Kalevala Playing Cards - Coming soon

Author (Read 1650 times)

Kalevala Playing Cards - Coming soon
« on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:06 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Kalevala Playing Cards based on the Finnish national epic - Coming Soon.

Completely hand-drawn and a somewhat different direction as compared to the previous works by GPCC.

Thanks to Räpylätassu for his expert advice and inputs. I don't think it would have been made possible without his prompt inputs. Lots of research and study went into this with most work taken out of the hindi translation of the epic poem by Vishnu Khare an Indian Hindi poet & translator.

You will find numerous translations of the epic in English and other languages but Khare was awarded Order of the White Rose of Finland for his Hindi translation of the national epic of Finland, Kalevala so this is one of the best ever translations done on the epic. Still, Räpylätassu's inputs were far more valuable because of his knowledge of the epic.

Printers being evaluated but most likely it is going to be USPCC this time.

Back design:

How likely can USPCC do a full bleed back with good registration? I've asked them and awaiting their reply.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:47:07 AM by leangyan »

Re: Kalevala Playing Cards - Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 06:08:10 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Received the prototype deck today. This is the first time I've used Shuffled Ink in US to get a prototype printed and they did a good job.

Thanks Will Roya for recommending their name.

I made a quick n short videos showing the courts, Jokers, AoS and card back. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls-3-a5zTco

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:25:28 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Launching tomorrow - Saturday 4th August @ 11 PM AEST (UTC -10)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:27:10 AM by leangyan »

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Hi All -
Quick update. It is live on Kickstarter now. Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunishchabba/kalevala-playing-cards

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:24:49 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Booklet (24-28 pages) & sword tie clip announced as the stretch goal.

Once the stretch goal is reached, every backer will receive the booklet as part of their reward automatically. Apart from the character details, inspiration etc., the booklet will have the name of all the backers who supported Kalevala on Kickstarter.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Exclusive & complimentary Kalevala booklet available now for all Kickstarter backers. It is free and will be part of the reward package. This booklet will have the inspiration, early sketches, character description & names of all the backers who supported this Kickstarter project and will be sized around  63 X 88 mm with 20-26 pages in total.

This booklet will not be available post Kickstarter or in any retail store and is exclusively for Kickstarter backers only. I could not have done this without you and your name needs to be part of the product somewhere. The extra expenses of printing the booklet will be paid from my own pocket & every pledge will automatically receive a booklet as part of their reward package.

Check the latest update to know more:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunishchabba/kalevala-playing-cards/posts/2263984

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Celebrating the Kalevala Kickstarter campaign with this giveaway offered exclusively to all Kickstarter backers.

More details here and on Instagram.

https://www.facebook.com/guruplayingcards/photos/a.728396697263150/1417741261662020/?type=3&theater

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm7ZxKAFOMQ/?taken-by=guruplayingcards

Winner will be announced on Sept 17th and I anticipate the prize to be shipped from US by Oct or Nov'18.

There are some conditions to be fulfilled and so every backer needs to do their bit to make sure more and more people come to know about this Kickstarter campaign.

I use this and similar random name picker tools for the giveaway and made it transparent in my last giveaways.

https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/.

Both the damascus dagger and limited edition deck are exquisite works of art, you can only experience them, no picture will be able to do justice to them.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:40:25 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Received the prototype deck today. This is the first time I've used Shuffled Ink in US to get a prototype printed and they did a good job.

I realize this is an older thread, but it was one of the few I could find that mentioned Shuffled Ink.  I'd like to hear more about your experience with them, since most people seem to only use MPC.

My own experience with Shuffled Ink was very positive and the quality of the cards was very comparable to MPC's decks.  See my thread here for full details and pictures (Getting your own deck printed by Shuffled Ink - a review). 

But I don't hear much about them, and most people don't seem to be familiar with Shuffled Ink as a possible alternative to MPC.  How did your experience compare with doing prototype decks with MPC?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:10:31 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:

I realize this is an older thread, but it was one of the few I could find that mentioned Shuffled Ink.  I'd like to hear more about your experience with them, since most people seem to only use MPC.

My own experience with Shuffled Ink was very positive and the quality of the cards was very comparable to MPC's decks.  See my thread here for full details and pictures (Getting your own deck printed by Shuffled Ink - a review). 

But I don't hear much about them, and most people don't seem to be familiar with Shuffled Ink as a possible alternative to MPC.  How did your experience compare with doing prototype decks with MPC?

Very good experience as such. MPC - you have to use their online card builder, and they do not entertain any deviation in terms of the templates. Shuffled Ink modified the files on their own to fit their template and updated me on the progress. They are a family business I believe, based out of Florida, US and so, US creators will benefit more by using them in terms of speed of delivery.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 06:40:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Very good experience as such. MPC - you have to use their online card builder, and they do not entertain any deviation in terms of the templates. Shuffled Ink modified the files on their own to fit their template and updated me on the progress. They are a family business I believe, based out of Florida, US and so, US creators will benefit more by using them in terms of speed of delivery.

I knew a Kickstarter creator who made a hanafuda deck and had them print it.  She was so dissatisfied with the work, she switched printers.  Maybe they've improved, but that's what happened to her and not that long ago.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 06:43:57 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
I knew a Kickstarter creator who made a hanafuda deck and had them print it.  She was so dissatisfied with the work, she switched printers.  Maybe they've improved, but that's what happened to her and not that long ago.

Are you talking about MPC or Shuffled Ink?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:44:10 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 09:46:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Are you talking about MPC or Shuffled Ink?

Sorry - Shuffled.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/