You are Here:
Music tastes

Author (Read 769 times)

Music tastes
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:49:33 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
So what music do you guys all like, specifically which bands are awesome live? I'm a bit of a gig buff and slipknot's arena tour happened to stop off at a venue 2 mins away from my work last night. Have to say it was one of the most amazing arena gig's I've ever been to, seen them at festivals before but never indoors. Would definitely recommend them! :t11:
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Music tastes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:11:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I was big into the alternative rock scene in South Florida back in '89/'90.  I deejayed at a tiny public-run radio station in Sunrise, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, that was playing an alt-rock rotation mixed with local bands at the time.  My favorite hangout was a place called Reunion Room, attached to a larger disco called Confetti's - it didn't take long before they stopped charging me a cover. I also frequented joints called Squeeze and Metro Alternative, a club within a club at City Limits.  I also made the rounds occasionally at the Button South.  There was a sort of rotation that took place - you'd go to Reunion Room, it closed at 2am so you'd go to Squeeze, it closed at 4am so you went to the Button South and that didn't close until 6am!

Today, Confetti's/Reunion Room's building still stands but it's not a nightclub any more - I think it's an exercise club or an office building.  Squeeze was shuttered for many years, eventually reopened as Sea Monster, a gay club that held "Squeeze nights" once a week before eventually closing and getting torn down, Metro Alternative only lasted a single summer and the club it was in, City Limits, I think it a country-Western bar, and the Button South is rumored to be a strip club!

Best show I probably saw was the B-52s, touring for the release of Cosmic Thing.  Some local bands I used to catch were Black Janet, Vesper Sparrow and (yes, this really was the band's name), Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids!  When they started, before they became a big act, they were a bunch of local kids based out of the next county south, Dade (now better known as Miami-Dade).  I also got to see the inaugural show of my buddy's band, Death Valley Jupiter - I had to give up seeing Fetchin' Bones to catch that show, but it was worth it!  (I know, you probably don't recognize most of those band names.  Guess you had to be there!)

The radio station, WKPX-FM 88.5 MHz, still exists - it used to operate out of a high school (I was part of the "adult ed" night classes they offered), but I think they moved the studio to the local community college while the antenna and transmitter are still at the high school.  The station's a pale shadow of what it was like back then, broadcasting on an even shorter schedule than it used to have.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:27 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Soul if i'm relaxing online, jazz if i'm cleaning the apartment, classic rock if i'm driving...

Live concert?  I guess blues or jazz is my favorite.  I try and go to the Columbus jazz and rib festival every year but other than that I don't go out of my way for concerts because my ears are precious to me (I tune pianos).

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:28 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
fair enough, My hearing is really poor these days after too much time near overly loud speakers. Just before christmas I went to see machine head and was up at the front but slightly to the left of the stage literally about 6 foot away from a wall of speakers. Couldn't hear properly for ages afterwards. It's really quite damaging
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
fair enough, My hearing is really poor these days after too much time near overly loud speakers. Just before christmas I went to see machine head and was up at the front but slightly to the left of the stage literally about 6 foot away from a wall of speakers. Couldn't hear properly for ages afterwards. It's really quite damaging

I learned years ago - bring earplugs!  If you don't have 'em, improvise with a napkin or something; some protection is better than none.

When I was in high school over 30 years ago, a buddy of mine got us tickets for a Judas Priest concert at the Meadowlands.  I was T-I-R-E-D.  I fell asleep by the third song, missed the whole show.  Never heard the end of that from him...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/