You are Here:
Vintage Collection

Author (Read 37289 times)

Re: Vintage Collection
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 06:45:56 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@ sxjy... Did you know the guy I bought the 1883 Steamboats from won that deck and an identical mint deck at a country western auction for $130 (Both Decks). Again, there you have an auction - nothing to do with playing cards, and they're sitting on gold and just don't know it... Amazing!!!

Sometimes I just wish I'm in the States where all these auctions take place, where you people could dig gold outta junk piles in exchange for coins! (Though most of the times I'd rather stay away from the country for various reasons.)

By the way, what happened to the mint deck?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:59:04 AM by sxjy0109 »

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I didn't post the Bicycle Gold Edge Racer Backs yet... When would I date those?
1981 ;)
How did you know the exact year?  :-\
"Salvation lies within" quoted from the 1995 movie The Shawshank Redemption.

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:19 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The range of the stamp is generally good, but it's that 1940 - 1965 stamp that bothers me... It's such a range... It would be nice to know if a deck was from WWII or when we sent our troops to Vietnam... a quarter of a century is a long time...

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:58 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@ sxjy - He kept the mint deck... I tried, but he wasn't hearing it... Kind of how you feel about the Leaf Deck.. hahaha...

@ digi - Those are some sick bricks...

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:54 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@digipunk

No way. You're hanging on to two bricks of gold edges Racer Backs?!
Oh look there! *Snatches them away*  ???

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2012, 06:59:49 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@ sxjy - He kept the mint deck... I tried, but he wasn't hearing it... Kind of how you feel about the Leaf Deck.. hahaha...

Don't blame me! Blame the designer of the deck for creating such a classic and elegant deck!  8)

Edit: Something to add to my first post in the thread (the Leaf Backs). I'm not sure why I didn't post it along with the few pictures. Apologies for the effect. I used it for a contest, and lost the original file. ><

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:04:18 AM by sxjy0109 »

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@digipunk

Thank God you don't know I have another brick of non-Gold Edges Racers >:( >:(

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@digipunk

Thank God you don't know I have another brick of non-Gold Edges Racers >:( >:(

Now I do!  :-[

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
This is my oldest deck, A. Dougherty's Steamboat No. 0, but it is so lowly if compared with jmrock's Steamboat 999 :(
It seems to have been wrapped with paper instead of being sealed by a tax stamp.

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
So I know the Tiger #101 is the first brand by Russell & Morgan Co., but this No. 0. What does it mean? How does it differ from the No.999?

I don't think it's actually more recent than jmrock's Steamboat No.999! A. Dougherty manufactured cards between 1848-1930. Your deck could very well be before his 1883!

Edit: I did some search and found out your No.0 wasn't produced until 1900, whilst the Steamboat 999 is 1883-1891. I guess his deck is older then...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:45:38 AM by sxjy0109 »

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:48 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
So I know the Tiger #101 is the first brand by Russell & Morgan Co., but this No. 0. What does it mean? How does it differ from the No.999?

I don't think it's actually more recent than jmrock's Steamboat No.999! A. Dougherty manufactured cards between 1848-1930. Your deck could very well be before his 1883!
All manufacturers had their own Steamboat brands, Steamboat 0, Steamboat 7-11, Steamboat 999, etc.
Steamboat No. 0 was first introduced by A. Dougherty in 1985, the same year as they produced Tally Ho. But this deck might not be produced in the very first year, it looks more like 1900.

See also: http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01842/d01842.htm
And the Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards is always the best reference:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:44:46 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 07:47:23 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Yeah I did catch that after doing some research, and came across that page too. I've editted my post already  :P

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
One more deck for the showcase:

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109, all your decks are very cool :-[ :-[

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

Glad you like them! Hopefully some more people would appreciate these vintage decks.  ;D

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Those stag backs are awesome looking! I would love to get those if they had a reprint of them.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Those stag backs are awesome looking! I would love to get those if they had a reprint of them.

They definitely are! I wouldn't be surprised if they do, seeing they've got 4 series of Bicycle reprints already in the past few years.

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:15 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@sxjy - Those are a couple of incredibly cool and rare decks... Bicycle Stag Back... Wow!!!

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@sxjy - Those are a couple of incredibly cool and rare decks... Bicycle Stag Back... Wow!!!

Thank you! I've got a few more coming up soon. Keep an eye on the thread!

Meanwhile, you and other people should post your vintage collections too!  8)

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Glad you like them! Hopefully some more people would appreciate these vintage decks.  ;D

...so we can snipe you in the next eBay bidding war?  :))

The vintage decks are very cool, but collecting them gets expensive, fast.  I got into cards because I was getting into card magic - I don't know about you, but I don't see myself doing a lot of magic with vintage decks!  I satisfy myself with looking at the cool examples that you guys are presenting here.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 02:26:47 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

...so we can snipe you in the next eBay bidding war?

The vintage decks are very cool, but collecting them gets expensive, fast.  I got into cards because I was getting into card magic - I don't know about you, but I don't see myself doing a lot of magic with vintage decks!  I satisfy myself with looking at the cool examples that you guys are presenting here.

lol hopefully they'll merely appreciate them, and not get into collecting. Otherwise like you said, I'll probably be sniped out in the auctions.

Yeah most of the times they don't come in cheap, at all. I'm a collector, but nevertheless, I don't see ANYONE doing magic with vintage decks. They'd be destroying the evidences of history!

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

...so we can snipe you in the next eBay bidding war?

lol hopefully they'll merely appreciate them, and not get into collecting. Otherwise like you said, I'll probably be sniped out in the auctions.

Yeah most of the times they don't come in cheap, at all. I'm a collector, but nevertheless, I don't see ANYONE doing magic with vintage decks. They'd be destroying the evidences of history!

Well, there's also the fact that Magic Finish beats anything previous hands down - this coming from a guy who's never handled a Jerry's Nugget, but that's really a major exception.

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

Well, there's also the fact that Magic Finish beats anything previous hands down - this coming from a guy who's never handled a Jerry's Nugget, but that's really a major exception.

That's probably one of the few things that has been improved over the time in the playing card industry. I'd really love to play with some of these vintage-design decks with Magic Finish.

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's probably one of the few things that has been improved over the time in the playing card industry. I'd really love to play with some of these vintage-design decks with Magic Finish.

Well then, do like what Zenneth Kok and several others are doing - pick a classic deck design and order a custom run!  People love these limited edition print runs of classic designs, and the New Fan Back was a fantastic choice done very well, with unique color combinations not previously used.  Imagine your favorite deck in your favorite color with Magic Finish, and perhaps even a stock upgrade...

If you couldn't get a good Kickstarter project going, perhaps you'd find a private investor willing to take a shot.  BMPokerWorld has at least two deck designs out that I know of, with a third on the way - their first was super simple: brown Rider Backs.  Other major deck dealers often have custom print runs made to sell in their shops and to other dealers.  Pick the right design and colors, you may even be able to get a prominent magic shop or vintage card dealer to get in on the action.  Imagine something like red-on-black Tally Ho circle or fan backs...  Sweet...  [drool]...  Maybe with outline pips instead of solid ones...  Use a really bright red, something that will pop against the back, and perhaps something other than white for the black suits, like electric blue or neon green...  Or you can take a classic 19th-century design and do a "Series 1800/Americana" on it!  The possibilities are practically limitless.  And you'd even have the option of creating magic versions, like strippers, marked decks, Mirage decks, etc.

Investment-wise, it wouldn't take an insane amount of cash.  The right design, done attractively with high-performance materials and Q1 quality control - you could make a good deal of money.  It wouldn't be easy, but since when is anything worthwhile in life easy?

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

Well then, do like what Zenneth Kok and several others are doing - pick a classic deck design and order a custom run!  People love these limited edition print runs of classic designs, and the New Fan Back was a fantastic choice done very well, with unique color combinations not previously used.  Imagine your favorite deck in your favorite color with Magic Finish, and perhaps even a stock upgrade...

I do really appreciate what Zenneth has done there. I've gotten myself two sets of them when they were first released. The back design is ought to be one of the most applauded amongst the users seeing that they were pretty common and easy to contain even as vintage decks, and I'm talking about pre-1980's.