You are Here:
Generally, one to open and one sealed?

Author (Read 4479 times)

Generally, one to open and one sealed?
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »

Northwest29

• Newcomer
A question from a genuine  newbie collector. Do collectors generally buy at minimum two decks of a particular design so that one can be opened and one can remained sealed. I 'assume' a sealed deck in more valuable in the long run than one that has been opened? TNX

Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."
Ron

Re: Generally, one to open and one sealed?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Yep, a sealed modern deck is definitely more valuable than an open one just due to the print run and how many them currently exist on the market. Even sealed modern decks can have its value lost if no one wants it; that supply and demand mentality.

It varies by people, but I like to have 2-3 decks of a deck if I can. 1 to keep seal in my collection, 1 to open and 1 to play with if it's a deck I really like, which works out as a good indicator of what I should buy 'cause if I don't want to spend the money on 2 or 3 decks of that deck then, it's probably not worth it in my mind.

The best advice I can think if just to buy what you like and can afford.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Generally speaking that is true.  One to play and one to stay unopened.  And of course your unopened ones you want to put them them in a nice big display case....

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »

Northwest29

• Newcomer
Generally speaking that is true.  One to play and one to stay unopened.  And of course your unopened ones you want to put them them in a nice big display case....

Oh my gosh!!! I can't ever see myself with that many decks, but I suppose the 'fever' could strike when I least expect it. <grin>

Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."
Ron

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Oh my gosh!!! I can't ever see myself with that many decks, but I suppose the 'fever' could strike when I least expect it. <grin>

Ron

That's what I said a little over a year ago.  ???
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:01:34 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
of course... I don't understand the collectors who have say 500 to 1,000 decks and when I see their collection (ie the cardist or sacprod101 they have like 5 or 6 of the same deck) that to me should not "count" towards quantity.

I have over 400 decks - all different - no duplicates.

Not bragging just differentiating. I don't count dupes as part of my collection. Most of my decks I buy 1 of - to collect. Rarely do I buy 2 to play with "AND" collect. My "play with" box is very small, maybe 12 or so decks.

To "play with" I am just as happy using store bought off the shelf cards

(+1 to everyone in this fun topic)
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Ron

I said that in December of 2010.  Now I have over 1,700 decks...  I have dramatically slowed down my purchasing, though.  Mine stay in little drawers in a nice pair of plastic cabinets from Staples.  And in sports-card collectors' "monster boxes".  A monster box can hold 5,000 sports cards or 125 decks.  I think I'm up to eight of those...

In most cases, I buy two decks - one to use, one to store.  For certain decks, I'll buy more.  If I'm exceptionally fond of a deck, I'll get a few more.  If it's a deck I plan to use for performance, I'll buy more.  There's only a few designs I use for performance.

Bicycle "Standard"/Rider Back
Bicycle Mandolin Back
Bicycle Maiden Back
Bicycle Masters
Bicycle Guardians
Bicycle Series 1800
Split Spades Lions
Tally Ho Circle Back
Monarchs
Legends No. 852 version 1

My standard for a performance deck would be to try to get a deck that's still in print, so new packs don't cost an arm and a leg, and to choose decks that have some kind of edge built into them.  The edges I commonly look for:

A one-way mark
Available in gaffed versions, the most common ones I use being stripper, marked, Mirage, Gambler's, Invisible
Gaff cards available
A standard or mostly-standard face

of course... I don't understand the collectors who have say 500 to 1,000 decks and when I see their collection (ie the cardist or sacprod101 they have like 5 or 6 of the same deck) that to me should not "count" towards quantity.

I have over 400 decks - all different - no duplicates.

Not bragging just differentiating. I don't count dupes as part of my collection. Most of my decks I buy 1 of - to collect. Rarely do I buy 2 to play with "AND" collect. My "play with" box is very small, maybe 12 or so decks.

To "play with" I am just as happy using store bought off the shelf cards

(+1 to everyone in this fun topic)

As far as the variety of decks in my collection...  I would guess around 600 models, maybe more, not counting magic decks.

Now, MO, you say that you can't understand someone owning hundreds of decks where some are available in multiples.  I have an open pack of nearly every single deck I own.  I like that I get to actually use the cool designs and see the artwork.

Each collector has his or her own personal style, but for me, if I had all those decks and never opened them...  I compare it to someone buying valuable works of art, like paintings, sculptures, etc. and never opening the crate they came in!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I do have duplicates of most of my decks, and have not opened most of them. It's not that I don't want to. Just been pretty busy. Hopefully things will get back to normal in a few months, and I can get back to my regular poker game.

Oh, and for MO, +1 for everybody.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:38:38 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm part of the 1 + 1 team, one to save, one to open. Occasionally I'll pick up a third deck, but not too often. Color changes are the other variable, if there are various colors and It's a deck I really like, I'll double up on the my favorite color and only pick up one of the variations.

I haven't opened all my duplicates............yet, I have to agree with Don, having the deck and not opening it is a shame. The reason I collect is also for the artwork and not being able to appreciate the work takes away from the enjoyment of the collection, my opinion of course.

But like bhong said, go with what you like and can afford, there is not a right or wrong way to collect............it's your collection, it can be whatever you want  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:19:19 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Happy to see my collection making a cameo in this thread!  When I first started collecting I would buy 2 of everything.  I stopped that pretty early on.  I only get duplicates of deck I really like or would want to use. 

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I actually tend to go with 3 if possible/affordable... 1 to open, 1 to collect, and 1 in case I ever want to give it away or sell it...

For designs that I really love/think I'm going to want to play with a bunch (eg. Origins or Lee's new Empire Bloodlines deck (go back it https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingsandcrooks/empire-bloodlines-playing-cards-and-warrior-card-a!!), I went for the brick! =)

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Wow, I wish I could afford to have my cards displayed like that!!!

Thoughts on Opening/Keeping sealed favourite decks?
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »

_Daniel_

This is something I have debated long and hard with myself. I have as of yet not come to a conclusion and was hoping for some help. One of my favourite parts of deck collecting is the ability to display my most prized decks, most of which I feel a physical repulsion from ever opening, even if I may have multiples. This troubles me because cards were made to be used in CARD games right? To be played with and enjoyed. It feels almost as if I'm doing the designer a bit of a disservice by not using and enjoying them to the full.

On the other hand, by not opening them, they may keep longer and so I can hopefully enjoy the designers work long into the future. Does it matter? Is it just personal choice?

I would be really interested in any thoughts you guys may have on this topic!

Thanks

Dan.

Re: Thoughts on Opening/Keeping sealed favourite decks?
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I am generally a single deck collector and will open my decks but keep them tidy. In some cases if I know there is a deck I especially like then I will buy 2 or 3 and keep a couple sealed and 1 opened.
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hi Daniel,

There's a very similar topic already on this in the conversation parlour.

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=6855.0

Hopefully this will help. Maybe a Mod can merge these?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
 :-\
Well...

Personally Im now on the 1 sealed - 1 to open team.

I always try to get at least 2 of each deck, just so i can play and admire the design of the decks.

But in the beginning it wasn't like that.

I used to buy bricks of each deck (it was cheaper because im an international buyer), so i ended up collecting just 1 deck and opening/using/selling all the other ones.

Form Follows Function

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »

_Daniel_

Hi Daniel,

Ah, sorry. I didn't think to check there, shall be sure to do so next time I think to post something!

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
It's all good :)

Happens to the best of us
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Locked - can't merge.
I believe there are a few more topics like this floating around here as well.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

_Daniel_

I find it tremendously difficult to open a deck, any deck, I suppose this is down to the fact I'm less of a user of the actual cards, I can't do magic and have been practicing for far to long to be able to do a proper fan, without success. I also think that some decks once opened may not be looked at for a long time and I have to debate with myself as to whether it is worth it. I don't know my personal answer yet, it seems many change their opinion over time! Maybe ask again in 2 years :P

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Moved and unlocked. I can remove it if you would like Daniel. Not sure if you got the answers you were looking for.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@_Daniel_ - It's simple.  Buy one to stay and buy another one to play.  You are now a collector with a bad habit.  Lol   

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Daniel,

I don't think the Parlor has a mod - but an Admin can (and has) merged them.  :))

Locked - can't merge.
I believe there are a few more topics like this floating around here as well.

I can't think of a reason why it would have been locked.  But then again, I can't think of a reason why I'm not a handsome, wealthy movie star, either...or a ninja, since we're taking about things I can't think of a reason for...

This is something I have debated long and hard with myself. I have as of yet not come to a conclusion and was hoping for some help. One of my favourite parts of deck collecting is the ability to display my most prized decks, most of which I feel a physical repulsion from ever opening, even if I may have multiples. This troubles me because cards were made to be used in CARD games right? To be played with and enjoyed. It feels almost as if I'm doing the designer a bit of a disservice by not using and enjoying them to the full.

On the other hand, by not opening them, they may keep longer and so I can hopefully enjoy the designers work long into the future. Does it matter? Is it just personal choice?

I would be really interested in any thoughts you guys may have on this topic!

Thanks

Dan.

I do use my cards in card games.  I use them any chance I get.  Most of the time, I play solitaire with them, primarily for lack of people to play games with.  It's not like I'm a weird loner, I just know too many people who aren't big card players.

Yes, enjoy your cards - open them, handle them, look at them.  Must you keep a deck in reserve?  That's entirely up to you.  But to never open a deck, just leaving it on the shelf?  It seems a waste to me.  I even take out vintage cards now and then to play with!  If you leave it on a shelf, never to use it, it's more of a fetish than a hobby, in my opinion.  I've likened it before to being like an art collector putting his favorite works on display while their still sealed in the shipping crate.

The only decks I have trouble opening are ones that are vintage and still sealed.  They might be more common than most modern custom decks, since most are indeed limited editions of 5,000 or less, but they're also little pieces of history and fewer of them remain as time goes on.  Opening a rare deck printed last month is easier for me than opening a common deck which still exists in larger numbers but was made 50 years ago.  I know there are ways to open the package and not break the seal, but it's still something I'm hesitant to do.

BTW: while I don't know the precise date the tax on playing cards was repealed in the US, next year is the 50th anniversary of that repeal.  Any deck with an original tax stamp will be at least fifty years old then!

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I find it tremendously difficult to open a deck, any deck, I suppose this is down to the fact I'm less of a user of the actual cards, I can't do magic and have been practicing for far to long to be able to do a proper fan, without success. I also think that some decks once opened may not be looked at for a long time and I have to debate with myself as to whether it is worth it. I don't know my personal answer yet, it seems many change their opinion over time! Maybe ask again in 2 years :P
@_Daniel_ - It's simple.  Buy one to stay and buy another one to play.  You are now a collector with a bad habit.  Lol   

Daniel... Welcome to the Club...*Evil Laughter*

I basically have at least 2 of each decks - 1 to open 1 to keep. But i have not opened most of my decks yet, mainly because I'm still waiting for my new flat, and i rather have everything organized and have places for everything to be placed properly before i start opening and going crazy on all my cards. I admit i have a little OCD...just a little.  :P

BTW, i don't open my decks at the thought of wanting to use them for card games and such. Of course, if it just happens than so be it. But i open mainly because, like what Don said, it is to enjoy the artwork within the cards. While there are many well designed tuck boxes around, the same can be said for the cards as well. I generally keep uncut sheets that have customised face cards as well. It lets people see the full art at one go. I'm actually planning to go for 3 or more decks now, so that i can take cards out from the third deck to create different "framed work" of my own as well. I've seen a few members framed jokers and card backs from different decks together, and it looks awesome.

While i personally think it is always better to have one deck in its "original (unwrapped)" state, the most important is to actually enjoy your collection whichever way suits you best. Frame it all up or open it all and play with it, it is completely up to you, as long as you are happy and comfortable with it.

Remember, it is a hobby. Not some job or test that you have to do it all correctly.

Opening a rare deck printed last month is easier for me than opening a common deck which still exists in larger numbers but was made 50 years ago.  I know there are ways to open the package and not break the seal, but it's still something I'm hesitant to do.

BTW: while I don't know the precise date the tax on playing cards was repealed in the US, next year is the 50th anniversary of that repeal.  Any deck with an original tax stamp will be at least fifty years old then!

Don, these "modern" rare decks will be as hard to find 50 years down the road...Just saying..  ;)

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 04:06:54 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I generally only buy one. I have plenty of open decks for play and I buy  them solely to add to my collection.  That and my wife would be that many more times irritated with me... :-\
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, these "modern" rare decks will be as hard to find 50 years down the road...Just saying..  ;)

And I'm old enough that I will either not be alive or not have enough of my faculties to enjoy them.

Also, when it comes to vintage decks, even opened ones in decent shape are worth money - "mint in sealed" is a rarer condition.  Though, as "Death of Superman #1", if enough people have been buying them and keeping them, there will be so many remaining in fifty years that they won't be worth much of anything.  But to be fair, they made enough of those to build a second Jamaica or Cuba, including the island itself...

Back to the point - if enough collectors keep them in perfect shape, the value increase potential shrinks.