You are Here:
Bee "92" Unique Back

Author (Read 5806 times)

Bee "92" Unique Back
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:28:13 PM »

JSchmidt

• Newcomer
I bought this deck of Bee 92 Playing cards the other day and they have a back design I have not seen before. The cards were in a old Mohawk playing card box that had a one cent tax stamp. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of back design this is and how old these cards might be.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:28:41 PM by JSchmidt »

Re: Bee "92" Unique Back
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I bought this deck of Bee 92 Playing cards the other day and they have a back design I have not seen before. The cards were in a old Mohawk playing card box that had a one cent tax stamp. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of back design this is and how old these cards might be.

Hello,

Your tax stamp doesn't say "1 Cent" - it says "1 Pack."  This type of stamp was in use starting in 1940 and ending when the Federal tax on playing cards was abolished in 1965.

The manufacturing codes beginning with "E," such as the one on your Ace of Spades, were used only twice during that time period - 1943 and 1963.  (Letters were, and still are, changed yearly, and not always in a straightforward, alphabetical pattern.)

It's not surprising to find decks other than "Mohawk" in the Mohawk tuck box - Mohawk was one of the "catch-all" brands used by USPC to get rid of old stock, things they didn't have appropriate boxes for, off-brands that were discontinued, etc.; two other such brands I personally know of are Caravan and Torpedo.  In this case, it's likely that the pattern was discontinued and they simply ran out of Bee boxes with the pattern printed on the box back.  Just on a guess, I'd say this would have been more likely to occur in 1963 than in 1943, but I can't say that with any certainty.

Could you show us some clearer pictures of the box and the ad cards?  They may help with the dating process.  While even the modern, current-issue Bee decks have "Consolidated-Dougherty" printed on the Ace of Spades, a 1943 box would list Consolidated-Dougherty as the manufacturer, and it would likely have a "C-D Co." rubber-stamped on the tax stamp to cancel it.  A deck from 1963, on the other hand, would very possibly list the US Playing Card Company as the manufacturer, and the rubber-stamping to cancel the deck would read almost certainly read either "USPCC" or "USPC Co.," both of which being older abbreviations of USPC.

The reason for this is that Consolidated-Dougherty was created when USPC took two independent companies it owned, the New York Consolidated Card Co. and A. Dougherty & Co., and combined them in 1930 - but by 1962, the company was disbanded by USPC, effectively being absorbed into the parent company, and the C-D brands started being made as USPC brands.  Now, the company might have still had some old C-D boxes lying around in 1963, preferring to use them up rather than destroying them before replacing them with the new boxes listing USPC as the maker, but even if this was the case, they would very likely have been using the USPC rubber stamp to cancel the tax stamps by then.

Look at this page for some examples of tax stamps and their rubber-stamped cancellations:
http://www.cypressfilms.com/bicycle/uspc_dates/uspc_dating_codes.html

The back design I think is called "Worm Back" - it was produced a few times in a few different color combinations as well as with some variations by the Conjuring Arts Research Center for their series of Bee Erdnase decks they printed with USPC.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »

JSchmidt

• Newcomer
This info is very helpful. I wasn't sure if the previous owner just put these card in a different box or if they came as a mix match of cards and box brand. Here are some more  pictures. There wasn't an ad card.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 08:27:38 AM »

JSchmidt

• Newcomer
Sorry, one more picture.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This info is very helpful. I wasn't sure if the previous owner just put these card in a different box or if they came as a mix match of cards and box brand. Here are some more  pictures. There wasn't an ad card.

I''m starting to think that might have been the case here - mix and match.  The box states NY Consoliated, but they ceased to exist as an independent company in 1930.  Did USPC keep using the name after making C-D?  I don't know, but I'm inclined to say no, because otherwise, why combine the two companies?  The deck, however...  It's a Bee deck, which these days is considered at least a little premium and sells for slightly more than Bicycles.  Brands like Mohawk were often used to sell lesser brands, leftover decks, etc.

Seems almost like there's more questions than answers about this deck!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »

Worldvision620

• Newcomer
Beautiful deck of cards !! Really appreciate the post and the history!!!