You are Here:
whats a good software to design a deck?

Author (Read 1342 times)

whats a good software to design a deck?
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
so whats a good software to design a deck of cards?

Re: whats a good software to design a deck?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
From what I have read, and from some experience in graphics, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are great tools to use. Those are not free, nor cheap but I have used other programs such as GIMP ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) which is a great free alternative.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
ok thank you.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Like Curt said, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are what most people are using. They are expensive but there is so much that you can do with them. It will take a while to learn how to use it, but once you get the hang of it, you can do awesome things!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yeah photoshop is usually the choice for artist. Don't be afraid though to branch out. For the Galvanic deck I'm using Maya and photoshop to develop the designs.
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Personally, I like a lot of stuff that's first hand-drawn and then scanned into Photosop/Illustrator for colouring etc. but really, there's no rules; if it can make an image file, you can use it.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Personally, I like a lot of stuff that's first hand-drawn and then scanned into Photosop/Illustrator for colouring etc. but really, there's no rules; if it can make an image file, you can use it.

This is the route I choose when I do most of my art. Some of it I just keep as sketches, but if I'm looking to further it for some reason I scan it and then edit, color it, etc... on photoshop. It's just my preferred method because I like the feeling of hand drawing to start.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:28 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
but really, there's no rules; if it can make an image file, you can use it.
Not really. While I agree that Photoshop and Illustrator aren't the only good options, some programs fail to deliver the same amount of quality and should be avoided.
(And don't believe anyone telling you that Gimp is equal to Photoshop; they don't know what they're saying.)

...Besides, Photoshop is fr- Oops, nevermind. ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:22:20 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:23 AM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Honestly most softwares are good enough if your design is good enough. Ideally an Adobe Suite is in order, but if you got the flair for it and the control for it, unless you have unusual graphics, most programs can hold out for you. If its good enough for someone to see the potential, they might be willing to revamp it for you.

I personally do everything by hand. No borrowed flourish vectors. Nothing clip art. They restrict and control your design so you have to "live with" what you can find. Everything I've done is by hand from pencil, to pen, to digital pen in illustrator. That's then taken to photoshop. I'm not saying you need to pay a bajillion dollars for a software program. I'm saying if your focus isn't on your initial design, hiding behind software programs won't help.

The great thing about a regular pen/pencil is that you can sketch ANYWHERE, ANYTIME! Who needs an iPad.

-Chin
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:02:49 AM by IAmTheChin »
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I personally do everything by hand. No borrowed flourish vectors. Nothing clip art. They restrict and control your design so you have to "live with" what you can find. Everything I've done is by hand from pencil, to pen, to digital pen in illustrator. That's then taken to photoshop.

Beginning (or seasoned) designers, take heed of this path. It's a well tested road and one worthy of emulating. While things can be done all digital, and certain designs are easier to accomplish purely in the computer, there is value in starting by hand, refining ideas and then moving on to the "finishing" stages in the computer. More steps, but usually worth it.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
I agree, but at the same time, hesitate to 100% support this notion.  Experienced users of Photoshop and Illustrator may find that certain effects can be achieved with software that might not have ever crossed your mind while on pen and paper.  Most people with a good eye for art can envision how a gradient would look or a Gaussian blur, but sometimes just fiddling with the software can get you unexpected results.

I am in no way condoning the explicit use of software, nor the explicit use of filters to produce a finished product.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
thank you guys.