You are Here:
New deck on Kickstarter: Dom cards

Author (Read 2289 times)

New deck on Kickstarter: Dom cards
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »

Tara Studio

• Newcomer
HI everyone,
I would like to share my project with you: Dom playing cards. I have been doing magic and collecting playing cards for many years and I decided to create my own!

It is inspired by Milan's main church in Italy. You can get a brick for just 60?!

The deck comes with an unique marking system that allows you to fool everyone, even expert magicians!

Kickstarter link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tarastudio/dom-playing-cards?ref=creator_nav

I'd love to know what you think about it :)
Thanks for the attention,
Tara Studio

Re: New deck on Kickstarter: Dom cards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 05:51:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
HI everyone,
I would like to share my project with you: Dom playing cards. I have been doing magic and collecting playing cards for many years and I decided to create my own!

It is inspired by Milan's main church in Italy. You can get a brick for just 60?!

The deck comes with an unique marking system that allows you to fool everyone, even expert magicians!

Kickstarter link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tarastudio/dom-playing-cards?ref=creator_nav

I'd love to know what you think about it :)
Thanks for the attention,
Tara Studio

Overall, it's a nice design.  But a deck that's limited to a run of only 1,000 will have a very limited appeal to a magician, or at least to a working magician who might go through dozens of decks a year.  It also tends to be less appealing to magicians if it has non-traditional faces, such as your Jack with unique artwork and your Eight of Hearts with a unique pip configuration.  While it's not true that a magician must stick only to the basic brands and designs that you see sold in drug stores and gas stations everywhere, it is still often true that, in order for the audience to identify with the deck, they try to make it look at least somewhat familiar, so that it at least resembles these old, venerable and very popular designs, at least on the faces if not on the backs.

What you're calling a "marking system" isn't a marking system - it's a one-way face design.  Others have made similar alterations - I've seen decks where one of the indices is printed in boldface type, allowing the cards to have specific orientation.  But don't call it a marking system - doing so implies that the cards can be identified from the backs as well as from their faces, when one knows where to look and what to look for, and that's simply not the case here.

Now, do I like the back design?  Yes - that's really a cool design.  On that alone the deck could sell really well.  But I'd focus a lot less on targeting your deck to magicians and a lot more on targeting your deck to collectors - that's the true target market of a short-run, limited edition model such as this.  I'd change the marketing altogether, and perhaps even add elements that move AWAY from a traditional design and are more reminiscent of Milan - make this a real Milanese tribute deck, rather than a half-hearted effort at a magic deck.  Trust me, there are a lot more collectors out there than magicians - you'll get more traction for your campaign, especially at a time when most people are traveling either only virtually or in their imaginations, rather than really getting out there and hopping a plane or a train to some exotic destination.  I envision something like court cards decked out in traditional Milanese garb of the Renaissance era, for starters...

Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/