You are Here:
Do you like beer?

Author (Read 11608 times)

Do you like beer?
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I had my 1st beer today, even though I am not legal for 10 months, I did not really enjoy it. It was a summer shady and I enjoyed the lemonade part but I felt the beet taste was over bearing. It tasted familiar but I have never drank before, anything not beer that taste like beer?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Do you like beer?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So I had my 1st beer today, even though I am not legal for 10 months, I did not really enjoy it. It was a summer shady and I enjoyed the lemonade part but I felt the beet taste was over bearing. It tasted familiar but I have never drank before, anything not beer that taste like beer?

OK, first things first: a summer shandy is NOT a beer.  It has beer in it and comes in a bottle, but that's where the similarity ends.  :))

To the uninitiated, beer can taste pretty bad, especially if it's some cheap, mass-produced swill of a lager.  Try starting off more slowly with alcoholic beverages in general.  Try a hard lemonade or a hard cider.  The cider is all apple juice but hard lemonade is made with malt liquor.  By itself, malt liquor is terrible unless your sole goal is to get shit-faced fast, but cut with lemonade it can be very tasty.  Plus it's not as candy-sweet as a shandy.

After that, try a lambic ale.  Ale tends to be stronger than lager, but lambic ales are easy on the palate - they're made with fruits in the mix to give them a really nice flavor.  I've seen raspberry and peach myself and I know there are other varieties (when I drank, though, I didn't usually have more than a sip because I'm not big on fruits for some reason).  Lambic ale makes a good transition from simple alcoholic beverages to great beers.

By this time, you're ready for some real lagers and ales.  I could recommend a raft of such beers!  A good one for this time of year would be Bohemia Lager from Mexico.  Pronounced "bow-HEM-ee-ah," it's an awesome summer beer for its light but rich flavor - it's actually thirst-quenching rather than dehydrating like most alcohol.

Oh, and yes, you MUST drink a lot of water when drinking beers.  Hangovers are largely from impurities in the alcohol (beer is NOT pure alcohol, shandies even less so) and the dehydration from the alcohol.  Have a beer, have an equal amount of water before the next beer - you'll have a much stronger chance of not getting seriously hung over.  It also helps you enjoy the beer more, clearing out your palate so you can actually taste it; once you're inebriated, you won't notice flavor quite so much, so a cheap-ass lager or a fine, aged ale or stout would make little difference to your tongue.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:09:57 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hi! Welcome to drinking 101. I'll be your guide in this mysterious new world of getting wasted.

Mixed Drinks: Can taste absolutely fucking delicious, and some can get you drunk very quickly. However, they're pricey, take a while to make, and you won't find them in a grocery store.

Wine: Everyone's taste on this varies. Find out what you like, and drink it at classy social gatherings or with dinner. Some cheap wine can be great, some expensive wine can taste like dicks.

Beer: The man's drink. Unfortunately, to many people, it tastes like vomit. If it tastes "familiar" to you it is because you're tasting fermentation, AKA yeast. Great for relaxed gatherings, parties, etc. Terrible for getting drunk off of, and also leaves you with a bad case of gas.

Hard Liquor: Shots! Don't be a pussy and try some hard liquor. The taste is very bad at first, but the more you drink, the more used to the taste of alcohol you get. Likewise, the more drunk you are, the less you can taste the alcohol. Good liquor can have a very enjoyable taste, but that being said I still thought I was drinking Sharpie ink the first time I tried bourbon.

Malt Liquor: Stick to this if you don't like the taste of alcohol at all.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Don't like beer at all.
I'll take a vodka and cranberry.
Don't buy cheap vodka. It's harsh.  Goose is good, but I refuse to buy french liquor.
Belvedere is expensive, buy you only need a few to feel pretty good. :P
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
*insert I remember my first beer joke*

JK,

Anyway, here in British Columbia the legal age for consuming alcohol is 19 and a lot of families I know are fairly lenient with that, so drinking usually starts early high school around age 16/17. I know some may debate that as being harmful, but that is not what this topic is about. When I started to drink beer around the age of 16, I didn't mind the taste, but it was not what I would call refreshing. Now, 5 years later and many.....many beers later I find beer quite enjoyable to drink. Some members of my extended family are quite into beer, so they always have craft beer of some sort that range greatly in body and flavour.

After tasting and getting accustomed to beer that has a more pronounced flavour and a higher alcohol content (10-15% instead of ~5%), I tend to dislike many of the lighter beers because they lack complexity. Saying that, If I am going to a party or consuming more beer than just a casual one with some friends, I always will choose something light because it is far easier to drink larger amounts of.

I 100% concur with Don mentioning how important water is to drink when consuming alcohol, I usually will drink 1 bottle of water for every beer I have, if I am "going hard" that night. That may be a bit overkill but I absolutely hate feeling like death in the morning and wasting a day recovering. If you choose to drink mixed drink, or drinks with a high sugar content, they may taste better but can lead to worse hangovers with the sugar content.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:05:39 PM by Curt »

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I don't know what any of these people said because I don't read Talk Park threads buuuuuut....

Beer, eh depends on what kind of beer, most taste like piss, some microbrews are enjoyable
Shots depending on the quality of liquor can actually be good. aka dont fuck with popov you cheap bastard
Mixed Drinks. Can get expensive if you're going out but are damn tastey! Also most likely for you to gain weight, just throwing it out there if that is a concern of yours
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I like beer and I love my rum. But never ever mix vodka and coke/juice/anything sweet as you 'may' forget what you're drinking has alcohol in it, and after too many drinks will projectile vomit...  :karrit:

If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I like beer and I love my rum. But never ever mix vodka and coke/juice/anything sweet as you 'may' forget what you're drinking has alcohol in it, and after too many drinks will projectile vomit...  :karrit:

I can't see drinking Vodka with out a mixer. It needs something to add flavor. The key is not to drink too many, and as many have pointed out- drink water.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So tonight I decided to make a jack and coke with no idea how to. I think it was maybe a 60/40 mix. It was quite the shock with the 1st sip. Diluted it with more coke in another glass and was able to drink the one I had. Once the buzz started to kick in I put the rest in a jar for later. I need to use an oven and don't want to be drunk. Hopefully its still good in a few days on my next night off. What are your guys 1st time drinking stories?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So tonight I decided to make a jack and coke with no idea how to. I think it was maybe a 60/40 mix. It was quite the shock with the 1st sip. Diluted it with more coke in another glass and was able to drink the one I had. Once the buzz started to kick in I put the rest in a jar for later. I need to use an oven and don't want to be drunk. Hopefully its still good in a few days on my next night off. What are your guys 1st time drinking stories?

If the Jack & Coke is already mixed- it won't be good later. Invest in a shot glass or jigger. Use it to measure for your mixed drinks. That way you don't over pour. That will also help you adjust your ratio to what you like taste wise. Keep in mind different liquors have different alcohol levels. Typically rum is less than vodka or whiskey. Think about how you want your drinking night to go. If you just want to chill with some friends, and have 4-5 drinks- go with the lighter stuff. Remember most people are fun when they have a nice buzz going. Drunks just turn into assholes.

The story
I'm not a huge drinker. I actually did not get drunk for the first time until I was 21. One night I decided to get drunk just to do it. It was late, so no liquor stores were open. My buddy had about a 1/2 pint of Southern Comfort, and about the same of Wild Turkey. My buddy drove, and I drank from the bottles until they were gone. I didn't feel drunk. When I jumped out of the car to piss. Down I went.
Ah memories.

Edit- Of course this advice is for when you are legal. I would never condone underage drinking ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:52:50 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
This was my 1st time, and technically I am only 20, so not exactly legal...

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

I can't see drinking Vodka with out a mixer. It needs something to add flavor. The key is not to drink too many, and as many have pointed out- drink water.

I like the lack of flavor in Vodka! Then again, I am Russian, and I was accustomed to it from the age of 7 when I was first allowed to try it.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

For any "shot-and-a-mixer" drink, typically served in a rocks glass with ice, the rule of thumb is to fill the rocks glass with ice, pour a shot and add the mixer, aiming for about a 50/50 mix between the two.

And no, flat soda mixed with Jack Daniels won't be all that tasty days later...

If the Jack & Coke is already mixed- it won't be good later. Invest in a shot glass or jigger. Use it to measure for your mixed drinks. That way you don't over pour. That will also help you adjust your ratio to what you like taste wise. Keep in mind different liquors have different alcohol levels. Typically rum is less than vodka or whiskey. Think about how you want your drinking night to go. If you just want to chill with some friends, and have 4-5 drinks- go with the lighter stuff. Remember most people are fun when they have a nice buzz going. Drunks just turn into assholes.

Measuring mixed drinks is good - I was professionally trained as a bartender and we all started using a jigger, the best being (in ounces) 1 by 1.5.  One ounce on the small side, an ounce-and-a-half on the big side.  That's for a house where an ounce is the house shot - typical of many joints.  Some go smaller, some go bigger.  The jigger is invaluable in making the "make-or-break" drinks - drinks that have to be made perfectly due to there being very little mixer in them to disguise mistakes.

The alcohol levels of the vast majority of liquors (not liqueurs) sold in the US are 86 proof.  Divide the proof number in half to get the percentage of alcohol by volume, so 86 proof = 43% alcohol by volume.  This came about with government regulation of the manufacture of alcohol following prohibition - you rarely see "bonded whisky" these days, but "bonded" meant it was made under direct government supervision.  The Feds did this because during Prohibition there was a LOT of skanky stuff out there being passed off as liquor, some of which being dangerous if not deadly.

But back to my point - most booze is 86 proof.  Jack Daniel's makes a green-labeled 80 proof whisky (it's a bit smoother, actually rather tasty).  Southern Comfort comes in a 101 proof variety as well as 86.  Some rum brands make a "151" version, 151 proof (and highly flammable).  Everclear is 190 proof, the next best thing to pure alcohol - you should never drink this stuff straight unless you really, really don't like yourself much.  Beyond these and a few other variations, the rest is 86 proof.  Alcohol recipes are made based on the liquor being of a consistent strength and the bar and restaurant industries depend on this as a measure of knowing just how much alcohol a patron has in their system.

Rum will TASTE like it's lower in alcohol because it's sweeter - most rums are made of sugar.  Vodka can be harsh because you taste the alcohol more.  Whiskies like Scotch are harsher to new drinkers because of the peat smoke flavor - peat fires are used to dry the grain and the smell becomes part of the finished product.  Bourbons (including "Kentucky whisky") have a taste more like perfume - this comes from the barrels.  Bourbon is aged in fresh barrels that have been charred on the inside to impart some of the carbon and the sap into the whisky - it gives bourbon a distinct flavor, and many liquor companies will actually buy used bourbon barrels for aging other liquors because of the flavors imparted into them by the bourbon aging process.  It's kinda strange, but good-condition used aging barrels will fetch a good price.

Yeah, I'm a mother-ef'in' encyclopedia...

This is my own recipe for a drink that will keep the night going very nicely with a minimum of casualties.  Women will like it more than men, but the formula is adjustable for men's palates.

The Poolside
Fill a tall (or Collins) glass with ice to the top
1 ounce Malibu rum liqueur
1/2 ounce Amaretto Di Saronno
Fill to the top with orange juice
Garnish with an orange slice

For added flavor, leave room to dribble (pour slowly and in a small amount) some peach schnapps over the top.

For a more Caribbean flavor, substitute mango juice for orange juice.

For just a little more kick (more of a love tap, really), substitute Malibu Black (70 proof) for Malibu (42 proof).

For a different flavor that's less sweet, "come to the Dockside..."

The Dockside
Fill a tall (or Collins) glass with ice to the top.
1 ounce spiced rum - my preference is hard to get: Conch Republic Spiced Rum with 24k gold flakes.  It's only sold in Key West, FL.  Captain Morgan's will do fine.
1 or 2 "spits" Amaretto Di Saronno
Fill to halfway with club soda
Fill to top with orange juice (or citrus juice[-s] of choice)
Squeeze a lime wedge over it and toss it in (optional)

A "spit" is when you use a bartender's spigot on the bottle, cover the air hole in the back and just turn over and return the bottle quickly, releasing about the amount of liquid one would when spitting.

For a little more kick, just a little dribble of overproof rum on top, such as Bacardi 151.

The drink has a great flavor to it but it's not knock-you-on-your-ass strong.  You could have a few of these over the course of an evening and keep a mellow buzz on without going over the top, unless you chug these like shooters.  Even then, there's so much mixer in there, you're likely to fill up your stomach before you have enough alcohol to do any real damage.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The coke was not flat, I put it in a jar with a lid. and so I have been up for a little over 2 hours and I already mixed some of it with more coke and am drinking it. I becoming one of those guys who drink in the morning  :-[ :mindf-ck: :t11: :karrit: 8) :(

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:17 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Basically gone through a 2 litter of coke in one day, I never drink soda. :( I need to not do mixed drinks anymore. :( Also gone through most my bottle of jack tonight. It had a few oz gone already and has maybe 3 left, man this stuff is not cheap. I will not be doing this for a while. Partially because the only person willing to buy me some has left the state. :(

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Basically gone through a 2 litter of coke in one day, I never drink soda. :( I need to not do mixed drinks anymore. :( Also gone through most my bottle of jack tonight. It had a few oz gone already and has maybe 3 left, man this stuff is not cheap. I will not be doing this for a while. Partially because the only person willing to buy me some has left the state. :(
Wow! slow down a little. A few tips-
Don't drink alone. We all want to see you make an ass of yourself getting drunk.
If you want to drink cheap- learn to like beer- cheap beer.
Try some other liquors- decent Rum is not that expensive. Some Vodkas like Absolut and Sky are pretty good, and not hard on the pocket.
One of my go to drinks is a Malibu & Coke. Malibu is a coconut rum liqueur. I think it is only 21% alcohol, so you can drink 4-5 over a couple hours, and not be hammered. You can get a fifth for around $15

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:28:39 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
When is it acceptable to drink alone?

You can drink hard alcohol now and then after a particularly terrible or amazing day. If you feel anything more than a slight buzz from what you drink, you've drank to much.

You can also drink a beer with your lunch/dinner. That means two beers a day at the most if you're alone.

Making yourself mixed drinks is acceptable if you are a bartender and you need to learn to make a new drink, or if you are entertaining for guests soon and you want to serve them a kickass cocktail.

Here's a good tip. If you have to ask yourself if it's weird/sad that you're drinking what you're drinking alone, you shouldn't be drinking that.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am drunk. I am underage so drinking with others is somewhat hard to do. I was still fine after all the jack and coke. Did not start feelig drunk till I was drinking a couple beers. I work night shift, my friends wrok on my nighst off. I enjoyed the drinks, and this feels really weird. It was a small bottle like 375ml I am saving some. I had some of my pre mixed re mixed with more coke earlier today, just to drink and now drank the rest of what I said I went through. I feel this was a good night though no driving I can barely type

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:41:34 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

I like high-end beer. I hate cheep beer. I'm a liquor snob. I admit it. I really like George Dickel No.12 Whiskey. For Vodka, Chopin is my choice. I like good old Bombay Sapphire gin. Schnapps can go either way with me. I like good wines and champagnes. However, for those looking for a particularly potent mix, try Horilka. It's a spirit we have back in the Ukraine (where my family originates) and it will absolutely kick your ass if you are accustomed to the Western palette. It is essentially Vodka, but made with mineral water so it has a slightly oily texture and mineral water-like taste. It is traditionally flavored with a mixture of honey and cayenne pepper IN THE BOTTLE so that the entire drink absorbs ALL of the heat and sweet over time. Oh, by the way I've never seen it lower than 120 proof. Nemiroff is my preferred brand for this. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:43:42 AM by Maskedfreakinabox »

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I am drunk. I am underage so drinking with others is somewhat hard to do. I was still fine after all the jack and coke. Did not start feelig drunk till I was drinking a couple beers. I work night shift, my friends wrok on my nighst off. I enjoyed the drinks, and this feels really weird. It was a small bottle like 375ml I am saving some. I had some of my pre mixed re mixed with more coke earlier today, just to drink and now drank the rest of what I said I went through. I feel this was a good night though no driving I can barely type

John B.
Did you make it through the night without puking your guts out?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I was fine. Went to bed around an hour and half after my last drink, woke up, worked out and then went to church. No hangover or anything.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
When is it acceptable to drink alone?

You can drink hard alcohol now and then after a particularly terrible or amazing day. If you feel anything more than a slight buzz from what you drink, you've drank to much.

You can also drink a beer with your lunch/dinner. That means two beers a day at the most if you're alone.

Making yourself mixed drinks is acceptable if you are a bartender and you need to learn to make a new drink, or if you are entertaining for guests soon and you want to serve them a kickass cocktail.

Here's a good tip. If you have to ask yourself if it's weird/sad that you're drinking what you're drinking alone, you shouldn't be drinking that.

From a medical standpoint, two drinks a day, every day, is really not healthy.  Assuming typical percentages of alcohol by volume, 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, 2 ounces of liqueur and 1 ounce of liquor would all qualify as "a drink."  Drinking that much, you'll have a hell of a beer gut and your liver and kidneys won't be happy.  Two drinks perhaps two times a week is far better, and definitely not more than three.

Back when I was still a drinker, my doctor advised me to have exactly one glass of red wine (5 oz.) a day.  It was to raise my good cholesterol levels, the thinning action on the blood helps prevent clots from forming in the veins and is good for the heart because of the tannins in red wine.  White wine lacks an adequate amount of tannins for the health benefit to kick in before the alcohol consumed canceled it out.

I no longer drink because of a hereditary blood clotting issue that I take medication for.  The medication combined with enough alcohol will cause uncontrolled bleeding from places you're not supposed to bleed.  So toss one back for me once in a while, OK?  :))

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So toss one back for me once in a while, OK?  :))

I think John tossed 5 or 6 back for you the other night.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I drank a bottle of jack for you Don.

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I drank a bottle of jack for you Don.

Next time, a simple Jack-Coke double would be just fine...  :))

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Lets say, I really enjoyed the jack and coke. Drank them forgetting that you are able to get drunk from them. When it kicked it I stopped.

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Who wants me to take a drink on their behalf?

In terms of 'candy-water', which are the term applied to sweet, alchoholic beverages, like Bacardi Breezers, I once made a drink for a friend I called a Skittle.
It consisted of a half-shot of about 5 different fruit flavoured liqueurs I had in the cupboard, topped up with a 50/50 mix of Banana/Mango fruit juice and Mountain Dew.

There was so much alcohol and sugar in it, he gagged, but later told me it was delicious and asked for another.  :D
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
It's my birthday today.

Who wants me to take a drink on their behalf?

In terms of 'candy-water', which are the term applied to sweet, alchoholic beverages, like Bacardi Breezers, I once made a drink for a friend I called a Skittle.
It consisted of a half-shot of about 5 different fruit flavoured liqueurs I had in the cupboard, topped up with a 50/50 mix of Banana/Mango fruit juice and Mountain Dew.

There was so much alcohol and sugar in it, he gagged, but later told me it was delicious and asked for another.  :D

:D Happy Birthday!!!  :D
 If you haven't passed out yet- Take a shot for me 

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Another HB for ya, RF.  I don't drink so you'll have to take one of these for me!

They're not that big...  only three liters...  each...  :))
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:37:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Another HB for ya, RF.  I don't drink so you'll have to take one of these for me!

They're not that big...  only three liters...  each...  :))

Why not. I've never had Belgian wine before. What does it taste like? And don't say 'fizzy grape juice'!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Why not. I've never had Belgian wine before. What does it taste like? And don't say 'fizzy grape juice'!

Who said anything about wine?  That's beer, brewed by Trappist monks!  Among the best beers in the world, I might add...

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Who said anything about wine?  That's beer, brewed by Trappist monks!  Among the best beers in the world, I might add...

Well, that deserves a daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmn!  ???

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Anyone here drink Ispropyl? Shit's da bomb
Forum Founder.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Alex, this is not the spam board. Serious stuff only.

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

He's Russian. They'll drink anything that says 'Alcohol' on the bottle.  :P

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well, that deserves a daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmn!  ???

The three-liter bottle of Corsendonk is called a "magnum".  Split one three ways with a couple of friends at a bar some years ago.  I was kind and deleted the photos of one of my friends getting massively sick afterwards...  Corsendonk probably has about double the alcohol content of most US beers.

But if you really want to go for broke...try Samiclaus.  It's another abbey beer, brewed by monks, but this one's special, brewed only for a brief period of time during the year-end holidays and aged for eleven months before being bottled and sold (meaning the new batch comes out in time for the next holidays).  It also has the distinction of being the strongest beer brewed today, with an alcohol content of about 15% by volume - for those using old spirit measures, that's 30 proof.  Few bars carry it, and those that do generally restrict patrons to no more than two per visit.

I took a different friend out one night to a bar that served this.  This kid, being a decent drinker, didn't believe there was a beer out there that would lay him out after two bottles.  We'll never know - he was too drunk off his ass to finish the second one!

He's Russian. They'll drink anything that says 'Alcohol' on the bottle.  :P

I think Fauks missed the bit about how isopropyl alcohol makes for a good Molotov cocktail..."Shit's da bomb!"

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I think Fauks missed the bit about how isopropyl alcohol makes for a good Molotov cocktail..."Shit's da bomb!"

I think I'll stick to the traditional 50/50 petrol and motor oil blend with a flaming rag garnish.

I also think it's a little funny that a Russian approves of the Molotov cocktail considering it's historical use.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I think I'll stick to the traditional 50/50 petrol and motor oil blend with a flaming rag garnish.

I also think it's a little funny that a Russian approves of the Molotov cocktail considering it's historical use.

You'll have to excuse Alex. I think he has been living out his fantasies through GTA V

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You'll have to excuse Alex. I think he has been living out his fantasies through GTA V

More like living his LIFE through GTA V...

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I think he looks more like GAT from Saint's Row.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 03:57:08 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Remember, once you've gotten your life back. you can kill the hooker to get your money back too.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Aaaanyway, back on topic here...

Am I the only one that gets reaaaallyyy bloated from beer? Like, really bloated. I only drink hard liquor and wine now.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 05:21:15 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Am I the only one that gets reaaaallyyy bloated from beer? Like, really bloated. I only drink hard liquor and wine now.

Yeah, it's just far too fizzy for my taste. The only beer I really drink is stout, e.g. Guinness. It's not as fizzy, and feels heavier, so you actually don't drink it quickly like you would lagers, which are really just flavoured water.

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Aaaanyway, back on topic here...

Yeah, it's just far too fizzy for my taste. The only beer I really drink is stout, e.g. Guinness. It's not as fizzy, and feels heavier, so you actually don't drink it quickly like you would lagers, which are really just flavoured water.

Yeah, but the farts from "Bass Ass" are nowhere near as smelly as the ones from "Guinness Gas"!  And as far as drinking it faster, you've never seen the St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York, have you?  :))  The Irish around here can and do chug Guinness like they were tossing back water with a squeeze of lime.  I'm surprised they don't piss black-brown with a thick tan-colored foam...

Here in the States, the overwhelming majority of the market is lagers and light beers, and generally of a lower alcohol content by volume.  I could see where an Aussie or a Brit would look at it and ask if it was already drunk by someone else before they got it...  We have some great craft breweries and such, but the lion's share of the market is absolute pisswater.

Even our Foster's oilcans come from a brewery in Canada.  If I wanted genuine Aussie-made Foster's, I'd have to look for the green oilcans of Foster's Ale; they don't import the lager to here anymore.  At least the Guinness is the real deal.

If you have access to a GOOD beverage distributor, you may want to get to know him or her now and see if they'll order some Samiclaus for you now so you can get the new batch in December.  Now that's a beer that will knock you off your ass!  I mentioned it a few posts back in this topic.  You should also look for Chimay Grand Reserve - to me, that's the best beer out there.  It's really for savoring slowly - no one ever chugs a Chimay G.R.  A proper beer bar will serve it in a specially-shaped glass that works much like a cognac glass does, concentrating the aroma of the beer to your nose as you begin to take some into your mouth...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:35:50 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Yeah, but the farts from "Bass Ass" are nowhere near as smelly as the ones from "Guinness Gas"!  And as far as drinking it faster, you've never seen the St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York, have you?  :))  The Irish around here can and do chug Guinness like they were tossing back water with a squeeze of lime.  I'm surprised they don't piss black-brown with a thick tan-colored foam...

Here in the States, the overwhelming majority of the market is lagers and light beers, and generally of a lower alcohol content by volume.  I could see where an Aussie or a Brit would look at it and ask if it was already drunk by someone else before they got it...  We have some great craft breweries and such, but the lion's share of the market is absolute pisswater.

Even our Foster's oilcans come from a brewery in Canada.  If I wanted genuine Aussie-made Foster's, I'd have to look for the green oilcans of Foster's Ale; they don't import the lager to here anymore.  At least the Guinness is the real deal.

If you have access to a GOOD beverage distributor, you may want to get to know him or her now and see if they'll order some Samiclaus for you now so you can get the new batch in December.  Now that's a beer that will knock you off your ass!  I mentioned it a few posts back in this topic.  You should also look for Chimay Grand Reserve - to me, that's the best beer out there.  It's really for savoring slowly - no one ever chugs a Chimay G.R.  A proper beer bar will serve it in a specially-shaped glass that works much like a cognac glass does, concentrating the aroma of the beer to your nose as you begin to take some into your mouth...

I like the sound of Chimay G.R. I shall have to see if I can find some in Australia, and if not, whether there's any way to import it.

I miss some of the liqueurs from the US. I used to live with a Canadian who had some root beer schnapps. That stuff was good. I was going to buy him some more, but due to airline regulations I wouldn't have been able to have it flwn in as the alcohol content was too high to allow it.  :(

In Australia, not alot of the people I talk to drink Fosters, or even a brand I used to drink in the UK called Castlemaine XXXX. Here they seem to be reserved for Aussie rednecks, typically called 'bogans'. There's quite a few craft beers to satisfy everyone else, so we're not stuck when it comes to beer. Wine, however, is supposed to be becoming more and more popular here, according to a recent poll.

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I like the sound of Chimay G.R. I shall have to see if I can find some in Australia, and if not, whether there's any way to import it.

I miss some of the liqueurs from the US. I used to live with a Canadian who had some root beer schnapps. That stuff was good. I was going to buy him some more, but due to airline regulations I wouldn't have been able to have it flwn in as the alcohol content was too high to allow it.  :(

In Australia, not alot of the people I talk to drink Fosters, or even a brand I used to drink in the UK called Castlemaine XXXX. Here they seem to be reserved for Aussie rednecks, typically called 'bogans'. There's quite a few craft beers to satisfy everyone else, so we're not stuck when it comes to beer. Wine, however, is supposed to be becoming more and more popular here, according to a recent poll.

Chimay Grand Reserve (and the rest of the Chimay Brewery line) come from Belgium.  Samichlaus is from Austria.  (I just discovered I was misspelling it!)  And on the list of beers with the highest ABV, Samichlaus has been surpassed by QUITE a few newer beers...  http://www.beertutor.com/beers/index.php?t=highest_alcohol

The strongest beer in the world has more alcohol by volume than most liquors!  It's 130 proof/65% ABV!  It's insane.

Anyway, wine is becoming more in the States as well - as the baby boomers head deeper and deeper into retirement age, it's become their alcoholic beverage of choice.

Funny side note: in the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" stories, during the earliest period of the Jedi Order, they named the light side of the Force "Ashla" and the dark side was called "Bogan"...  :))

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:59 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
We had an Octoberfest here Saturday- Got to try an Apple Cider beer. Didn't like it. I'm not a beer drinker, even when it taste like apples

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
We had an Octoberfest here Saturday- Got to try an Apple Cider beer. Didn't like it. I'm not a beer drinker, even when it taste like apples

Apple Cider beer + Cinamin Whisky = [spoiler]orgasmic[/spoiler]

ILL DO BBCODE THAT DOESNT WORK ON THIS FORUM IF I WANT
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I'll fix that for you

Apple Cider beer + Cinamin Whisky = [needsAA]JohnBFallingDown[/needsAA]

Did that Work?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'll fix that for you

Apple Cider beer + Cinamin Whisky = [needsAA]JohnBFallingDown[/needsAA]

Did that Work?

Actually, you need to leave off the "[/needsAA]" code.  He still needs it...

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

By 'Cinamin' whisky, do you mean Fireball, or is there a better one?

I made 'Cinamin' vodka once, could I use that instead?

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer

By 'Cinamin' whisky, do you mean Fireball, or is there a better one?

I made 'Cinamin' vodka once, could I use that instead?

I always used fireball but i'm sure there are different alternatives.

To be honest I don't know... Try it :D

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I recently acquired a mason jar of peach drink. I took a couple nice swigs. Man it was smooth. I was good for while, but about 45 minutes later I was messed up. Wow that stuff is potent.
What's the strongest drink you guys have had?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Jack daniels, but it and some summer shandy are all I have had. Getting some rum this weekend. And some single shots thing that I was told they had so I could see what I like.

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I recently acquired a mason jar of peach drink. I took a couple nice swigs. Man it was smooth. I was good for while, but about 45 minutes later I was messed up. Wow that stuff is potent.

In my drinking heyday, I've been known to drink Bacardi 151 straight.  75.5% alcohol by volume.  Next strongest would probably be a mix of Coke and Everclear (95% abv).

In terms of concoctions, I knew a guy - the music director at the radio station I DJ'ed at briefly in my early twenties - who was cousins with Stiv Bators, from the band The Dead Boys.  Back in Ohio, he said, they painted the town red while blitzed on a drink named after the band, a Dead Boy.  It's a shot of everything in the bartender's speed rack with a dribble of Coke on top for color.  Makes Long Island Iced Tea look like an Arnold Palmer.  I've had more than a few of those.

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

In my drinking heyday, I've been known to drink Bacardi 151 straight.  75.5% alcohol by volume.  Next strongest would probably be a mix of Coke and Everclear (95% abv).

In terms of concoctions, I knew a guy - the music director at the radio station I DJ'ed at briefly in my early twenties - who was cousins with Stiv Bators, from the band The Dead Boys.  Back in Ohio, he said, they painted the town red while blitzed on a drink named after the band, a Dead Boy.  It's a shot of everything in the bartender's speed rack with a dribble of Coke on top for color.  Makes Long Island Iced Tea look like an Arnold Palmer.  I've had more than a few of those.

How much Bacardi were you able to drink straight? I imagine quite alot. You look like a man who can hold his liquor.

As for the Coke and Everclear, was it a 50/50 mix, or was it mixed like a vodka and Coke, so it was stronger than your standard V&C, but not 'blow your nuts off' strong?

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

How much Bacardi were you able to drink straight? I imagine quite alot. You look like a man who can hold his liquor.

As for the Coke and Everclear, was it a 50/50 mix, or was it mixed like a vodka and Coke, so it was stronger than your standard V&C, but not 'blow your nuts off' strong?

I polished off about half of a 750ml bottle over the course of a couple of hours.  It's not good for you.

I was already "bartender-trained" by then - most "shot-and-mix" beverages are poured 50/50.  When the bottle has giant warning labels like "DO NOT DRINK STRAIGHT" and "HIGHLY FLAMMABLE", you don't really try pushing it harder than that...if you're smart.

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »

Sovereign

• True Member
The last time I drank was some terrifyingly strong horseradish vodka that was kind of forced on me in Kiev. My response was pretty much what would happen in a cartoon. Blegh.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
A friend of mine got me a bunch of these single shots to try. the only ones that she got me more then one of are ones I really would rather not drink more then one of. Kinky blue vodka, some rasberry pomagrante light thing, and chocalete cherry. I liked the rum - want more - and have not tried the others. though will be doing 5 shots tonight.

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A friend of mine got me a bunch of these single shots to try. the only ones that she got me more then one of are ones I really would rather not drink more then one of. Kinky blue vodka, some rasberry pomagrante light thing, and chocalete cherry. I liked the rum - want more - and have not tried the others. though will be doing 5 shots tonight.

You should call your sponsor first, don't you think?  :))

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
sponser? I will say I love the burn but the taste of some of this is ehh.

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2013, 12:10:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

After you've been in AA for a while, you get assigned a sponsor - oh, wait, that's right, you never joined because you "don't have a problem..."  :))  You drink, you get drunk, you fall down - no problem!

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

After you've been in AA for a while, you get assigned a sponsor - oh, wait, that's right, you never joined because you "don't have a problem..."  :))  You drink, you get drunk, you fall down - no problem!

Don,
He just hasn't hit rock bottom yet.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I keep my problem in check though I thought this was so funny that it popped in to my e-mail. I saw the subject and cracked up laughing. nothing in the e-mail deals with a drinking problem though.

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I keep my problem in check though I thought this was so funny that it popped in to my e-mail. I saw the subject and cracked up laughing. nothing in the e-mail deals with a drinking problem though.

Maybe it was because of this...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wrong-path

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
haha, no one put money in.

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I have some cinimon whisky, online it mentioned putting it in your chai. my tea is ruined. This taste horrible. I am trying to finish it so I dont waste the milk.

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I have some cinimon whisky, online it mentioned putting it in your chai. my tea is ruined. This taste horrible. I am trying to finish it so I dont waste the milk.

Y'know that "chai" and "tea" are not EXACTLY the same thing, right?  A chai is a variety of tea, but not all tea is chai.  It tends to be richer than most tea consumed in the US and the UK.  Often it's already spicy on its own, usually with cinnamon.

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I used chai tea, technically it was vanilla chai.

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 02:49:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I used chai tea, technically it was vanilla chai.

Well, there's your problem right there!  Vanilla chai is more smooth than spiced - it's kind of a clash.  Like drinking milk and orange juice in the same glass.

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 02:57:18 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
the alcohol part was nice but the was almost to much. I might try it with real chai later. I just had a shot of some maple whisky. I really want pancakes now.

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
the alcohol part was nice but the was almost to much. I might try it with real chai later. I just had a shot of some maple whisky. I really want pancakes now.

Is there any alcoholic beverage you WON'T try?  :))

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 03:32:33 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
well I don't know what I like so I am trying them all. Or atleast what people buy for me right now.

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
well I don't know what I like so I am trying them all. Or atleast what people buy for me right now.
John B.
If you're going to be an underage alcoholic- you have to learn code.
No one is buying you booze- you found it in the street or trash

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
pssh we are online and I could always say its part of my religious beliefs, or its medical, helps me through my stress. :)

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Definitely an alcoholic then

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Hey, if it makes it semi legal (its ok if its for medical purposes) I will use it. lol

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hey, if it makes it semi legal (its ok if its for medical purposes) I will use it. lol

Isn't that the excuse used by those kids who were getting drunk off of drinking mouthwash?

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
you can get drunk off mouthwash? you can actually stand it enough to swallow? (thats what she said! lol)

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Isn't that the excuse used by those kids who were getting drunk off of drinking mouthwash?

you can get drunk off mouthwash? you can actually stand it enough to swallow? (thats what she said! lol)

Actually, the ingredients in most common mouthwashes will KILL you, even the ones without any alcohol in them.  Those kids weren't drinking mouthwash - they were drinking a green alcoholic beverage DISGUISED as mouthwash in a mouthwash bottle.  A popular concoction for such work would be a 50/50 mix of green creme de menthe and vodka - practically smells like mouthwash.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:14:15 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
hmm interesting don, send me some. :)

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
hmm interesting don, send me some. :)

Now, y'see, that would be enabling...

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have not idea what your talking about. Its not like I have a problem. We joke that I have one but we know I am good.

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have not idea what your talking about. Its not like I have a problem. We joke that I have one but we know I am good.

Actually, you do have a problem.  You need to turn up the sensitivity a little on your humor detector...  :))

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:55 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Actually, you do have a problem.  You need to turn up the sensitivity a little on your humor detector...  :))

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You're still using the beta version for Win95?!?  No wonder your jokes keep crashing!  Perhaps you should try an OS and a HumorSense(TM) made in THIS generation...  :))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:13:12 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2014, 01:58:15 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Hey so just figured I would say I am 21 now, have been for a few months. And in this time I drank an entire thing of 375 ml thing of candian whisky  and got sick, at my grandma while I was visisting no less. Had a bunch of different drinks Kinda know what I like. 151 is nice. Seeing my friend light it on fire before I drink it though was scary. I am trying a mix and match 6 pack of beers right now. I dont like guinness. Also had a corona since turning 21 and dont like it. I dont think I like beer but I am giving a bunch a shot.

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey so just figured I would say I am 21 now, have been for a few months. And in this time I drank an entire thing of 375 ml thing of candian whisky  and got sick, at my grandma while I was visisting no less. Had a bunch of different drinks Kinda know what I like. 151 is nice. Seeing my friend light it on fire before I drink it though was scary. I am trying a mix and match 6 pack of beers right now. I dont like guinness. Also had a corona since turning 21 and dont like it. I dont think I like beer but I am giving a bunch a shot.
I've tried many different beers. Have never liked one of them. Give me a nice mixed drink. I'm good to go.

I've never acquired a taste for wine either. I wish I liked it. When ever I'm out to eat. I always notice the wine drinkers. They're always having a good time, laid back, chill. There's something appealing about sitting around with a group of friends, sharing a nice bottle of wine, comparing it to the bottle you tried last week(night, hour).
No one sits around comparing Jack Daniels to the bottle of Jack they had last week.

Just remember John- Moderation!

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Keep the liquor drinking to a shot per hour, with pints of water between, and you're a lot less likely to become ill.  You might, depending on laws in your state, remain under the legal limit for intoxication - though if you drive like an idiot, sober or drunk, you can still get busted.

You need to find the right beers.  Most mass-produced American beer is swill, unfortunately.  You'll do better with some imports - Molson's from Canada (higher % alc./vol.) is good, Kirin from Japan is good, Kirin Ichiban ("ichiban" in Japanese is "number one" or "first" in English) is fantastic though not easy to find (some shops will let you special-order the poison of your choice).

A great beer for hot summer days is Bohemia - very thirst-quenching.  Was the Corona served with a wedge of lime?  You're supposed to squeeze it in the neck of the bottle, pushing it inside, then drink.  But then again, if a beer needs help from a fruit, just how good can it be?

The KING of winter beer is Samiclaus from Switzerland.  It's a Christmas celebration beer that's only brewed during the holidays, with each new batch coming available I think in November (yes, it's really aged).  Gotta go easy on them - it's 15% alc./vol., so it's alcohol content is equal to the same volume in wine or three to four American beers of the same volume.  The few places in New York that still serve it limit patrons to no more than two bottles.

The KING of ALL beers is Chimay Grande Reserve Ale.  Brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium, you have to taste it to know what incredibly good beer tastes like - there's little that compares.  It's packaged in bottles that are corked and sealed like champagne!  Chimay also produces a few lesser grades, and a competitor brewery, Corsendonk, also makes some fantastic ales, also corked like Chimay.

« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea since the night of getting wasted I have learned moderation, lol. And the corana did have lime. My friend really likes them, I dont. I do prefer mixed drinks. Rum and orange juice is good. Also screwdrivers.

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea since the night of getting wasted I have learned moderation, lol. And the corana did have lime. My friend really likes them, I dont. I do prefer mixed drinks. Rum and orange juice is good. Also screwdrivers.

Try a screwdriver with a splash of ginger ale in it.  Totally kills the taste of the vodka.

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Try a screwdriver with a splash of ginger ale in it.  Totally kills the taste of the vodka.

I like the vodka though... might give it a shot as I enjoy ginger ale. A friend of mine gave me this apple vodka he did not like and I found its not bad with the oj. Also found out I like wheat beer. And stouts. Last night I had a chocolate stout, and a samuel adams cherry wheat

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you like stouts, those ales I mentioned are right up your alley.

Also, see if you can find any lambic ales - they're made with fruits such as peach, raspberry, etc.  They go down very easily.

And of course, you have to try the king of all stouts, Guinness!  Best to get it on tap, but now they make the can and the bottle with "the gadget" - a device used to do something to the stout so that when you pour it out into a glass, it reacts in pretty much the same way as if you'd poured it from the tap.  It really only works when poured, so never drink Guinness in the container it came in.

BTW: if you find any porter as well - it's just another name for stout!  The name came into being because it was the favorite beverage of the Irish porters working in England.

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If you like stouts, those ales I mentioned are right up your alley.

Also, see if you can find any lambic ales - they're made with fruits such as peach, raspberry, etc.  They go down very easily.

And of course, you have to try the king of all stouts, Guinness!  Best to get it on tap, but now they make the can and the bottle with "the gadget" - a device used to do something to the stout so that when you pour it out into a glass, it reacts in pretty much the same way as if you'd poured it from the tap.  It really only works when poured, so never drink Guinness in the container it came in.

BTW: if you find any porter as well - it's just another name for stout!  The name came into being because it was the favorite beverage of the Irish porters working in England.

Hmm they may have been why I did not like the Guinness. That was the first one I tried, I think the bottle said Guinness draught. I hated it. But the stout from the other night was good.

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hmm they may have been why I did not like the Guinness. That was the first one I tried, I think the bottle said Guinness draught. I hated it. But the stout from the other night was good.

Here's an article on the device used in Guinness cans and bottles - the company calls it a "widget".  It went into mass use in the late 1980s.  Its purpose is to inject the beer with nitrogen gas to give it a creamier head when poured immediately after opening, which improves the flavor in a serving of Guinness.  They had a patent on it for a while, but competing brewers now offer the same device in their stouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_%28beer%29

Interesting fact: when it was rented on 31 Dec. 1759, Arthur Guinness signed a lease for the St. James' Gate Brewery's property, located in the heart of Dublin - 45 Irish pounds per year, with a term of NINE THOUSAND YEARS.  The lease is now void, due both to legal changes on how leases are drawn as well as because the brewery and much of the surrounding property was purchased by Guinness over time.

More pertinent interesting fact: most "imported brand" beers in Ireland are brewed under license by Guinness, which is a subsidiary brand of Diageo, the global beer and spirits conglomerate, which at one time also owned the only existing brands of Irish whiskey of the period: Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy, John Powers and Tullamore Dew.  They created a sixth brand, Midleton, named after the town where all the whiskey production was moved to, which was extremely rare and of the hundred barrels bottled each year, only a small fraction of it makes it outside of Ireland.

I used to drink Midleton and it would run over $100 a bottle at the time, with each bottle serial-numbered and signed (by rubber stamp) by the master distiller.  The liquor store I ordered it from was shocked - they never had to sign for a delivery before, but they were made to signed for the two bottles I eventually purchased before the deliveryman would remove it from his truck.  I'd be shocked by now if it wasn't going for at least $150 for a fifth (750ml).  Even more incredible - it came in a display box with a form you could fill out to officially register your ownership of that bottle with the distillery!

I also visited Ireland in '92 with my ex-wife and when I bought cans of Budweiser and Foster's Lager, they were marked as being made by Guinness under license.  I remember spending the Fourth of July sitting in my ex-wife's aunt's apartment/B&B watching on TV the US team lose to Ireland at the first-ever World Cup held in the US.  The aunt wouldn't even let us go to the pub after dark - she lived near "council housing" (their euphemism for "the projects") and felt it wasn't safe.

Wow, do I know how to ramble or what!  :))

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:19 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Here's an article on the device used in Guinness cans ................................ ???

........................ and felt it wasn't safe.

Wow, do I know how to ramble or what!  :))

:t11:

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Anybody home brew?  I'm still on kits, but latest is a Belgian style that is over 13%.   :o

I usually only do 2-4 batches a year. Each nets about 48 bottles. Considering switching to kegs.

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Anybody home brew?  I'm still on kits, but latest is a Belgian style that is over 13%.   :o

I usually only do 2-4 batches a year. Each nets about 48 bottles. Considering switching to kegs.

I think if you go for bottles it will stay fresh longer.  But I could fit my knowledge of brewing on a note small enough to fit in a bottle...

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
If you decide to try whisky, Irish tends to be the smoothest.  Bourbons have a perfume-y aftertaste, Scotch can be a little rough around the edges.  Irish whiskey and Scotch are in essence the same - same ingredients, same distillation process - but the grain for Scotch is dried with peat fires as opposed to air-dried for Irish whiskey, and Scotch is double-distilled whereas Irish is triple-distilled.  The best commonly-available brand would be Black Bush, the top-shelf version of Bushmills.

Little known facts: whisky is spelled without an "e" unless it's Irish - then it's spelled whiskey.  It comes from the Gaelic phrase "uiske beatha," meaning "water of life."  It's kind of funny, because throughout Dublin the manhole covers connected to the water supply are marked uiske!

Over here you're likely to meet much disagreement making even slight comparisons between irish and scotch whisky!

In my opinion the only 'proper' whisky is single malt scotch. But I can't drink it often as it gives me chronic heartburn   :(
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Over here you're likely to meet much disagreement making even slight comparisons between irish and scotch whisky!

In my opinion the only 'proper' whisky is single malt scotch. But I can't drink it often as it gives me chronic heartburn   :(

I love the smell of scotch, but cant drink it straight, which somewhat defeats the purpose of drinking scotch.

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Believe it or not, the process for making the two spirits is nearly identical.  They used the same ingredients and the same hardware, but there's a slight difference in the process used - actually, two differences.  In the malting, Scotch whisky uses peat fires for drying while Irish whiskey is air-dried and Scotch is double-distilled while Irish is triple-distilled.  There are exceptions, naturally, but these are the general differences between the two, aside from the spelling of whisky/whiskey.

I'm not knocking Scotch one bit - I've been known in my past to savor a glass of a'bunadh from Abelour Distillery, a very fine single-malt.  But for younger tastes, especially people used to either American beer or sweet/fruity drinks, the peatiness can be off-putting.  Compare that a'bunadh to something comparable like Jameson single malt, especially the "Three-Wood" 15-year-old variety, and there's no denying that a new whisky drinker would find the Jameson more palatable.

I love the smell of scotch, but cant drink it straight, which somewhat defeats the purpose of drinking scotch.

I'm a certified Irish whiskey taster and I've attended a number of Scotch whisky tastings hosted by Johnnie Walker Distilleries.  The ideal way to drink most whiskies, even bourbon or blended rye, is in a rocks glass over ice, in a 1:1 ratio with pure, clean water.  The addition of the water actually opens up the flavor of the whisky, making it more aromatic.

Your sense of taste is heavily tied to your sense of smell, so the better something smells, the better it usually tastes, unless it's been adulterated with something that is odorless and negatively reacts directly with the taste buds.  Your tongue alone can only detect sweet, sour, salty and bitter - the rest is all olfactory, depending on your nose.

The point being that most whiskies are not meant to be consumed straight, especially if it's something of a higher grade than what typically sits in the speed rack of your local bar.

Best ice for sipping drinks: a large, solid ball of ice.  It's cold enough to keep the drink nicely chilled, but has a smaller overall surface area compared to a typical glass filled with many small ice cubes, thus insuring it melts more slowly to keep the drink cold while also adding less water to your beverage, keeping it at the desired flavor, temperature and strength for a longer time.  Most bars don't have the equipment to make good, clear ice balls with few to no pockets of trapped air - you'll generally find them in more upscale establishments.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:56:50 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
See I have always heard of people drinking scotch straight. They say adding water ruins the taste. The scotch I did have, I did the 1:1 ratio with a dash of lemon. I might try it the next time I get scotch. If you want don I wont stop you from getting me a nice bottle as a gift,  8)  ;D  :t11:

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
See I have always heard of people drinking scotch straight. They say adding water ruins the taste. The scotch I did have, I did the 1:1 ratio with a dash of lemon. I might try it the next time I get scotch. If you want don I wont stop you from getting me a nice bottle as a gift,  8)  ;D  :t11:

Mailing booze is a pain in the ass - "flammable and hazardous liquids" and all that post-9/11 stuff.

Skip the lemon, drink it watered.  Inhale a good noseful before you drink.

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
will do, and don all you have to do is order it online and put my address in, then you dont have to deal with the hassle. :p Would it be weird if I drank scotch alone? I dont have friends that do much liquor drinking. Atleast not scotch.

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
will do, and don all you have to do is order it online and put my address in, then you dont have to deal with the hassle. :p Would it be weird if I drank scotch alone? I dont have friends that do much liquor drinking. Atleast not scotch.

There's nothing stopping you from either drinking alone or with friends.  If they drink at a bar, it's a non-issue.  If you're in someone's home, bring a bottle as a gift and pour your drinks from that, or if you know the host to be fussy about that kind of thing, just bring a small bottle for your personal consumption.  For that, a flask might look a bit classier than using a bottle in a paper bag, but you shouldn't drink straight from it, instead pouring it into a glass (avoid plastic; some plastics will mess with the flavor of your beverage in no good ways).

A single drink, standard strength, would be an ounce - just barely under 30 ml.  Bars may pour lighter of heavier depending on their standard shot size.  Bottles sold in the US typically come in these sizes and yield roughly this many drinks:
Mini - 50ml - 1 strong or 2 standard.
"Half-Pint" - 200ml - about 6-7 drinks.
"Pint" - 375 ml - about 12-13 drinks.
"Fifth" - 750 ml - about 26 drinks.
Liter - 1,000 ml - about 33-34 drinks.
"Half Gallon" - 1,750 ml - about 55 drinks.

Larger bottles cost less per ounce, so if using a flask, go large and save a few bucks.  The typical wide hip flask hold 8 ounces - more than enough to keep you going for the evening.  If you don't have or want to deal with a flask, don't buy larger than a half-pint unless you're planning to share among your friends.

Another thing about the flask is that you can "pre-water" your Scotch so it's ready to pour over ice.  AVOID doing this.  Water's cheap, booze isn't and it evaporates over time, leaving you with a weaker drink minus the aromatic flavor.  (Yes, sealed flasks are liquid-tight - but they tend not to be perfectly gas-tight, especially when it comes to alcohol vapors.)  They should, whenever possible, be blended only as you're about to drink.

Avoid going too far overproof on any beverage - I've seen liqueurs at 101 proof (50.5% abv), bourbons as high as 114 proof (57% abv) and rums can hit 151 proof (75.5% abv).  The math is easy, each "proof" is half-a-percentage-point alcohol by volume.  US beers usually clock in at around 5%, wines at 15% and liquor at 43%.  I say this not because I think they taste bad or anything, but because it can do terrible, horrible things to your digestive tract.  If you do drink these, do so with a lot of mixer and only infrequently.

As a matter of fact, I don't know if they still make this, but the Jack Daniel's Distillery used to make a "green label" Jack Daniel's that was UNDER-proof - only 80 proof.  It was considerably smoother.  An increase in alcohol content does nothing whatsoever to improve the flavor - in fact, the purer it is, the less flavor it has.  Everclear, at 190 proof, is nearly devoid of taste - it's essentially moonshine in a bottle.

Avoid sugary mixers - it's where most of your hangover headache will come from.  Impurities in general make for a bad hangover, though one can't neglect the aftereffects of killing thousands of brain cells, either.  I saw a science show test various hangover remedies - the best was a dose of acetaminophen with a pint-glass of water taken before going to sleep.  NEVER take aspirin or ibuprophen or any other NSAID pain reliever with alcohol - both react in the blood stream to thin out your blood, can turn ordinary heartburn into ulcers and do nasty things to your liver.  Get a cut when drunk and you bleed like a stuck pig - add NSAIDs to that and you have the potential to lose a LOT of blood.

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
earlier in this thread alex mentioned its not acceptable to drink alone. And I would feel weird drinking scotch while everyone is drinking mixed drinks but I might.

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
earlier in this thread alex mentioned its not acceptable to drink alone. And I would feel weird drinking scotch while everyone is drinking mixed drinks but I might.

Scotch and water IS a mixed drink!

If you want to go for a real "rocks" type mixed drink, try a Rusty Nail.  Courtesy of Wikipedia:

A Rusty Nail is made by mixing Drambuie and Scotch whisky. The drink was included in Difford's Guide Top 100 Cocktails. Some prefer less Drambuie to decrease the sweetness of the drink. Scotch whisky has a fairly biting and hot taste that is counterbalanced by the honeyed, herbal overtones of the Drambuie.

Drambuie is a liqueur that's made from Scotch mixed with assorted herbs - it's the sweeter cousin of Scotch!  If a bartender doesn't know the proper recipe, tell them to use a jigger - fill the large end with Scotch, the small end with Drambuie.  If they don't know what a jigger is, perhaps you should look for a real bartender instead of a pretend bartender...

If the bartender just plops the lemon twist into the drink, pull it back out and really twist it - the point of the lemon twist is that it's not simply a garnish to look pretty(-ish), it's a flavoring ingredient.  The twisting releases citrus oils from the skin into the drink, where it floats on top.  And if their idea of a "lemon twist" is a wedge of lemon, they don't know jack about cocktails and you should stick to Scotch and water!

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
What I meant when I said mixed drinks, is more like cheaper non scotchy drinks. I might give that a shot though.

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What I meant when I said mixed drinks, is more like cheaper non scotchy drinks. I might give that a shot though.

If you want cheaper, there's always the Scotch they serve from the speed rack for "well drinks".

Other recipes to try:

Godfather: Scotch and vodka on the rocks.
Godmother: Godfather with milk/cream added, shaken.

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

If you want cheaper, there's always the Scotch they serve from the speed rack for "well drinks".

Other recipes to try:

Godfather: Scotch and vodka on the rocks.
Godmother: Godfather with milk/cream added, shaken.

I figure if I am going to drink scotch I should drink something good. And that godmother sounds goods, I might give it a shot.