You are Here:
NYCC Kind Of Sort Of

Author (Read 695 times)

NYCC Kind Of Sort Of
« on: November 15, 2022, 10:39:14 AM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
This posting is an attempt at clarifying some of the numbers that often appear on various Aces of Spades among the many brands issued by NYCC. I found this information in a couple of mint decks that still contained the accompanying slips of paper inserted into their respective boxes. This represented one of the ways in which NYCC tried to improve their customer service and guarantee satisfaction.
The first two photographs show the front and back of one of these slips that indicate which sorter at the factory assembled the deck and placed it in it's OB. You will note the numbers "9" on the front and the stamped number "84" on the back. This slip was inserted into a NYCC deck with their celebrated Angel back and a tax stamp dated 1899 so this was the practice at around that time.
The third photograph shows a slip of paper that was inserted into a deck of Triton brand playing cards. Although the tax stamp for this deck is intact, the red cancellation is indistinct and so I cannot identify the date which would tell us when NYCC instituted this new practice of identifying which sorter handled any given deck.
The fourth picture shows the Ace of Spades where we can see the stamped numbers "5 8 4" in the lower right hand corner representing the new way of identifying which sorter handled this deck. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine the significance, if any, of the printed number "713" at the base of this card.
The fifth picture shows the wonderful back design for this deck entitled "Flower Dance" which shows a performer adorned in what appears to be colorful Japanese attire compete with handfuls, and a hat full, of flowers. If anyone can determine when this design was issued then we can determine the circa date when NYCC changed their method of identifying which sorter handled which deck and what measures would have been called for when the incorrect deck was returned to them for replacement.

Re: NYCC Kind Of Sort Of
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 12:42:34 AM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I was hoping to help here, but I am afraid I have little to add.  Of my 5 NYCCCo Triton pictorial decks only the "Dutch Girl" back carries this second set of sorter numbers.  While the tax stamps on all my slip cases are present, the cancellation dates are not readily discernible.
Matt Schacht

Re: NYCC Kind Of Sort Of
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 10:39:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This posting is an attempt at clarifying some of the numbers that often appear on various Aces of Spades among the many brands issued by NYCC. I found this information in a couple of mint decks that still contained the accompanying slips of paper inserted into their respective boxes. This represented one of the ways in which NYCC tried to improve their customer service and guarantee satisfaction.
The first two photographs show the front and back of one of these slips that indicate which sorter at the factory assembled the deck and placed it in it's OB. You will note the numbers "9" on the front and the stamped number "84" on the back. This slip was inserted into a NYCC deck with their celebrated Angel back and a tax stamp dated 1899 so this was the practice at around that time.
The third photograph shows a slip of paper that was inserted into a deck of Triton brand playing cards. Although the tax stamp for this deck is intact, the red cancellation is indistinct and so I cannot identify the date which would tell us when NYCC instituted this new practice of identifying which sorter handled any given deck.
The fourth picture shows the Ace of Spades where we can see the stamped numbers "5 8 4" in the lower right hand corner representing the new way of identifying which sorter handled this deck. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine the significance, if any, of the printed number "713" at the base of this card.
The fifth picture shows the wonderful back design for this deck entitled "Flower Dance" which shows a performer adorned in what appears to be colorful Japanese attire compete with handfuls, and a hat full, of flowers. If anyone can determine when this design was issued then we can determine the circa date when NYCC changed their method of identifying which sorter handled which deck and what measures would have been called for when the incorrect deck was returned to them for replacement.

Well, I don't have info on the age of the deck or the date when they instituted the new system for IDing sorters, but I have a few educated guesses for you.

The slip with the #9 on the front - that's the sorter, right?  The #84 on the back?  This might be a supervisor's or inspector's number, someone who was "next in line" in the chain of custody of the deck before it got sealed away in the box.

The Ace with the new inspector code - you're wondering about the small three-digit number that's printed on the card - as in printed when the card was made, rather than stamped on after manufacture, like the inspector code.  It's probably as simple as a production code, similar to what USPC eventually started using on their Aces of Spades to identify their print runs.  You'd know the production code at the time the project was going to press, so you could include it on the printing plates, but you really can't say who's going to sort it until it's being sorted.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/