Gold and Silver 2008 Beijing Olympic Cards

Author (Read 8713 times)

Re: Gold and Silver 2008 Beijing Olympic Cards
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They are 800 NTD a deck on Taiwan auctions if you can not find them in Beijing ???

That's a little over US$27 - and that doesn't even count shipping.

I'll wait and see what Krystle finds!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
They are 800 NTD a deck on Taiwan auctions if you can not find them in Beijing ???
I'll wait and see what Krystle finds!
I don't wanna say that but it is difficult to find the decks in local shops in Beijing. If she has friends in China, maybe they can try Taobao, that will be a much better way to get them. I am not sure, I don't trade with China sellers ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:27:06 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'll wait and see what Krystle finds!
I don't wanna say that but it is difficult to find the decks in local shops in Beijing. If she has friends in China, maybe they can try Taobao, that will be a much better way to get them. I am not sure, I don't trade with China sellers ???

Is Taobao a city or a shop?

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Taobao is like a chinese ebay. I buy my shoes and clothes from there a while back and I will soon again. I have not tried buying cards from there since well... its china. But I will give it a shot though

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Is Taobao a city or a shop?
In most Asian countries such as Japan, China, South Korea, Taiwan, etc, only "localized" auction services may survive and TaoBao is the main auction service (maybe the only one) in China.

eBay ever came to these countries but was totally defeated by other localized auction service companies.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:16:26 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Taobao isn't actually an auction service. All items on there are buy-it-now, if we use the eBay term. there are other similar online purchasing sites, but not as popular.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Taobao isn't actually an auction service. All items on there are buy-it-now, if we use the eBay term. there are other similar online purchasing sites, but not as popular.
Thank you for your correction. You are right. :-[

Actually I tried Taobao few times and got worse experiences. Some sellers listed the items they didn't have and that wasted me much time to communicate and figure it out.

BTW, I found another 2 auctions here, the price for a GOLD deck is 499:

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21101113233233
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21012151394661

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you for your correction. You are right. :-[

Actually I tried Taobao few times and got worse experiences. Some sellers listed the items they didn't have and that wasted me much time to communicate and figure it out.

BTW, I found another 2 auctions here, the price for a GOLD deck is 499:

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21101113233233
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21012151394661

Even with Google Translate, it's not easy to understand...

I'm putting my faith in Krystle's deck-hunting skills!

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
Would you guys say $23 for a sealed deck of the gold ones is too much? Cheers
UC

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I just provided a "Plan-B" in case they are not available in China. I am not the seller and as I said earlier on UC that I won't buy items for anyone. Of course I hope Krystle will find the decks directly.

@VortexHead, 499 NTD is approx. $17 USD.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I just provided a "Plan-B" in case they are not available in China. I am not the seller and as I said earlier on UC that I won't buy items for anyone. Of course I hope Krystle will find the decks directly.

@VortexHead, 499 NTD is approx. $17 USD.

Okay, thanks digipunk, I'll probbaly leave them for now, it's a bit pricey I guess.
UC

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 04:26:10 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
considering they were sold for 80RMB (approximately $12.5USD) when it was released during the Olympics, i don't think $17 is too bad. it's not being printed anymore, and it's a souvenir type playing card. souvenirs always end up at the higher end of the price spectrum.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Would you guys say $23 for a sealed deck of the gold ones is too much? Cheers

Four-year-old deck, limited edition, printed in a foreign country for sale there, very interesting design...

I'd say I'd pay that, so no, not too much.  Just watch the shipping charges.

considering they were sold for 80RMB (approximately $12.5USD) when it was released during the Olympics, i don't think $17 is too bad. it's not being printed anymore, and it's a souvenir type playing card. souvenirs always end up at the higher end of the price spectrum.

Souvenir decks on the high end?  Maybe vintage ones.  None of the top five most expensive deck talked about here are souvenir decks.  Most souvenir decks are cheaply made and poor quality.  I guarantee you that a sealed New Fan Back in white would fetch more than a sealed "Welcome to Hoboken" deck...

Having said all that, an Olympic souvenir deck, well-made, can fetch a premium.  But that has more to do with the manufacturer and limited nature of the deck than the fact that it's a souvenir deck.  The most valued souvenir decks around are mostly USPC-made: stuff like the '84 and '96 Olympics decks, the Air Force One decks, the 2009 Bike Messenger deck, the Hanshin Tigers deck, the Yomiuri Giants decks, the Harry Potter Japanese deck, Original Fake, Clot Limited Editions, etc. - the list goes on, but the common factor is "made by USPC".  That makes the difference.

These gold and silver decks look mighty cool, and I think they're plastic - are they, Krystle?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:40:11 AM by Don Boyer, TAFKA Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
They feel plastic-ky and foil-ish too. ^-^. I bought them for cheap back then. which was why i bought 4 decks. 2 gold poker size, 1 silver pokersize and 1 silver bridge. But yeah I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the olympic flagship store still has it.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Souvenir decks on the high end?  Maybe vintage ones.  None of the top five most expensive deck talked about here are souvenir decks.  Most souvenir decks are cheaply made and poor quality.  I guarantee you that a sealed New Fan Back in white would fetch more than a sealed "Welcome to Hoboken" deck...

Having said all that, an Olympic souvenir deck, well-made, can fetch a premium.  But that has more to do with the manufacturer and limited nature of the deck than the fact that it's a souvenir deck.  The most valued souvenir decks around are mostly USPC-made: stuff like the '84 and '96 Olympics decks, the Air Force One decks, the 2009 Bike Messenger deck, the Hanshin Tigers deck, the Yomiuri Giants decks, the Harry Potter Japanese deck, Original Fake, Clot Limited Editions, etc. - the list goes on, but the common factor is "made by USPC".  That makes the difference.

It's true that USPCC makes the difference. But what I'm saying is that souvenirs usually cost more than the product if it was to be sold in a regular store, simply because they've got the logo on it.

The "top five most expensive decks" you mentioned are at their price because of the companies' marketing strategies, rarity of the deck, and the printing process and finishing of the deck (including printing fees, manufacturer, stock used, etc.).

What I'm talking about here are the regular, common playing cards, not the fancy ones we as collectors, magicians or flourishers use. They're meant for the common public so they shouldn't cost as much. However they would still cost more than the Bicycle/Bee/Tally-Ho amongst the Western community, and the 3A's in China.

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I don't like and don't want the GOLD/SILVER Beijing Olympic decks, but I think they should be more valuable than some ugly decks such as the Clot Limited Edition (I even don't understand why people are willing to pay $35-50 for it)... ???

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
I don't like and don't want the GOLD/SILVER Beijing Olympic decks, but I think they should be more valuable than some ugly decks such as the Clot Limited Edition (I even don't understand why people are willing to pay $35-50 for it)... ???
i personally like the bicycle clot deck alot .. some poeple have their own thinking so that might want the cloth deck and that deck is also limited edition

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
i personally like the bicycle clot deck alot .. some poeple have their own thinking so that might want the cloth deck and that deck is also limited edition
Sorry, I know what I said was very subjective. In fact the Clot decks are sold for 400 NTD (about $13.4 USD) a deck on Taiwan auctions, but I just don't like them even though I can get them with a much cheaper price.

As for the GOLD 2008 Olympics Decks, are they worth $17 per deck? I think they are. The 2008 summer Olympics was held in Beijing, there was no reason to have them produced by USPC. These decks were produced and released officially by the host country. 499 NTD or 800 NTD is not a problem if I want to add them to my collection.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:44:04 PM by Curt »

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's true that USPCC makes the difference. But what I'm saying is that souvenirs usually cost more than the product if it was to be sold in a regular store, simply because they've got the logo on it.

The "top five most expensive decks" you mentioned are at their price because of the companies' marketing strategies, rarity of the deck, and the printing process and finishing of the deck (including printing fees, manufacturer, stock used, etc.).

What I'm talking about here are the regular, common playing cards, not the fancy ones we as collectors, magicians or flourishers use. They're meant for the common public so they shouldn't cost as much. However they would still cost more than the Bicycle/Bee/Tally-Ho amongst the Western community, and the 3A's in China.

It really depends on the deck.  There are really poorly-made souvenir decks, bad in every way, then there are more artistic decks with some level of customization, and there are also decks that were designed to be more "playable" in terms of production values.

Most souvenir decks fall in the category of "poorly made, bad in every way."  A picture back, zero customization on the faces, cheap stock, no real finish to speak of.  Do they retail for more than a deck of Bikes?  Maybe.  Are they worth more than a deck of Bikes.  Hell, no.  The only collector that would pay a premium for them would be a souvenir collector, not a card collector.

The Beijing '08 Olympic decks appear to have greater customization and production values.  Those a deck collector WOULD pay more for, especially one who wasn't in Beijing in '08 and didn't have a chance to buy them at original retail.

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I'm tempted by these, I know someone in the uk who has one available for £15/$23, it's a little pricey though, I'll probably end up passing on them just because I cant afford to spend the money right now.
UC

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 06:37:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm tempted by these, I know someone in the uk who has one available for £15/$23, it's a little pricey though, I'll probably end up passing on them just because I cant afford to spend the money right now.

Dude, it's a reasonable price.

If you're passing, you should post the link and share the knowledge!

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran

Dude, it's a reasonable price.

If you're passing, you should post the link and share the knowledge!

There's no link, I just contacted a seller on ebay who sold one late January on the off chance he would have another and he does, I could post a link to his page I guess but maybe it's best to send me a pm if your interested and I'll pass on his info, if you just want the link to his ebay page here the I can do that but there will be nothing to see?
UC

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 06:50:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm holding out for what Krystle finds in Beijing.

The Clot Ltd. Editions are sought after here because they're nearly impossible to get here.  I managed to buy them at retail, and the shipping was high - they threw in an extra deck which helped to offset the expense a bit.  Also, some really like the "faceless" court card designs.

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

The Clot Ltd. Editions are sought after here because they're nearly impossible to get here.  I managed to buy them at retail, and the shipping was high - they threw in an extra deck which helped to offset the expense a bit.  Also, some really like the "faceless" court card designs.

How did u get them to throw in an extra deck??

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

How did u get them to throw in an extra deck??

By doing nothing.  They did it of their own accord.  Another US resident here who ordered them from the source as I did got an extra deck as well.

Good customer service.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:09:39 AM by Don Boyer, TAFKA Good@Sabacc »