Author (Read 562 times)

New Member- Brian Denham Hello!
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

BrianDenham

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brian Denham and I'm from Texas. I live just a few miles north of the Alamo.

I am a professional comicbook artist. I have worked for Marvel, DC, Image and a ton of smaller companies on an eclectic variety of comics. I have been into artwork my whole life and I've recently been putting together artwork and plans for making card decks. I came across the Aether board from reading a ton of comments on Kickstarter and I have seen a lot of advice from board members who mentioned this site. I have been reading a lot of old threads on here and getting a sense of the forums. I thought it was about time to say hello.

I recently launched a Kickstarter with a friend and publisher of Antarctic Press, a small comic company that has been publishing since 1985. Thanks to a lot of your comments and suggestions you have made my card designs a lot better. I am a week into this campaign but I plan on doing a few other decks in the future. I don't feel it is appropriate to share a link to my KS along with my introduction but I will start a thread in the proper area if you are interested.

I look forward to seeing you all on the boards.

~Brian Denham

Re: New Member- Brian Denham Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
First, allow me to say hello and welcome you to the Discourse.  We have strong opinions but only because we're passionate about playing cards.  We're especially happy to see a top-flight artist or designer stop by to talk shop!  If you have any upcoming deck ideas still on the drawing board and want a little input, our Design and Development board is the place to be.

Second, yes, by all means, put a link to your project here - and in your signature, too.  You have to promote the hell out of it to succeed.  If you're a contributing member to the community, we don't mind a little chatting up of your project, as long as you try staying on topic and raise it only briefly and tangentially.  If your project is all you wanted to talk about, then we'd ask you to keep it in your deck's topic.

Third, before creating a new topic about your deck, check to see if one already exists.  Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, if there's a KS project page for a new deck, there's a topic for it here in less than a few hours.  Go to the Playing Card Plethora and check out the New Deck Report.  I try keeping it updated three times a week (in the wee hours of Saturday, Monday and Wednesday mornings) and there are links to topics on as many current decks as we can find, KS and otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:07:43 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »

BrianDenham

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you for your kind words and hospitality, Don.

I found the Kickstarter thread covering my deck, Ultimate Zombies. I posted in there and look forward to any and all comments.

I appreciate the discourse covering the decks and art related issues. Who knew putting together a deck of cards could be so involved and yet so simple. I enjoy the research I have done so far covering the history of card designs. You guys have a great site here and I am happy to be a part of it.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you for your kind words and hospitality, Don.

I found the Kickstarter thread covering my deck, Ultimate Zombies. I posted in there and look forward to any and all comments.

I appreciate the discourse covering the decks and art related issues. Who knew putting together a deck of cards could be so involved and yet so simple. I enjoy the research I have done so far covering the history of card designs. You guys have a great site here and I am happy to be a part of it.

I was just over there and left you a lot to think about!  Have fun - I tend to be very verbose in my writing...  :))

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »

BrianDenham

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I have been enjoying your verbose posts! This forum is a goldmine of ideas not just for the cards but the thought process involved in creating artwork. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have been enjoying your verbose posts! This forum is a goldmine of ideas not just for the cards but the thought process involved in creating artwork. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I also do consulting on playing card designs as a sideline...  I'm not a designer myself, but I know the elements that make a deck work for the target audience in question, and I tend to be full of ideas (not all great ones, but enough are)!  I don't charge much because I enjoy it, but eventually I wouldn't mind making a more formal go of it and really turn it into a business.  That assumes, of course, that there's actually money to be made at it...  :))