Triangles Prototype Deck

Author (Read 1068 times)

Triangles Prototype Deck
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:14:25 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Triangles Prototype Deck

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738837708/the-triangles-prototype-playing-cards-bee-stock?ref=hero_thanks

These guys have pledge options for up to 72 decks. Is that allowed or are they being naughty?
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Triangles Prototype Deck
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Seventy two decks is half of one Gross. They can offer as many of the decks as they would like in any of their tiers. At that price though, I'd say they're being a bit naughty haha.  :P

I kind of feel that way about all of the tiers. These are pretty expensive decks in my opinion. I wish I could see something that would warrant such a high price on a two color deck but I honestly don't. Even though I do really like the jokers quite a bit, also enjoy the look of the AoS. The pips are fun in a messy kind of way too. Best of luck to them, I hope they find success. This price isn't for me.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I thought KS had a limit on 10 rewards per backer, extended to 12 for playing cards due to the way they normally sell in a brick?
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I thought KS had a limit on 10 rewards per backer, extended to 12 for playing cards due to the way they normally sell in a brick?

If they do, it's a strange one. There have been campaigns, example of coins, that offer well over 300 hundred. I think it would be precedence set by what they have approved in the past vs whatever they may have written down someone in a .txt document at any given moment. Remember, the one thing KS cares about, Their cut. That's the only thing KS cares about, and rightly so from their perspective. Things on KS are always subject to change haha, whatever suits the bottom line at the time.

After the infamous Potato Salad campaign, I don't believe there is anything that isn't allowed by kickstarter haha. Some of the things I've seen posted when I'm clicking the "newest" tab to bring up the latest campaign have drawn my curiosity. Most of them haven't been worth my time to look at other than to say, "Wow, they'll let anything on KS now a days." That's including some of the wacky tiers out there haha.

KS claims they don't allow charity, yet you as a backer have the ability to pledge whatever you like and click "No Reward." The place really is riddled with instances like these.

(I hope we didn't just start a tangent thread on accident Tom, hahaha)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

They USED to.  It was recently lifted.  There is no limit any more.

I get the distinct feeling that they liked the idea of projects growing to epic proportions because of people selling items in bulk, because that makes their percentage that much fatter as well.  "But remember, kiddies, we're NOT retailers or wholesalers!  This isn't a shop!"  If you buy that, then I'm the IRS and you owe me $100,000 in back taxes, payable yesterday...

KS claims they don't allow charity, yet you as a backer have the ability to pledge whatever you like and click "No Reward." The place really is riddled with instances like these.

(I hope we didn't just start a tangent thread on accident Tom, hahaha)

I suppose technically that's not a donation to charity - but yeah, it's a bit on the dodgy side, allowing people to pledge without any reward.  There are also rewards that amount to little more than "thank you for giving us a dollar" when you can pledge as much cash as you please.

Again, the bean counters seem to love counting those beans, so it would seem they're a bit lax about enforcing things that restrict bean flow...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:50 AM »

ICollectPlayingCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hi guys.

I'm in on the 'recent' KS campaign for these cards for just 2 decks.

I say 'recent' because I have yet to receive my decks, nor any updates regarding when I will receive them, and after doing a bit of looking I've discovered that the creators already have this deck for sale on their own website AAAANNNDD that there is a video on YouTube from 2012 with a guy doing a deck reveal on them.......  :-[

No one else seems to be commenting as to the authenticity of this project, so I'm not sure whether to bring it to KS's attention yet... or should I??

Anyone any advice...?

Thank you.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, there were a few red flags about this project...

Yes, you're right, this is the same as the "prototype" deck that was making the rounds about three years ago.

USPC will NOT make a print run as short as 1,500 decks, not unless you're doing a much bigger deal with them and you're an established "partner" of theirs.  This guy appears to have come from out of nowhere.

Even if they did allow it, there's no way that creating it - PLUS packaging and shipping it - would cost as little as the $5,200 this project raised.  It's a shame KS no longer shows goal amounts for closed projects.  It would have told more about the maker to know how tiny a goal he or she set for themselves.

Now...  On the one hand, yes, this does have "scam" written all over it.  But on the other hand, they did promise to finish delivering between late May (now) and early June in their most recent update from March 17th.

Have you tried asking them about your reward?  If they are actually selling the cards on their site, it's possible that the project is indeed legit (although the world at large is missing some critical information about it), so asking the creator might be the best choice of action.

I can tell you right now, though - reporting it to Kickstarter would be about as useful at this stage as screaming at a rock.  The project is closed, they got their percentage, as far as they're concerned, it's a done deal and they're happy.  They have "rules" requiring projects to deliver or give refunds, but they offer no means whatsoever by which to enforce the rules once the project's done.  You'd have to pursue a case with the State Attorney General where the project is located.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »

ICollectPlayingCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the reply.

You're right - KS have got their % so there's nothing they're going to do if it is a scam (the Asylum deck...)

I have actually contacted the creator using the messages on KS itself, and they responded saying that they would be posting about delivery soon.... but nothing so far. I'll contact them privately and see what happens. As it turned out, I only pledged for 1 deck so it's not a *massive* loss. To be honest I love the deck so it's more the disappointment of not getting that that is p*ssing me off.....  :(

Thanks again :)