You are Here:
UK General Election

Author (Read 1672 times)

UK General Election
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:44 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
So it's election day here in the UK, any other brits here like to make a guess as to the outcome? Or indeed anyone else that may have been keeping up with the campaigns for whatever reason?

I'll make the controversial estimate of a hung parliament resulting in Conservative with a supply and demand agreement with UKIP. Or, a remote possibility of a minority conservative government with a swift change of leadership to Boris Johnson. If Labour get in then a third of the country should be charged with treason!

EDIT: FYI if you don't know what the hell I'm on about, There are 3 major parties who discuss their policies here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5HFj-qCdg

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, is earmarked as a potential successor to the current conservative PM, David Cameron. He's a bit daft, very British (in a fawlty towers kind of way) and extremely popular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXy__5whR5c

Then there's UKIP, our resident Nazi party who are gaining momentum. They want us out of the EU and don't like foreigners. Their leader, Nigel Farage, is a joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGI_kRNvI0k

EDIT EDIT:

There are other parties but no one takes them seriously because they're either making ludicrous promises that they can't keep, or they're Scottish.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:53:24 AM by Magasaki »
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: UK General Election
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
There are other parties but no one takes them seriously because they're either making ludicrous promises that they can't keep, or they're Scottish.

HAHA I actually laugh at this..
Btw any outcome yet?
Back for more

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Nope, 7 hours of voting left then the counting will start. Opinion polls yesterday put it at Labour 34%, Con 33%, UKIP about 18% and Lib Dem at 9% depending on which poll you read. It's very close, but 25% said they did not know who to vote for yet, and there are a lot of marginal constituencies so it is technically still possible for a majority parliament based on how many marginals go which way, as opposed to the total number of votes for each party.

Closest election in years, though only 1/3rd UK residents bother to vote so it's never a true majority anyway.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:28:08 AM by Magasaki »

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:58:41 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Shockingly it looks like Conservative could get a majority  :D 20 left to go and they're 10 seats below an outright. Labour got destroyed, especially in Scotland where the nationalists took all seats apart from 3, the Lib Dems (previous third party) have pretty much disappeared and the nazis UKIP have done very well on votes but poorly on seats. One of the flaws of the FPTP system.

One of the interesting thing is that if the leaders all keep their "I'll resign if (X) happens" promises then we'll end up with a full reform and new leadership of 3 of the 4 major parties except the current PM.

Sorry for clogging up the forum with foreign politics

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Sorry for clogging up the forum with foreign politics

Hardly a clog, really, and this is the "catch-all" board, so don't fret.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Ha ha, cheers.

Well the outcome, much to everyone's astonishment, was a conservative majority. No one expected that. The upsetting thing is (via facebook etc.) how much it's dividing friends and people I know. Political opinions are now public and it's causing real friction between people who have been buddies for many years. In fact, one of my best friends from school recently accused me of being either "rich, stupid or a bit evil" for voting conservative. Not very democratic in my eyes. Tongue in cheek (see my earlier comment about treason) is one thing but I never expected this.

In truth I don't think there is yet confidence in the government and I still expect massive shakeups in the next 2 years. Especially following the upcoming referendum on the EU.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 03:30:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Ha ha, cheers.

Well the outcome, much to everyone's astonishment, was a conservative majority. No one expected that. The upsetting thing is (via facebook etc.) how much it's dividing friends and people I know. Political opinions are now public and it's causing real friction between people who have been buddies for many years. In fact, one of my best friends from school recently accused me of being either "rich, stupid or a bit evil" for voting conservative. Not very democratic in my eyes. Tongue in cheek (see my earlier comment about treason) is one thing but I never expected this.

In truth I don't think there is yet confidence in the government and I still expect massive shakeups in the next 2 years. Especially following the upcoming referendum on the EU.

It sounds like the UK is experiencing what's been going on in US politics for the past three decades or so, plus or minus a few years: deep societal polarization between parties and their positions.  Probably more than a little of "haves versus have-nots" going on, but that's hardly new for the UK, correct?

I've been having conversations with many New Yorkers who feel that the city they once knew and loved is irrevocably gone, destroyed in a mad dash to gentrify every popular neighborhood within a stone's throw of the Financial District, stripping it of its soul at the same time the residents are being priced out and all the new construction is luxury high-rises, completely out of character with the surroundings - at least until all the surroundings are luxury high-rises.  It's been there since I was in high school and has only gotten worse.

I find myself wondering more and more why I live here, other than the salary I'm earning - I'm making more money at my job than I would anywhere else in the country, but I'm also paying a very high cost of living, among the highest in the country as well.  I recently drove into the city and parked my car in Midtown for just over three hours.  With tip, it cost me $65.  If it gets much higher than that, the parking ticket I'd get for parking illegally on the street will actually be more affordable.  My wife and stepson all share a one-bedroom apartment which we rent, not own, and it's more than simply cozy - it's crowded.  My car insurance increased by a few hundred dollars a year when I moved within the city limits - and increased a few hundred more when I bought a new car.  A typical meal at McDonald's - a "brand name" burger with fries and a soda - runs about $8.

I'm looking into purchasing tickets for a magic show, Penn and Teller on Broadway - the cheapest tickets, in the nosebleed seats at the rear of the mezzanine, are nearly $60 while the best seats, first nine rows of the orchestra, are over $210.  That's per seat - over four hundred bucks for a couple on a date to see a show, before you've even bought a meal or a souvenir program, before you've paid for parking or a cab.

Even hitting the movies is a wallet-breaker, owing a lot to the fact that real estate's so expensive that movie theater screens are more scarce per capita here than in any other major city.  Two tickets to a 2-D presentation, plus a medium popcorn and two medium sodas runs between $40 and $50.  For a 3-D feature, add about $10 more for that couple.  If it was a family of four, you'd be lucky to make it out of there without spending over $100.

Forgive me for ranting, but it's reaching the point where it doesn't matter that New York has culture, shopping and all those attractions - it's a moot point when the average person can't afford it.  The middle class has long been a dying breed in this country, but in New York, I'm pretty sure it's dead already - they just haven't finished the headstone yet.  Over a decade ago, I read an article about living in Manhattan on a middle-class income - fewer than 7% of the island's residents fit the description at the time.  That number can't have grown, especially when you factor in that incomes overall have been dropping since 2007.  The ZIP code ("postal code" for the Europeans and Aussies) in which I work has what might be the highest concentration of "extreme wealth" in the country - over 100,000 inhabitants with a median income of over $90,000.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 03:39:23 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
London is similar. I lived there for a couple of years and my one bed flat in zone 2 (20 mins to centre on subway) was £1000 pcm. That was before council tax and bills. All told it was around £1350 just to have a small roof over our head. That was 5 years ago so it will have gone up. If you live in zone 1 rent for 1 bed apartments ranges from £1500pcm to £3000 per week depending on where you are. Obviously the latter price is in very exclusive areas like Mayfair.

We moved out because we felt you couldn't even leave your door without spending money.

The main advantage London has is being accessible by 90% of the UK in under 2 hours. It means you can still go to the city for day trips which is awesome.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
wow, I guess its actually happening everywhere in the world.
I used to live in Sydney, Australia and for a unit of 2 bedroom it already cost me about AU$1200pcm, but then again it was actually about 30 KM (approx. 30 minutes) from the city. And my friend used to live about 10 minutes from city and an apartment with 2 bedroom cost him AU$2500pcm. Another 1 lives in the middle of city renting 1 bedroom (not studio but just a bedroom) cost him $2000 pcm.
Although Melbourne, is not as expensive as Sydney, but slowly catching up.
Back for more