You are Here:
New book for modern playing card collectors

Author (Read 3766 times)

New book for modern playing card collectors
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:56:32 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
Hey everyone! I am still fairly new hear but I am a 52PlusJoker member. I was referred to post about my project here by a few other members. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this:

I am currently writing a book which I consider is a "go-to guide" for anyone wanting to get in to serious playing card collecting. I am obviously a collector and most of you are as well, but hopefully my book would be beneficial.

A general description of the book: It is called Modern Playing Card Collecting. While other books focus on collecting vintage cards and pricing them, mine will be more of: how to collect modern playing cards successfully. It is already over 175 pages, and will end up at around 200 once I am done with it. It includes resources for people who want to look for cards, where to look, and how to judge quality of cards when you find them. After wards it also goes over ways to know what kind of cards to collect and how to protect and display them. I also have hundreds of pictures and interviews with some of the best people involved with playing cards (Including fellow members here on this site! Dave Buck, Judy & Tom Dawson, Lee Asher, Owen Packard, and Paul Carpenter. These people were a blast to interview and I'm sure everyone will learn a lot from the interviews alone!)

It has taken me over a year to write and it is very special to me. Now I want to clarify that I am not making this post to advertise it or anything. What I am thinking about is making a Kickstarter campaign for this book. I am curious, does anyone find this something they would want to see on Kickstarter?

Finally, it is getting late for me, but I will gladly answer any questions about the book that anyone has. So please post any questions or feedback! Thanks again everyone!
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

Re: New book for modern playing card collectors
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:46 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I personally think its a good idea. As you have mentioned, there are quite a few books in the market that are focusing on vintage playing cards, but there aren't any on modern playing cards. It gives new collectors something more that they can relate to as compared to harder to obtain vintage cards.

Parts i like about what is being mentioned would be on how to judge quality of cards, what kind of cards to collect and how to display them. I think you could probably try explain difference between vintage and modern decks as well? Or maybe what you mean by/how you define modern decks?

I do have the Hochman encyclopedia and Supplement & Price Guide by Tom Dawson. I think what would be nice is to include images of modern decks and description/information about the deck. Some what like a modern Hochman encyclopedia. It perhaps give people an idea on what people are collecting i.e are the decks they are collecting part of a series? what is the version of the deck they have and how many versions are there? Just an idea.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I think this is a great idea, and I would be very much interested in it. :) I would also like to suggest maybe you can add a section explaining different types of modern playing card collectors? You mentioned that you would be including, "ways to know what kind of cards to collect" so maybe it ties in with this, because the type of collector you are would affect what kind of cards you would be interested in collecting. Some collectors only collect USPCC made playing cards, while others collect only Bicycle branded decks. Others collect based on design (I'm one of them) and prefer fully custom decks (tuck box, courts, and pips), and others also consider the way the deck handles. Also, maybe a little bit about well known designers and manufacturers. Maybe you've considered these already, but I'm just putting it out there in case.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
PurpleIce: You bring up a good point. I will be adding a clearer definition of vintage/modern just to help clarify. I am actually planning on making a glossary of terms in the back of the book. I can include this here as well! I actually have the Hochman with the Supplement as well. That was a good inspiration to my book as well. (Thus why I wanted to interview Tom and Judy) I think of this book like the "little brother" of the Hochman because my goal wasn't to make an encyclopedia. If I tried to catalogue modern playing card, there would be noes decks by the time I printed it, so it makes it difficult. Doesn't mean I won't though!

Sher143: I'm glad you bring up the the different types of collectors. In my third chapter (which might change) I categorize the playing card collector in to one or more of three different types of collectors. They consist of:

The Hunter: The kind of collector who wants to have anything and everything playing card themed. They may buy nearly one of every deck that they can find. Also, they tend to buy anything with images of the courts on them or even pips. This is my category personally. I have mug sets, trump reminders, fine art that is playing card themed, and just about anything that have cards on it.

The Archivist: This form of collector is more specific might their collections. As you said, they may only collect Bicycle branded cards or cards in a certain time period. They probably will not be going to garage sales picking up every deck they can find for a quarter, but instead search for very specific cards that would fit their collections.

The Hobbyist: This is similar to both of the above combined. They normally got in to card collecting because their hobbies allowed them to do so. Like I am a magician or maybe a gambler would do this as well and begin to collect cards and other stuff based on their hobbies. This is why Ellusionist and Theory11 are so successful!

I am obviously not going to copy my whole chapter on here, but I go in to fairly deep detail about it. I'm glad there are such smart people on here! It makes me realize that I am not the only person willing to put this much thought in to this book! Great suggestions from you both! Keep them coming!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
I'd say I'm a hunter. But I would say there is a difference between me and the others of my category.

There are the addicts, who will, by any means necessary, have every card they want and usually, they want to be the first people and (even better) the only people to have what they have. These people may have extra money to comfortably fund the habit or they may not. It does not matter to them. There is great joy when a new deck is released (b/c they know they will have it), however, this group is probably the most susceptible to "burn-out."

I'd say I'm a Responsible Addict, where, I still have a strong desire to have every deck, but I know I can't afford all or even most of them (especially when they are first released) and this brings me a level of anxiety (nothing major). Every new release brings a new inner tug of war whether or not the deck is worth it now or later or ever. The collecting is regulated by ones own anxious restraint. The problem in this manner of collecting is that it takes effort (in keeping expenses reasonable) and patience (perhaps waiting for sales to buy decks). There may be more satisfaction gained on average per deck collected than the addict.

Then there may be a group of Recovering Addicts, those that once were the all-out gotta-have-em-all collectors that burned out but stayed in the hobby only for a few choice decks that are exceptionally beautiful or exceptionally different. They are happy with the knowledge that they will not have every deck out there. They probably get the most joy out of every new addition.

At least those are some of my ideas...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
More hunters here. However we slowly realized we couldn't have everything and after getting a few decks we really wanted in trade for ones we really liked but which weren't quite as important to us, we realized it was fine. Nice to have owned it but OK it had found a nice home!

We also collected anything with PC imagery but have slowly been weeding it out and keeping only what we really like. Still got boxes to move on. Come to Charleston and see some!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:42:57 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
If I tried to catalogue modern playing card, there would be noes decks by the time I printed it, so it makes it difficult. Doesn't mean I won't though!

That's where you put a timeline to it like some other books do. You can always do say, whatever year you think modern cards start from, up till 2013.
That gives people an indication of what period their decks are coming from as well. And if it is successful, you can go on to do a supplement as well. You could probably do a yearly thing if you feel there is a market demand for it.  ;) ;)

If that really happens...I'll pay for the 1st book, but please give me a free (Or at least a discounted) yearly subscription for those that come out next.  ;D

More hunters here. However we slowly realized we couldn't have everything and after getting a few decks we really wanted in trade for ones we really liked but which weren't quite as important to us, we realized it was fine. Nice to have owned it but OK it had found a nice home!

We also collected anything with PC imagery but have slowly been weeding it out and keeping only what we really like. Still got boxes to move on. Come to Charleston and see some!

I think almost all collectors, other than hobbyists, who probably had much interaction with cards and knows what they want, starts out more or less a hunter. Everybody would be expanding their collection till they probably break up into different groups. Some who like certain designs will become archivist. Others who want "card world" domination become hard core hunters or addicts as aptombstone mentioned. There are also the investors who go for decks that deem to have high re-sale value or very limited production/release.

Another thing to do is probably spread the word around other forums or card sites as well, especially internationally. Even go for hobby or book stores if needed. Targeting a specific group is already hard enough. Whatever it is, i do wish you the best of luck in this project.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
I really like how everyone is categorizing their collecting styles. I have evolved from The Hunter to more of an Archivist, but I didn't make these categories to lump people together in categories. We all collect cards and that is what it great! However, the reason I bring these up in my book is because depending on which of them we are currently, the book has suggestions for each of them on where to look for cards, and resources for you. For example, the hunter looks nearly anywhere for playing cards. This book gives examples of where to look in order to get the best results!

I also have a whole chapter for "Locations" Which takes 15 different ways or places to get playing cards and ranks them based on quality/variety/rarity/price/frequency. An easy example, a garage sale may have very cheaply prices cards, but the quality would be dismal, versus an antique store where the opposite is normally true.

PurpleIce: I will be sure to give you any discounts I can afford on future volumes! I am just debating on if I should bring this book to kickstarted and self publish it or pitch it to an actual publishing company. Any suggestions?

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think this is a great idea, while collecting "Antiques" is always fun and should be a part of any collection, in my opinion, there are so many collectors of modern decks that, to be honest, have only the opinions of forums and blogs to steer them.........no offense to anyone, lol.

I think the understanding and information used when collecting vintage cards can be applied to modern cards in a lot of respects, as mentioned, where to buy, who makes it, print runs, what makes it custom or different, the list can go on for a quite a bit. I love keeping my Bibles handy, I have one for Zippo's, my Hochman Encyclopedia's just arrived and this book would round the library off nicely.

Very excited about this book!

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Musical_racket, the book is a fantastic idea, and I will definitely back it when it's on Kickstarter  :)

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:49 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I really like how everyone is categorizing their collecting styles. I have evolved from The Hunter to more of an Archivist, but I didn't make these categories to lump people together in categories. We all collect cards and that is what it great! However, the reason I bring these up in my book is because depending on which of them we are currently, the book has suggestions for each of them on where to look for cards, and resources for you. For example, the hunter looks nearly anywhere for playing cards. This book gives examples of where to look in order to get the best results!

I also have a whole chapter for "Locations" Which takes 15 different ways or places to get playing cards and ranks them based on quality/variety/rarity/price/frequency. An easy example, a garage sale may have very cheaply prices cards, but the quality would be dismal, versus an antique store where the opposite is normally true.

PurpleIce: I will be sure to give you any discounts I can afford on future volumes! I am just debating on if I should bring this book to kickstarted and self publish it or pitch it to an actual publishing company. Any suggestions?

I think you should launch a project on KS. Its a matter of how you want to launch it that should be decided.

I personally believe that you should think of KS as not a place to sell your books, but expanding your market range to more people. We have seen projects for playing cards on KS that made hundreds of thousands of dollars. So definitely the card collectors are there. KS also has connection to quite a number of international card collectors/retailers that a local publishing company may not have.

Name of the wind had 11,334 backers though some may argue the book helped boost its success.
Federal decks have close to 3k backers, Uusi had about 1-2k backers. Even the current ornate deck hit 300 backers in one day.

I think the main issue is how to get backers to be interested in your project. KS will be a good starting ground to "test the market". If it is successful, publishing companies will come to you. Just be sure to get your costings right if you are self-publishing.

Another thing is your "locations" or your book in general. Are they based locally from where you from? Or do you provide locations internationally as well? It may be a good guide for your international backers or people who travel often. I am sure the US market is big enough to support itself, but getting some help from overseas is a good bonus.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
Sparkz and Emmanuel: Thank you very much for your support! I really appreciate it!

PurpleIce: To clarify on my locations chapter, it is a generalization of various areas. While I have never travelled internationally, these aren't exact locations like an address for the location. But instead they are general locations, like online auctions, other private collectors, thrift stores, retail stores, promotional events. The purpose of this chapter is to compare and contrast what you can expect so you can optimize your collecting. You can use the locations that you have researched here and focus to get the best results. I would assume that some of them apply towards international collectors as well, but as I have never been, I cannot confirm that.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just another vote to let you know I would back this book on KS, no question. I'm looking forward to it.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 01:04:24 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I suggest maybe looking into CreateSpace by Amazon. I backed a project by a creator who was self-publishing his books, and he mentioned that he would be doing it via CreateSpace. From what I learned, I believe they publish on demand, so no minimum print runs required. Just thought it might be worth looking into.

https://www.createspace.com/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:06:01 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
Thank you Sher! I have been looking in to a few different options on whether I wanted to self publish my book or look in to publishers. I think I am going to personally do self publishing and this surely looks like one of the cheaper options for me. I would have to contact them about rights to the book and how I would sell them, but I believe that this is going to be a very reasonable way to do it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone else have any input on self publishing?

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you Sher! I have been looking in to a few different options on whether I wanted to self publish my book or look in to publishers. I think I am going to personally do self publishing and this surely looks like one of the cheaper options for me. I would have to contact them about rights to the book and how I would sell them, but I believe that this is going to be a very reasonable way to do it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone else have any input on self publishing?

Be careful about the publisher you choose - make certain you get a company that does publishing on demand or electronic books.  Anything else will probably be a "vanity publisher", someone who'll charge an exorbitant sum to publish a short run of books to anyone willing to fork over the cash in advance.  Maybe they'll help you sell it, maybe they won't, but either way, you have to pay in full up front before a single book is sold.  It's not cheap.

Publishing on demand is a relatively new thing for print companies.  The printer makes no books in advance.  You provide them the text which they convert into a digital format for a special press that can literally print a single paperback book at a time in just a handful of minutes - usually less time than it would take for the typical fast-food delivery to arrive.  The press is really like a specialized computer printer that prints and binds a whole book.  The printer makes a book only when one is sold, shipping it off soon after it's been created, so warehousing is minimized and costs lowered.  The barrier to entry is also lower for such companies using this print method - but that itself is no guarantee of success.  It's less expensive for the author to use this self-publishing method than it is to use a vanity press, but the end-result book isn't very cheap, at least not yet.  In time the costs of this type of publishing are expected to go down, allowing people to obtain not just new tomes but reprints of books long out of print with the same amount of ease and efficiency.  Imagine an entire bookstore that takes up no more space than a small pizza restaurant or perhaps even a street-corner newsstand.

For electronic publishing, Amazon has ways of getting unknown author's books published in the Kindle format, though at what cost I'm not certain.  They'll leave your book in inventory for however long you wish - it only costs them a few megabytes of computer data storage, a pittance, and it costs them the same to "print" one copy or one million copies.  It's the least expensive method to get printed, but you really have to have a built-in community to make it work for you (which you would, in this case) and there's the fact that you'd have to accept the limitations of an e-book format - a book that's art-heavy or has lots of photos isn't always best served in that format, and there are still holdouts that prefer having the book as a tangible object they can hold, one that never needs batteries, can be seen in any light without trouble and doesn't stop working when it gets a little wet.  I'm fairly certain that Apple's e-book store is a bit better - I know they did an excellent multimedia book for Al Gore a few years back - but again, I don't have a good idea on the pricing.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
I am seeing a few different publishers that offer a large amount of printing prices. They vary from decent to CRAZY high pricing per book.

I think many of the services that they offer are catered specifically for them to put the books in their stores only. Which if I do a Kickstarter, would not be an option. While I am finishing up the book, I would like to get a feel for what people would want to have. I have 3 different options. These are just general prices because I do not have the final price set in stone. Please post what you would be interested in:

Option 1: Ebook: This would be a small backers goal. I would email you a copy of the PDF for probably around $5. This option would also be included in any other copies of the book, I would gladly email you this as well.

Option 2: Paperback: Paperback version of the book, 200 pages, color pictures and pages for all of them. It might be around $25-$35 including shipping.

Option 3: Hardback limited edition: This would be a specialized version, probably limited edition which would be numbered and signed. Hardcover, dust jacket, etc. : probably around $60-$80.

There are not set in stone yet, I would just like to see what everyone would be interested in and if I would even consider for my Kickstarter if I decide to use that course to publish it. Looking forward to your feedback!

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I'd go for Option 2. While I'd love to get Option 3, I'd probably be spending that money for new decks and I don't see an immediate reason to get a hardbound LE of something that's going to (probably) have further editions.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would keep the options to e-book and paperback, or e-book alone.  It's a specialized book, easier and cheaper to sell electronically.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'd go for Option 2. While I'd love to get Option 3, I'd probably be spending that money for new decks and I don't see an immediate reason to get a hardbound LE of something that's going to (probably) have further editions.

My collector heart will tell me to get option 3, but my reasoning brain and almost empty wallet will settle for option 2.

I would keep the options to e-book and paperback, or e-book alone.  It's a specialized book, easier and cheaper to sell electronically.

I'm not too sure about people these days, but i still will not go for e-book. I still prefer having a hardcopy of the book rather than reading it off a tablet or PC. (I end up having books on the floor while i make more shelves, but i still prefer it) But....this is just me. I'm weird in certain ways.  :P

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm not too sure about people these days, but i still will not go for e-book. I still prefer having a hardcopy of the book rather than reading it off a tablet or PC. (I end up having books on the floor while i make more shelves, but i still prefer it) But....this is just me. I'm weird in certain ways.  :P

If the format is something like a PDF, you can print it and stack it on the floor with the other books to your heart's content.  The plain fact is that e-publishing costs a fraction of what physical copies cost to create, and some of those savings can get passed on to the consumer...  Remember that lonely wallet, empty but for some dust and a moth that flies out on cue when you open it...  :))

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
I would include a copy of the PDF for anyone who bought a normal physical copy of the book. After all, it is not that difficult to email a link to download it. Progress is looking good on it!

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I would def do option 1. Option 2 may happen depending on the play funds available at the time the book caught my attention.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Might want to consider http://www.lulu.com/ for a self-publish option. I've done a couple small run instructional books for software through there and the results have been pretty nice. Probably even better now then when I tried a few years back.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:17 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
Thanks Paul! I like their selections. I'm sure that I will be making a chart shortly on what I want and what options and prics may be the best soon. I will surely look into this company as well.