Vaudeville
Designer Series Battle 4: Ellusionist Artifice vs The Blue Crown Vaudeville

Author (Read 755 times)

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Back story by Lee McKenzie

I remember when I got the first call through from Ellusionist about the next deck we were going to create. There was talk of cheats, mechanics and underground card games. Big action and risky moves in the seedy shadows of the gambling world. I was hooked, instantly. This was a story of Daniel Madison, whos skill at the card table and deceit over his early years finally caught up with him to almost pay the ultimate price.

This was a deck for those guys. The expert card men who've spent years perfecting their craft. They walk in and out just like any other player. Not standing out, trying to blend in as much as possible. But when the time is right, they make their move, take it down, and don't bat an eyelid. Nerves of steel and a cool hand is what it takes to sit down at the table and do what no-one suspects. Acting like it was just fate at work, when you know damn well it wasn't. This was Artifice. In the words of Erdnase, "Making the hazard".

We wanted to create something that captured the authentic mechanic with taste and distinguished style. The design took on a real class, reflecting the precision and standards that any card man would have to hold themselves to at the table. From the maverick card tables in the old west, to the riverboat poker games, to the present day underground games and high rollers.

The back design featured fine damask print masquerading in the light and shadows of a finely tailored pin stripe-esque canvas. Adorning the center and outer edges of the card would be authentic, timeless metallic stylings and detail that ooze the notion that these cards, and the person holding them, are in a class all by themselves.

All 54 faces would get the same great attention to detail in order to fully embody the Artifice message with every deal of a card. If the back wasn't enough, you can see all the story you need to with the custom Ace of spades. 2 genuine derringers back to back with elegant metal flourishes reminiscent of the unique engravings featured on some of the finest made guns of their time. An authentic character to be reckoned with.

I tried to accurately capture the right tone for these classic, dark deeded cards. It needed to be perfect. I myself connected so much to the theme and concept behind the Artifice. It's a way of life. To step out on your own, to try and do something bold that may or may not work. Walking into the unknown and not really knowing how it will all unfold. All you know is it's something you have to do if you want to make your mark.

No-one is going to give you everything you desire in this life. It's up to us to go out and take it. It we want things we've never had, we have to do things we've never done. That's my own mindset, and also the one behind Kings & Crooks, my new playing card company. That's what drove me with Artifice, to try and design a deck of playing cards that would command attention so loudly, without saying a word. To embrace a league elegance and artistry only experienced by those who've walked that bold path, made their move, and come out alive on the other side with a story of their own to tell.

This is Artifice and it's one of my absolute favourite decks for so many reasons. Even if someone else would've had the pleasure to design it, it still would be. I'm so thankful to be the man Ellusionist chose to call when they wanted to make Artifice happen. It just fits so well with me and I hope everyone else really 'gets' what we tried to say with Artifice.

Vaudeville is a beautiful deck reflective of a great story too, there's no taking denying that.

Let the battle commence :)

The Battle

Artifice designed by Lee McKenzie and produced through Ellusionist or Vaudeville product by The Blue Crown
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
Artifice

The cartoon courts are not of my tastes in the vaudeville deck
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

Artifice more elegant than, and dont need to say abt the quality of paper between Ellusionist and HOPC  :P

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Artifice by a mile.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Patrick Varnavas

Gotta hand it to Artifice. This is my favorite Lee McKenzie deck to date, without a doubt. Both of the decks embody their respective themes well BUT, I like the "Artifice" theme better. From a design standpoint, the Vaudeville deck just feels like an art deck. Artifice looks great in every color they come in.

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Artifice wins by 4!
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos