You are Here:
Kickstarter: Anubis & Osiris Shadow Luxury Playing Cards (by Steve Minty)

Author (Read 2387 times)

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Anubis & Osiris Shadow Luxury Playing Cards (Kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steveminty/anubis-and-osiris-shadow-luxury-playing-cards-by-steve-minty

Egyptian themed limited edition custom luxury playing card decks designed by Steve Minty

Cost: ~US$17 per deck
Current funding level: over 1250% funded!
Kickstarter ends: Friday April 30, 2021

Gold foil

The tuck boxes are decked with gold foil for a truly luxurious look.  The gold foil on the card backs looks equally exquisite!

These new editions will be printed by Cartamundi, an industry leader in the world of playing card printers.  Cartamundi has been at the forefront of playing cards that use metallic foil on both sides of the cards (see this article to learn more about foiled playing cards), and that's exactly what we get with this new deck. 

I've seen some cold foil decks produced by Cartamundi, and they're truly stunning, so there's every reason to expect the new Anubis and Osiris Shadow decks to look amazing. 

The original decks

So what's the story behind these lovely decks?  Well it all begins with the creativity of Steve Minty, who is one of the top modern playing card designers.  And of all the decks he's produced, one of my favourites is his Egyptian themed Anubis and Osiris decks, which he created in 2016.  I previously posted a detailed review of these and some of his other decks, which I entitled The most beautiful decks of playing cards I own

Everything about these playing cards was stunning, from the overall graphic design, to the Egyptian theme, and especially the gold foil on the back of all the cards and on the tuck box.  It's truly a work of art and luxury.  Little wonder that they proved to be a huge hit, and these decks now fetch well over $100 each on the secondary market - if you're lucky enough to find one.

Given how popular these decks were, it was great news to hear that five years later Steve Minty was creating a new edition of these wonderful decks.  And that's where the Anubis and Osiris Shadow Playing Cards Kickstarter comes in. 

The Anubis Shadow deck

Everything about these new decks looks outstanding, especially the tuck box, the court cards (which feature Egyptian gods), and the card backs.

The Osiris Shadow deck

I'm especially partial to the colour of the Osiris deck, which really works well with the gold foil.

What has changed?

These are not identical to the original decks, but feature updated colours (purple and green).  And as mentioned, they'll be printed by Cartamundi instead of USPCC.

The overall design will look immediately familiar to anyone who has seen the original decks, although there's a new Jack of Clubs (Sobek).  But having foil on both sides of the cards will only up the luxury look from the original.  The tuck boxes will also have foil on the inside for even more glamour and bling.

Besides the actual decks, there's also a number of special add ons, like lapel pins, foil decals, metal coins, metal playing cards, card clips, and even a hooded blanket.

Recommendation

If you enjoy luxury playing cards, this is a project that you absolutely won't want to miss!

Kickstarter link

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steveminty/anubis-and-osiris-shadow-luxury-playing-cards-by-steve-minty/

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=