fade slowly as it approaches an area of 'white space' surrounding the middle word to make the latter look more outstanding. 

Well these are just my thoughts for this deck, feasible or not will be another question though, Most importantly, I hope everyone will understand what I meant and be able to visualise it. Since this will be the very first deck designed and planned by the members of the discourse forum, I think that it will be nice to have some important signatures of a deck like that AoS and back design to revolve around the word 'discourse'. Feel free to leave your comments!

Also, I will like to know if I can design the 6 of clubs, Thanks!

OK, are you SURE you read all the posts?  Because card designs are mostly being done by VALUE, not individually - meaning if you want the 6 of clubs, you're also doing the other three sixes.

I'm trying hard to wrap my head around some of the ideas you suggested for the back, and it's not working.  If you put the word "DISCOURSE" diagonally on the back, you wouldn't see more than a bunch of Ds and a few Is and maybe some Ss when fanning the cards.  Running it down the left edge makes the whole word visible.  Putting different letters in the corner to allow the spelling of "DISCOURSE" would effectively make it a marked deck.  And the whole word-read-the-same-upside-down-and-right-side-up idea has been done: the Enigma deck has it, and the forthcoming Run-It deck will have it as well if it gets off the ground.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but settle in first, read everything CAREFULLY and get some feel for the consensus before dropping in and saying "you should do this."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »

slyS

• Newcomer
Well, I do know that the card designs are mostly being done by value, hence that's why I'm asking if the person in-charge of all the sixes will mind letting me do just the 6 of clubs. I apologise then for phrasing my request wrongly.

As for the back design, I guess my idea is flawed, thanks for pointing that out. Regarding the read-whole-word-up-side-down design that you commented, my first thought was, did the artist for runit deck thought the same too? that once the concept had been used, it cannot be reused again? If enigma can be the first, runit can be the second, why can't we be the third? IMO what matter most is how you are going to use the same concept yet be able to produce something different.

Also I guess your last paragraph must be referring to the signature on the card itself (since that's the only part I used the word 'should'). Well I just feel that people should know who is the artist that designed/draw that artwork unless you are telling me that the ad card will be stating clearly 'who and who did which value, etc'.

Well, as I had said from the start and end of my post, these are just my two cents regarding the deck and your comment is well appreciated. I do know the direction you guys are heading, however, I think that my suggestions aren't off the track yet and I thought that feedback, suggestions and opinion are allowed. Of course if you guys think otherwise, I hereby apologise for posting and wasting your time reading them. Good luck.

« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Comments are fine.  Making a left turn from the right lane isn't.  You're suggesting some major design changes that veer from where things have been heading up 'til now.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Wow, impressive work everyone; I'm really liking where this deck is going  :D

If you guys need any ideas, here are the backs and ad/credits for the collaborative decks I've mentioned before.

Versus, Volume 2 (the logos around the border are those of the designers):

Black Rock Collective, Volume 1:

Black Rock Collective, Volume 2:

None of these decks were printed by the USPCC, and none have two-way backs.

« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm really in love with the versus vol 2 credits card!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Thank you for the input slyS, it was kind of hard to follow but I appreciate it. I'm not sure what I should do with the back since there are about 50 different ideas being put out there.

@Nathan: Can you make a poll for the back design?
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I just had some ideas.
1) The back design is great the way it is with the Ds in a wavy pattern and small borders.
2) Since this is a group made deck of cards and, although everyone will have participated in a manner or another, not everyone will have directly created a card themself. I still think the cards shouldn't have our signatures on the bottom of them.
3) I believe the Ace of Spades should have all of our names, for the credits, no matter how we participated in the project, and in the middle of it, in a contrasting color, should be written "Discourse" on it.
4) The jokers are great the way they are in my opinion, but I believe they should also say Discourse on them in the place where "Joker" should normally be written.
5) The faces should be done the way we choose, but I think they should all be placed in the same place, with small borders, to avoid making the cards too irregular.
6) I think the faces should have small indexes in the corners representing the theme of the face of the card it is placed on.
7) As for the ad card, we can use the normal AC ad card.
I think that solves:
- The jokers problem
- The signature problem
- The pip problem
- The ad card problem
- The back design problem
- The fanning problem

Who agrees?

« Reply #358 on: February 05, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I have made the poll!

« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I have made the poll!

Thanks, thats awesome! I'm working on something special with the back right now  ;D
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ok, can't wait to see it! I really hope people don't choose the third option, because, in my opinion, there is no interest in doing that, as it would copy our style for the AoS and would ruin it for the whole deck... oh well...

« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Haha, split evenly right now. That's exactly what i was NOT hoping for. I'll give it some time though  :-*

« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I'm just wondering, why does the third option have to have a one way back?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'm just wondering, why does the third option have to have a one way back?

Oh, I didn't see that part of it. It doesn't have to be, in fact I would prefer it not to be. I can easily mirror the names so it would be two way.

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
looks like the 2nd option is winning.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
looks like the 2nd option is winning.

That's true but there are so few votes to really get a good picture of what people like. You gotta give it some time for people to cast their opinion. I'm still a fan of the first option.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea i know i was just making the comment.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Well, I do know that the card designs are mostly being done by value, hence that's why I'm asking if the person in-charge of all the sixes will mind letting me do just the 6 of clubs. I apologise then for phrasing my request wrongly.

Sorry slyS, I have a plan for all four of the 6 Cards. They will go together visually and conceptionally. I have a tight deadline with a big project due mid-week but after that I will focus on the 6's (at night) and try to finish them up in a week or two.

I agree with Good@Sabaac. The same designer should be in charge of each of the four suits of their card value. The collaborative decks that Ncyclopedia references are great because each artist was in charge of four cards of the same value which helps the overall look consistent and a lot less "cluttered" if it was treated as a hodge podge and designers were in charge of random cards (ie. if someone had the 10 of Hearts, 6 of Clubs and 8 of Spades). The collaborative decks are also great because the quality is exceptional, and that takes time. I think the design of the Back Card is going a little too fast.

Derek, what about creating 2 or 3 designs you really like, take your time and fine tune them until you are very happy with all of the details and then post them for a vote? I couldn't imagine taking a work-in-progress and pitching them to a client!

thanks, Randy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:22:12 PM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
feel free to contact me if anyone wants ideas and such.

« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Here is what I have been working on for the past few days. Now keep in mind these are sketches and no-where near being finished. The Diamond pip is for the Nine of Diamonds, while the other two are kings. They are supposed to be completely random. Also with the king that is playing poker, I plan to make one of the kings smiling, and one frowning for a subtle one-way back (I don't know what it could be used for, but I thought it would be cool. Also, one of the cards on the poker table will be face up so it can double as a reveal.

I'd know these are crazy and outlandish, but I'd like to hear all criticism!

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/loldudex2/?action=view&current=WorkSoFar.jpg
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I REALLY like that diamond! Its really sharp looking and I love how its open at the top. Very nice work.

« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I REALLY like that diamond! Its really sharp looking and I love how its open at the top. Very nice work.

Why thank you. It really means a lot! This just shows the power of what you can do when you're bored in history class. Do you think I should make the sides thicker, and should I make it skinnier? I will most likely make a few more diamonds and see which ones get the best response.

Secondly, what do you think of the court cards? Are they too weird?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I wouldn't say they're weird but they just aren't my style.

« Reply #373 on: February 05, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I wouldn't say they're weird but they just aren't my style.

I completely understand. I just figured if this is going to be a crazy and outlandish deck, I may as well try to make cards that will make people think "What was he thinking?" or "What's the story behind it?". I'm also trying to implement some of myself into this deck. For example, all of the poses the kings are in are photos I took of myself to base these figures off of, so I could get the body just right. Also, the jacket the king with the shot-gun is holding is an actual jacket I own.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #374 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Looks like the poll is still a tie. I like the wavy one best  :)