You are Here:
Cardistry/Flourishing/XCM talk and help thread

Author (Read 4918 times)

Re: Cardistry/Flourishing/XCM talk and help thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 02:58:11 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Thanks Don,, Practicing over four hrs. a day seems to burn out my hands ,, I am 55 yrs old ,, getting good though! I have all the DVD's ,, Im into  SOLO by Michael James ,,,  Strength and stretching,   How far can one go ??? IWO  Flourishing at my age , I used to play the guitar ,

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
does anyone have advice for inventing a new card flourish? :o

Every time I go out with anyone that has cardistry skills, they're practically non-stop fiddling with a pack of cards - it looks almost like a mental compulsion.  These guys eat, sleep and breathe cards.

Yeah that pretty much sums up flourishers haha!  :P

does anyone have advice for inventing a new card flourish? :o

Well, usually it's not a deliberate thing... You can think of different concepts but there is no set formula for coming up with a flourish. Also, you need to be into flourishing for a little while before being able to come up with moves... Unless you're unnaturally talented :))
So on the whole it's mainly accidental - we just fiddle around and we'll make an unusual mistake that actually works. But as Don said we really need to try and replicate it and perfect it before losing it. And again it comes a lot through practice and jamming.

Hello again !!  Flourishing talk !!!  Would finger exersizes be involved in this post ??  I have a stress ball bought from ( Golds Gym ) the blue one ,, it is soft, i'll say spongy ,, Has anybody come up with a decent exersize format ???  Mine is , hold the ball in a hand , to start left or right !!!

To start with, strength will not make you dexterous however it does make you feel more comfortable when handling cards. A stress ball is fine, it builds your wrists, forearms, thumbs and fingers. Dexterity will come when learning new flourishes and experimenting with different grips. I'd say just exercise until you are happy with the strength and build of your hands, no particular format is required. :)
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »

Edward

• True Member
No way ready to post a video of my stuff !!!  Not that good , at all ,, "Mecka" took me 6 hrs. to get it down with having fun with it ... The Routine of  the scissor cut jump to the revolotion cut while plucking a card from the second packet in the left hand from the lame right is beyond me !!!!  maybe I should stick with the easy stuff,, not the profesional work,, so I do not get discouraged,, what do you think,, We are all not pro's,, These guy's " the twins "  just have the knack. On the scissor cut ??? could you give some advise ? That is ahard cut for many people !!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

To start with, strength will not make you dexterous however it does make you feel more comfortable when handling cards. A stress ball is fine, it builds your wrists, forearms, thumbs and fingers. Dexterity will come when learning new flourishes and experimenting with different grips. I'd say just exercise until you are happy with the strength and build of your hands, no particular format is required. :)

If someone really wants to improve their dexterity, they could try taking up a musical instrument - either a stationary keyboard-based or a plucked-string based.  A brass or woodwind instrument requires the performer to keep his or her hands too stationary while performing, so they wouldn't help dexterity enough.  But a piano, a harp, a guitar, a harpsichord, and those harps that are small and look like the child of a harp and a guitar (I forget what they're called) as well.  So would musical water glasses - but not a harmonium.  Anything that requires fast movements of the fingers but with the hands in motion rather than a fixed, stationary position.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Hi again !!  Don is on the Mark !!! Dexterity ,,, Control !!!   # 1,2,3   Practice !!!!!  Break down the flourishes that you wan't to learn into segments ,,, Get each segment down then incoroerate it all !!!  When I start to feel overwelmed I slow down  for a day or two !!!  For me,, it is just fun ,,, Do not try to tackle the real hard flourishes right off the bat !!!!  Unless you are one of those very talented people, Remember That it is a new muscle control in your hands,, Give it time !!!!  and it all will explode to your favor !!!  Practice till the sun goes down !!!!

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »

Edward

• True Member
 Hi Everybody !!!   I've been working on the flourish ( The Dragon, On utube by  EllusionistKent )  I'm haveing trouble getting down the wing sequence from frames 18-20 (fast mode) and 1:12- 1:18 slow mode ,,, Can anybody elaberate on this ???

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 02:58:31 AM »

Edward

• True Member
 :D Welp !! got it down,,,,,, time to move on !!!!  Finish the flourish  !!!!  anybody got something better ?????

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

Divinefury

• Newcomer
Hi, I'm a newbie, trying to learn the Sybil cut. I'm having problems holding the packet between my middle finger and pinky. It doesn't seem to keep still and keeps on swinging forward and dropping out. Will gripping it tighter help? Any advice is welcome!!

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Simple !  Practice it five hundred times in a row , and do not get discouraged ! Go slow ! Speed will pick up in time ! your hands are learning to use differant muscles , There is free hand exersizes on Utube for flourishing! Dan and Dave also have good exersizes, As with De'vo !!!! Take your time and Relax your hands when flourishing , otherwise your hands will tire out !!!!

Practice , over and over , It took me two months to get the dragon wing spread on the dragon flourish down pat, I had to build strength and dexterity but with practice , I still bite at it !!!!!!!! But it's getting better !!!!  Lol !!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:30:46 PM by Curt »