Feedback on project

Author (Read 626 times)

Feedback on project
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:38 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi guys,

I put this in the conversation parlor as although it's design and development, it isn't playing card related but I wanted to share some of our work with you guys and hopefully get some feedback.

First of all a bit of background. Myself and my other half, Maria, are currently working for architectural practices in the UK and have our own small studio that we have set up to complete private commissions, something that we are looking to move into full time when Maria starts her PHD in around 18 months time.

Apart from the usual residential projects we are really hoping to develop the brand into something less typical and have undertaken some artwork commissions to develop our portfolio - the latest of which you can see the work in progress of below. We have been asked by a professor in HK university to work on a book cover for his latest book which maps his teaching methods and the learning journey of his students during PHD research. It would be great to hear what you guys think of the progress.

I have also included a few other images of some more conceptual architectural pieces and more can be seen on the site a www.designsharp.co.uk (which needs a good overhaul). I am hoping that this summer I may get enough time to start working on a concept towards a deck of cards so will keep you posted when we start on it.

Book cover image

Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

Re: Feedback on project
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:39 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Other images

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:34:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi guys,

I put this in the conversation parlor as although it's design and development, it isn't playing card related but I wanted to share some of our work with you guys and hopefully get some feedback.

First of all a bit of background. Myself and my other half, Maria, are currently working for architectural practices in the UK and have our own small studio that we have set up to complete private commissions, something that we are looking to move into full time when Maria starts her PHD in around 18 months time.

Apart from the usual residential projects we are really hoping to develop the brand into something less typical and have undertaken some artwork commissions to develop our portfolio - the latest of which you can see the work in progress of below. We have been asked by a professor in HK university to work on a book cover for his latest book which maps his teaching methods and the learning journey of his students during PHD research. It would be great to hear what you guys think of the progress.

I have also included a few other images of some more conceptual architectural pieces and more can be seen on the site a www.designsharp.co.uk (which needs a good overhaul). I am hoping that this summer I may get enough time to start working on a concept towards a deck of cards so will keep you posted when we start on it.

Book cover image

Regarding the HK Univ. book, what Ph.D. subject?

I like the general concept of what you've created, but the color - it reminds me of things like winter, desolation and concrete.  Perhaps a different color, same image?

I REALLY like the first image in the second post - it looks like a cross between the insides of a piano and a ballerina standing en pointe.  Looks very cool.

The fourth image of that post is also pretty interesting - now THAT, for some reason, is more evocative of a college text, at least in my mind.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:35:57 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks Don,

The book cover is for a Mathematics PHD tutor.

The first image in the second post was for a project based around feedback enhanced prosthetics and was used in that instance for a ballerina.

The last image is actually a initial concept plan view for an exhibition space.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:47:39 AM by Magasaki »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks Don,

The book cover is for a Mathematics PHD tutor.

The first image in the second post was for a project based around feedback enhanced prosthetics and was used in that instance for a ballerina.

The last image is actually a initial concept plan view for an exhibition space.

The cover on that book - could the colors be juiced up a little?  It really is a bit depressing looking at all that gray, so I can only imagine what a math doctoral student is going to think.  Math majors are often looked at as being a bit unusual to start with - it takes a special person to become one.

I'd say either go a little more "photorealistic" with the colors or choose a different palette.  By photorealistic, I'm thinking the colors would be more realistic while not actually changing the image at all - in other words, not an actual photo, just the colors you'd find in nature.

Have you considered some of the studies done on colors and how people respond to them?  I saw a weightlifter, real muscle-bound guy, lift a set of weights like it was easy, but when trying to replicate the act while looking at a card painted a particular shade of pink, he simply couldn't do it - he couldn't execute the clean-and-jerk motion to lift the weights.  The color sapped him of his ability to raise his adrenaline for the burst of strength he needed.  Eventually, some jails and prisons started using that color in the common areas as a means to reduce violence.  I'd take it a step further and make the guard uniforms and inmate jumpsuits in the same color!  I'd check this out and perhaps find a shade that helps to stave off depression - it can be hard for a math major doctoral candidate to keep their spirits up.  Or maybe there's a color that aids in increasing brain function?

Not a lot of designers will take a factor like that into account, to which I say, "Why the hell not?"  Web and print design can be much more than a bunch of pretty pictures tastefully arranged.  There's not one reason at all why some science shouldn't be applied to produce a positive end result - other than the fact that few designers were science majors in college!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:29:49 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/