You are Here:
Buskers by Erik Mana (KS) 2nd try

Author (Read 6498 times)

Buskers by Erik Mana (KS) 2nd try
« on: February 14, 2015, 04:13:55 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Couldn't see a topic for this yet but Erik Mana has a new deck coming out called buskers. It draws inspiration from his experiences travelling around Eastern Canada with other performers working different festivals. The deck is available in 2 colours, has a full bleed back and custom courts. It will launch on Kickstarter on the 21st February.

Erik was kind enough to share some of his fascinating stories from the times that inspired this deck with me which you can read about here.
http://www.magasaki.com/#!Tales-from-the-Pitch-Busking-and-Magic-with-Erik-Mana/c16ty/CFAAF607-A759-4F24-A5B3-0796DD07B0BA

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:55:26 AM by Don Boyer »
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Buskers by Erik Mana
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:24:22 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I absolutely love the theme of this deck. 

I think it was the ‎Mana V2 campaign in which Erik relealed that he'd be working on this theme. Whilst I really don't like Dyptich jokers, I really do like this one.

The borderless design also gets a thumbs up from me.

On the flip side though, Erik's decision to go with the crappy quality of USPCC is pretty much the deal breaker which prevents me from pledging for a single deck. In his Mana V3 campaign, Erik listed a fair few reasons why EPCC were the best choice for that deck, and so now it feels like this new deck is getting given step-child treatment.‎

Without trying to get this thread off into the done-to-death USPCC vs EPCC (or LPCC) tangent, I'll end my mini rant with an image which I has relevance to Mana playing cards, and kind of of sums up USPCC's shitty quality.‎
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
A photo is worth 1,000 words and that one says a lot more HolyJJ. I'll not hop on the rant myself, although I'm sure you know I really want to haha. Few things can shit on my happy like cracking open a deck and it's printed off center or the ink isn't registered properly. It usually takes a barbecue, if you get my meaning, to get my happy back.

I do like what I've seen of the Buskers decks so far. Those jokers are pretty charming too. I'll be showing my support for Erik and his brand of design no problem. I would have liked to hear it was going to be LPCC or EPCC printed as well, but it is what it is.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »

illyboy

• Newcomer
I must say I really like what I've seen so far and I'm a big fan of the "parchmenty" background.

I dare say there's little chance we could persuade Erik to change printer now but if they were to be printed at LPCC I would get a brick based on these images alone, however as it stands I'll still probably go for a couple of decks and hope for the best.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
BUMP

This is supposed to be live at 10 eastern

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like the backs but am not crazy about the one-way courts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/buskers-by-mana-playing-cards
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:27:44 AM by PrincessTrouble »

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I like everything about these, especially the story behind them. It gives them more value to me.
The backs are of a nice design and everything is done in a tone and color scheme that really represents the subject matter well.  The courts are one way, true, but to me they are miniature pieces of art that are done beautifully.  Cant wait to add these to my collection. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I'm a little surprised this has not funded yet, or at least close. He did $11,677 in the first half day, but only $1,409 in almost a full 2nd day.
I wonder if the CAD dollar has anything to do with it. the only place it says CAD, is at the top. None of the rewards say CAD at all. A quick glance just says $15 for one deck. That's actually only about $12 US, and that includes US shipping.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 10:29:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the backs but am not crazy about the one-way courts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/buskers-by-mana-playing-cards

I agree with you. I'm not crazy about the one way courts either. For me it's a style thing. I also think the indices adornment clash with the courts. They don't seem to gel in a way that makes sense from my perspective.

By far my favorite things about this deck are the card backs, the tuck box, and the AoS. I like the AoS itself but I wish the indices adornment was removed. I guess it's intended to kind of frame the card but it gives a lopsided effect to the card instead. Not as noticeable on the courts because they have so much motion, but the effect is still there as well.

I'm backing these, but I'm not backing heavily at all and odds are I will end up backing much lighter than I am now. Usually over time a deck will grow on me if I had an initial, "hey that's cool" thought about some aspect of it. I'm sorry to say that isn't the case for me with these, the opposite is.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:30:43 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I'm a little surprised this has not funded yet, or at least close. He did $11,677 in the first half day, but only $1,409 in almost a full 2nd day.
I wonder if the CAD dollar has anything to do with it. the only place it says CAD, is at the top. None of the rewards say CAD at all. A quick glance just says $15 for one deck. That's actually only about $12 US, and that includes US shipping.

It does indeed say CAD is the currency for this project - but since it's not clearly distinguished from the USD on the tiers, it could be making the deck appear more expensive than it really is.  The unfortunate thing is that once so much as a single person has pledged for a tier, it can't be edited or deleted until all backers on that tier vacate it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:26:04 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

It does indeed say CAD is the currency for this project - but since it's not clearly distinguished from the USD on the tiers, it could be making the deck appear more expensive than it really is.  The unfortunate thing is that once so much as a single person has pledged for a tier, it can't be edited or deleted until all backers on that tier vacate it.

He has never distinguished CAD vs USD on any of his tiers in previous campaigns. I can't imagine he would have started doing so now, nor that it would suddenly have a large impact in the campaign. Maybe it does though, I seriously doubt that's the case. It's more likely a case of Mana no.3 having issues concerning the tuck box and delay in fulfillment, we have no idea when this will be fulfilled the news isn't exactly reassuring from the backers standpoint as to when this will happen really not even a ballpark estimate. Combined with the change in artistic style, I think it's more likely people are accepting this more slowly than previous decks.

It's only day three now for Buskers and I honestly think they will fund. Not like the bottle rocket pace the previous campaigns have funded at. This will be more of a Kite gaining altitude kind of pace, it'll get there though.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

He has never distinguished CAD vs USD on any of his tiers in previous campaigns. I can't imagine he would have started doing so now, nor that it would suddenly have a large impact in the campaign. Maybe it does though, I seriously doubt that's the case. It's more likely a case of Mana no.3 having issues concerning the tuck box and delay in fulfillment, we have no idea when this will be fulfilled the news isn't exactly reassuring from the backers standpoint as to when this will happen really not even a ballpark estimate. Combined with the change in artistic style, I think it's more likely people are accepting this more slowly than previous decks.

It's only day three now for Buskers and I honestly think they will fund. Not like the bottle rocket pace the previous campaigns have funded at. This will be more of a Kite gaining altitude kind of pace, it'll get there though.

Considering that yesterday's total pledged was negative-$13, I'm not so sure...

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

i hope Mana ship the Mana v3 before he bring this to KS  :P

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i hope Mana ship the Mana v3 before he bring this to KS  :P

You're a little late for "before" - it opened Saturday.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/buskers-by-mana-playing-cards

Sorry to disappoint you!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:13:28 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

damn, do anyone could let me know is Mana ship the v3 yet  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 01:28:47 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
There was a problem with the tucks on v3 so they're not ready to ship just yet
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
There was a problem with the tucks on v3 so they're not ready to ship just yet

More than one problem haha, and pretty major ones. I hope he gets it all figured out soon. Apparently the design is one of those that sounds great in theory, not so much in execution haha. Live and learn situations happen all the time, unfortunately that one happened during a KS product. I feel for him.

I think if he pulled those batons off the buskers deck indices he would get a better show of support.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I'm sure the delays with his previous project are a factor, but I must admit that the main reason I chose not to back this project is that I didn't see the value - $15/deck (not including international shipping) is just more than I'm willing to pay for a deck that while interesting, doesn't really grab me like some others have. Add to that the fact that embossing and bee stock are stretch goals (which are unlikely to be reached), and the lack of metallic inks/metallic finish on the tucks, and you have what I would consider a rather underwhelming project...

To be honest, given the designer, I would'be backed for a decent amount anyway if the price was more "reasonable", but these would end up being more expensive than anything other than perhaps the very limited type of decks like Yusi's gilded decks or whatever... So...decided to pass this time.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Almost no movement in terms of funding in the past 10 days... which is surprising for an Erik Mana project.

I think everyone who has commented so far is spot on with all of the points and factors.

It's okay for funding to kind of be stagnant... AFTER the funding level has been comfortably crossed. This is something like 9k short.

Erik probably needs to do something similar to what Jody did with the Golden Spike project -- the black ink edition appearing out of nowhere, which in turn boosted funding by something like 15k. But then again, a new deck would have its own costs associated with it also. Erik would have to be ultra confident that the new deck would bring in another 20k or so.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Project canceled.
Hi everyone!

This is the great thing about Kickstarter! It allows creators to gauge the market and adjust to it.

Buskers was an exploration into a new style for me and I learned a lot about what kind of deck this should be. I've listened to input by backers and watched the movement of this campaign. It has shown me the market demand for Buskers and that helped me make proper decisions on how to make the project better and make changes accordingly.

Therefore, I will be cancelling funding in order for me to make the proper adjustments to this project. Despite the slowness in funding for Buskers, I only see positive things coming out of this campaign. I’ve already been working on a new campaign and I will be relaunching very soon!

I want to thank every single one of you that has stuck by this project and have given support beyond just being a backer. You guys are awesome! Thank you so much! I hope to see you in the relaunch. Together, lets bring Buskers to life!

We're moving forward! Buskers will be back very soon!

Best regards,

Erik
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Even though I'm a fan of Erik Mana's work (Mana V2 was the first KS project I ever backed!), and even though the theme is one of my favourites in recent times, I'm not too surprised that Erik pulled the plug. There was something like 2 weeks where funding didn't seem to move at all.

I hope Erik goes with EPCC next time round... after all, quality matters. Hopefully some sort of extra-limited (possibly a "Private Reserve" type of variant) edition of the Buskers will also be introduced -- after all, ultra-limited decks extend the appeal to an audience that may not otherwise be interested.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Even though I'm a fan of Erik Mana's work (Mana V2 was the first KS project I ever backed!), and even though the theme is one of my favourites in recent times, I'm not too surprised that Erik pulled the plug. There was something like 2 weeks where funding didn't seem to move at all.

I hope Erik goes with EPCC next time round... after all, quality matters. Hopefully some sort of extra-limited (possibly a "Private Reserve" type of variant) edition of the Buskers will also be introduced -- after all, ultra-limited decks extend the appeal to an audience that may not otherwise be interested.
I think it had more to do with his previous project having not been delivered in a reasonable timeframe.   
I would bet it is quickly relaunched after completion of his previous endeavor.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: Buskers by Erik Mana (Relaunch 03/25/2015 @10am EST) (KS)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Quote from: Erik Mana
The Buskers are back in town with a whole new act!

Our opening act is the Original Vintage Buskers, printed by USPCC with Air Cushion Finish, metallic ink and as an unlimited release. Followed by the main act, the Buskers Exclusive, printed by EPCC with their premium Master Finish, silver metallic ink, including an embossed tuck box with clear foil and silver foil stamping, which will be a limited 1000 deck release.

Quote from: Erik Mana

Buskers Exclusive & Original Vintage

The Buskers Exclusive will have enhanced faces and reimagined Aces, including new jokers. They are currently in the design stage and we shall update everyone as we complete each stage.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I would like to see both decks printed with EPCC.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I would like to see both decks printed with EPCC.

Amen to that :D

I think Erik is trying to keep fans of both USPCC and EPCC (and LPCC) happy... but unfortunately, the EPCC fans will have a limit on the number of decks they can buy.

I'd be up for a brick of the EPCC Buskers... but i doubt such a pledge option will be available.

As for the USPCC Buskers, no doubt that the design is nice... but I really would prefer the nice design on nice materials.

I'll be pledging for the highest tier where i can get only EPCC Buskers... but if each EPCC deck is bundled with a USPCC deck, then I'm out.