You are Here:
JAQK or Artisans?

Author (Read 1678 times)

JAQK or Artisans?
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:11 AM »

ak2angel

• Newcomer
Hi guys.
I want to buy a deck for flourish. As title, i have chosen these 2 decks but i dont know what is better  ??? In handling and the look  ???
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:24:37 AM by ak2angel »

Re: JAQK or Artisans?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I vote for JAQK for the look, not sure about handling.
But the price of JAQK is more expensive than artisan.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
My vote is for the JAQK's as well. It's one of my favorite decks.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
We are talking about the blue one right, it is my favorite deck, but the red jaqk sucked. btw I'll oo with the blue jaqk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I like the red Jaqks, and I looooooooove the green Jaqks (probably one of my top 5 favorite decks). I don't have the artisans but they don't look as cool imo as the Jaqks. As far as handling, I'd assume the Artisians handle like any other T11 deck, so the handling will be about the same. So basically it's up to you which deck you think looks cooler.

Keep in mind that green Jaqks will run you easily over 20 bucks + shipping on ebay, and red Jaqks will probably be at least 20 bucks with shipping. Artisans will be much cheaper if that's a concern for you.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
JAQK.
No contest.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I'd say JAQK.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »

ak2angel

• Newcomer
I've bought the JAQK today. It has one-way back design  :( And smooth finish  :( I really dont like it  :-[

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I've bought the JAQK today. It has one-way back design  :( And smooth finish  :( I really dont like it  :-[

? ? ?
Huuuh?? OH!
You must've bought the deck directly off their website. I'm so sorry! The Theory 11 version is so much better. Metallic inks, 2 way back, and a textured finish. I should have been more specific.  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:03:07 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Putting aside my predilection against decks that advertise tobacco and alcohol products, I'd still go for the Artisans.  The T11 JAQKs are great cards, I'm sure, but so are the Artisans in terms of quality and appearance, and the Artisans are not only still in print, but appear to be set for more than one printing, while the JAQKs were a one-run deal, not to be remade.

For any "real world" use involving performance for others, especially magic (where more often than not the spectator ends up handling at least some portion of the deck), I like getting something that's not only in print, but that will continue to be printed.  I also like my fully-custom decks, but for general-purpose use as opposed to a specific performance, I'll carry something with a custom back but not too much else that's too far from the norm.  For magicians, it gives the audience the identification factor - they know they're playing cards, they look very much like the ones they use at home, and they have just enough of a flair to them to be more interesting.  For flourishers, they want the focus more on what they're doing with the cards than on the cards themselves (another factor that magicians prefer).

My "standards" - non-gaffed decks that I'll take with me on trips with the intent to use them in performance or playing games:

Bicycle Rider Backs, red and blue (though not often)
Tally-Ho, circle and/or fan backs, red and blue
Monarchs and Silver Monarchs
Bicycle Masters, red and blue
Bicycle Series 1800, red and blue (Performance Coating version)
Bicycle Guardians, either USPC or T11 v2
Crown Decks, red/blue/green
NOC Decks, any colors
Phoenix, "Master Edition" (USPC-made), red and blue

The common theme among these decks is that they're regularly available, not limited editions, and most of them are cheap when compared to other custom decks - some aren't even custom.  With one exception, they're available in two colors, allowing for matched decks for two-deck tricks or poker games.  There's some variation in terms of finish, stock and level of customization in order to keep things interesting for me, but they're all excellent working-performer's decks.

Most importantly, if one got lost, stolen, dropped in a puddle, manhandled, given as a gift, etc., I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  They're easily and inexpensively replaced, and I usually have a good number of them on hand at home.

I even try keeping it simple with "special" decks - usually either gaffed decks like strippers, invisibles, etc. or decks that I have gaff cards for (and more than just a blank facer and a double backer).  Not more than a few decks, and usually only on extended trips.  Again, I try bringing decks that I can easily replace - my Ultimate Marked Decks (out of print), Ellusionist gaff decks (expensive) and my Phoenix Get Sharky deck (very expensive) will often remain home unless there's a specific purpose for bringing it, like a gig.  But that's for magicians....  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Don, the NOC Decks aren't still be printed, right? They were a one time deal, if I remember correctly.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, the NOC Decks aren't still be printed, right? They were a one time deal, if I remember correctly.

NOC decks are regular HOPC stock, just like the Crown decks.  New colors are being considered, but the cards will remain in print.  They're very popular.

While HOPC does sell a lot of limited-edition decks, they are also aiming for having a regular selection beyond just Crowns, similar to Ellusionist and (in recent months) Theory11.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »

vmagic

How about the Dominion, Virts or Polaris, they are designed for flourishing.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

NOC decks are regular HOPC stock, just like the Crown decks.  New colors are being considered, but the cards will remain in print.  They're very popular.

While HOPC does sell a lot of limited-edition decks, they are also aiming for having a regular selection beyond just Crowns, similar to Ellusionist and (in recent months) Theory11.

Then why are the red ones out of stock on their site?

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 02:59:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
How about the Dominion, Virts or Polaris, they are designed for flourishing.

And all three decks are limited editions.  Dominion is sold out, Virts is probably sold out but is still in pre-order and Polaris is still a Kickstarter project that hasn't even closed yet - in other words, they're not all that easy or cheap to obtain right this moment!

Then why are the red ones out of stock on their site?

Easy - they're between print runs!  They'll be back.  It's not the first time they've sold out of NOCs or version-two Crowns, but they come back.

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I gotta say Jaqk`s I really like the metalic ink on them and they handle pretty good.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.