You are Here:
PAPER FABRIQUE STEAMBOAT

Author (Read 1295 times)

PAPER FABRIQUE STEAMBOAT
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I need help in determining what joker goes with this Steamboat deck. I thought I looked carefully in Hochman but could not find this Ace. I do have the original box that "STEAMBOATS", "Double Indexed", "No.1", "ROUND CORNERS". Anyone have a clue?

Re: PAPER FABRIQUE STEAMBOAT
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I need help in determining what joker goes with this Steamboat deck. I thought I looked carefully in Hochman but could not find this Ace. I do have the original box that "STEAMBOATS", "Double Indexed", "No.1", "ROUND CORNERS". Anyone have a clue?

Very interesting and nice Ace!! I look forward to learning more about it with the help of some experts :)
Thank you very much for the pix BadJoker. Do you think that the joker could be the Lion (Hochman L16) or the Frog (Hochman L50) ? Can you post the pix of the box please ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:31:47 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here are scans of both sides of the box.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:10:54 PM by TheBadJoker »

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Here are scans of both sides of the box.

Thank you very much, the box is fabulous!! Can you tell me what is the story about this acquisition please ? How did you find this rare deck ?

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Not much of a story really. I bought a small group of cards from an old time collector and this was in that group.  Sorry, I can't make it more glamorous.  I would love to find the joker!! Maybe Tom Dawson has some ideas! Tom?

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Not much of a story really. I bought a small group of cards from an old time collector and this was in that group.  Sorry, I can't make it more glamorous.  I would love to find the joker!! Maybe Tom Dawson has some ideas! Tom?
I don't think I have seen the Ace before [same as L17 but with the Basic City address] so any thought on the Joker would be a guess. On page 37 of Hochman it states that the Longley's opened up in Basic City in 1891 and likely used the Middleton Aces for some of their cards. This seems to prove that point!  I strongly suspect that the Joker would be the same as L17 but perhaps Crpytocard is right and it used the L50 Joker.
Someday we'll know for sure. It is a neat box!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I found a new small article concerning the Paper Fabrique Company with a picture of two antique deck boxes (Steamers #5 and Dixies #20) but unfortunately, nothing about the Steamboats #1 Joker.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:18:11 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Very interesting find. Crypto - never heard of the Dixies brand and great pictures of the boxes. You are unearthing a lot of great material.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Crypto, thanks for all the info. Deck will be available for sale at the convention.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Very interesting find. Crypto - never heard of the Dixies brand and great pictures of the boxes. You are unearthing a lot of great material.

Thank you very much for you message Tom. Here are two other pictures of the Paper Fabrique boxes, with a better resolution.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:09:14 AM by Cryptocard27 »