You are Here:
Hochman NY27aa American Manufacture Ace of Spades New Variation

Author (Read 3349 times)

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Once again, I am taking the liberty of assigning a new reference number to a deck that features what I believe to be a previously unknown variation of the Ace of Spades. Despite the obvious differences, this "new" deck seems to be a variation of the NY27a listing found in Chapter 5 of the Hochman Encyclopedia concerning The New York Consolidated Card Company. This deck must also date from around 1849 as it, too, has Philadelphia printed at the bottom of the card and "American Manufacture" printed in the ribbon, although each in a different typeface. There is also no mention of New York or the Samuel Hart name on this second generic Ace of Spades. The other differences between NY27a and my proposed NY27aa are 15 stars versus 13 stars with different style rays (similar to the treatment found on the Ace of Spades for NY30) and "Phila. Card Manufactory" versus "Philada. Card Manufactory" placed differently around the central spade pip. The encyclopedia states that NY27a came with the familiar Hart Faro courts which are identical to NY27 but this deck comes with the unusual one way courts found in the Charles Bartlet U14 deck and the Samuel Hart NY24 deck. The second photo shows the back design which is a green diamond plaid.