You are Here:
Gilded edges on the Aladdin 1002

Author (Read 3678 times)

Gilded edges on the Aladdin 1002
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:42 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Has anyone tried the Aladdin 1002 decks? I'd be interested in knowing if the gilding on the edges affects the performance in any negative way. It looks really interesting, and changes from the usual white edges that we get even on black decks. ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: Gilded edges on the Aladdin 1002
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i saw bicycle bape deck review and it also has the gold edges and it dun fan so i think that this deck dun fan at all .. i do not suggest picking up one of these deck unless it is for your collection

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:50 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I've watched some reviews that said it made them handle badly, and some that said it didn't affect their handling at all.
I ordered some from eBay a couple of months ago, but they haven't arrived yet. I'll be sure to let you know how they affect handling when I get them and open them up. :)
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:00:31 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Handling isn't great. I'm not the best judge since I don't do much card flourishing. I can do a few simple hand fans and it wasn't super easy with these cards. I would prefer regular bikes over the 1002s.

I love the cards though from a collectors stand point. The gilded edges look great and if you don't use them a ton they don't wear a lot. The boxes look fantastic as well (I just wish the card backs were the same color).
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »

Robert Butler

I own two of them and as a reviewer I tore into one of them until it looked like something sad.  I will say the edging is not for performance sake.  They eat at the edges with farro shuffles.  The smooth finishes doesn't help it much ether.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have yet to see a gilded deck perform well at practically anything.  If you use them, the gilding gets everywhere as it flakes off the cards.  I remember seeing them on cheesy bridge cards as a kid, but no one ever liked them except perhaps people who enjoyed looking at cards more than playing with them.

Has ANYONE ever seen a magician or a cardist perform with a gilded deck?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I love the cards though from a collectors stand point. The gilded edges look great and if you don't use them a ton they don't wear a lot. The boxes look fantastic as well (I just wish the card backs were the same color).

If the cards were the same colour as the box, that would be absolutely amazing. They'd be my favourite coloured cards by far. Although, they can get a bit sore on the eyes...

Has ANYONE ever seen a magician or a cardist perform with a gilded deck?

Yeah, that's true. I'd hardly heard about gilded edges until I saw a review on the 1002 decks. I'm guessing they're so uncommon for the exact reason you stated; magicians and cardists probably don't like using them.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
If they could make a gilded edged deck that actually worked well that would look awesome in use. Especially for cardists. I'm sure it'll happen some day down the road... I hope. Now that would be revolutionary and game changing (here's to you T11)

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The big problem here is that you can't really develop anything without a card company's help. But if we did have a way to make gilded edges last and not affect the handling of the deck, I'd definitely jump on the occasion. ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That doesn't require a card printer - it requires a knowledge of inks and paints.  That's all the gilding is today, paint applied to the edge of the deck in a manner that doesn't glue the cards to each other.  Experiment a little.  People started using black marker on the edges of their black decks to hide chipping - why not go out and buy a gold marker and see if that works?  Or try some paints from a hobby shop or a hardware store.

The card companies aren't putting a lot of money and know-how into gilded cards because they're not really in style.  Make them popular again and perhaps they'll start making new ones.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:22:59 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »

Robert Butler

Sorry Good@Sabacc I have to strongly caution against that! Gilding is not just ink applied to the edges, its an actual metal.  Applying ink to the side of your cards is a big no no.  The finish has likely worn off completely if a black deck is showing white.  In which case your damaging your cards further by re coloring them with a marker. 

MARKER = A LOT OF DAMAGE TO YOUR DECK!!!!

I promise it will only speed up the breakdown process.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sorry Good@Sabacc I have to strongly caution against that! Gilding is not just ink applied to the edges, its an actual metal.  Applying ink to the side of your cards is a big no no.  The finish has likely worn off completely if a black deck is showing white.  In which case your damaging your cards further by re coloring them with a marker. 

MARKER = A LOT OF DAMAGE TO YOUR DECK!!!!

I promise it will only speed up the breakdown process.

Many people here, myself included, have applied black marker to the edge of a black deck with no serious problems.  The deck looks much cooler and the damage is disguised under the ink.  If the deck has enough edge damage to start with, it's already "dead" - you can't kill it further, so markers offer a chance to "zombify" the deck back to usability and give it a new look.

True gilding is metal applied to the card edge, but isn't that the problem?  It flakes off under use.  I suggested an experiment to see what a gold marker would do for the edge of a regular deck - it doesn't have to be the rarest thing you own; a cheap pack of Mavericks or Bikes would do for a proof of concept.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I just got my Aladdin 1002 decks in the mail. The boxes look so crazy. It's just a crazy mix of colours. :P
Anyway, I cracked it open and messed around with it for a bit to see the handling. As many have said before me, it was pretty shocking. Every fan I try, the deck splits into about 6 clumps, and I can't seem to get it any better than that. Also, when I opened the deck, I had to manually separate all the cards; they had all stuck to each other in pairs of two, and it was pretty hard to get some of them apart.
Definitely don't get these for the handling, but I think the look almost makes up for this major drawback. I'm split between looks and handling on most decks, but I think although the handling sucks for this deck, the appearance almost outweighs it. The sides look so cool; the gilded edges are obviously the reason for this, and I actually really love the Aladdin back design anyway.
But, yeah. The handling absolutely sucks.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I have to agree, the edges do look amazing.

This is the Bicycle Bape (Bathing Ape) deck

Sexy!

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I have to agree, the edges do look amazing.

This is the Bicycle Bape (Bathing Ape) deck

Wow. That looks absolutely incredible! My Aladdin 1002s are almost as nice, but not quite. It seems the gold wasn't all applied at the same time; the gold doesn't exactly flow well. There are different angles to it and all kinds of things. But it still looks great.
But this deck looks like the gold has been applied perfectly, and it flows throughout the deck, if you know what I mean. It's astounding!

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah it looks great on the Aladdins and the BAPE deck! CBJ how much did you get the BAPE deck for, if you dont mind me asking that is?

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:07 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Could you tell me the handling of the bath ape deck?