You are Here:
Need help to date these decks

Author (Read 588 times)

Need help to date these decks
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

just like the article, i need you guys help me to date my decks Tally Ho. based on the tax stamp and the box design, i'm pretty sure is about 1940-1965. but the tax stamp were canceled by C.D.C.CO. instead of A.P.C.CO.
anyone can help me  :D

Re: Need help to date these decks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
hi everyone,
just like the article, i need you guys help me to date my decks Tally Ho. based on the tax stamp and the box design, i'm pretty sure is about 1940-1965. but the tax stamp were canceled by C.D.C.CO. instead of A.P.C.CO.
anyone can help me  :D

By the time this stamp was in use, USPC had already combined Andrew Doughtery & Co. (Tally Ho) and the New York Consolidated Card Co. (Bee) into Consolidated-Doughtery Card Co.  CDCC was kept independent of USPC I believe until 1963, when the brands were finally brought into USPC and CDCC was closed.  USPC kept the traditional box designs, knowing that there were many card players loyal to these two brands.  You can verify the date probably on the "52 Problems" site or IPCS' World of Playing Cards.  To this day, USPC still operates at least two companies independently of their main operations in Erlanger, KY - Gemāco and Naipes Heraclio Fournier.

I know of no circumstance in which they would have been stamped A.P.C. Co.  Had they been stamped U.P.S.C. Co. or U.S.P.C.C., the decks would have a manufacture date between USPC taking the reins more directly (1963) and the repeal of the federal tax on playing cards (1965).

If you provide more complete images of the boxes, there might be other clues as to the decks' age.

Please note that I've moved your topic into the proper board - as with all decks over twenty years old, it goes in A Cellar of Fine Vintages.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:34:07 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/