You are Here:
The 2018 Diamond Awards - how does this board work?

Author (Read 10538 times)

The 2018 Diamond Awards - how does this board work?
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, everyone, and welcome to the Nominee Topics board for the 2018 Diamond Awards.

The Diamond Awards are handed out annually by 52 Plus Joker as a way to honor excellence in the fields of playing card design, manufacture and collecting.  The general membership of 52+J has the privilege of voting for the Playing Card Artist of the Year (AotY) and the Playing Card Deck of the Year (DotY).  They'll receive emails about where to find the Google Forms ballot for casting their votes on Wednesday, August 1st, at which time voting will be open and remain so until Saturday, September 8th, 2018 at 12:01am New York time (04:01 UTC).  Each ballot contains the list of nominees and a link to the related topic for each - the topics you see on this board, which will contain information about the nominees such as images and links.  Artists are invited to comment on their own works in these topics and answer any questions people may have, as well as to encourage and invite people to vote for their work!  Members of 52+J and non-members who are forum users may comment on decks and artists and ask questions about nominees, within the limits of standard spam restrictions of the forum.

Members are permitted to vote for other works as well as a write-in entry on their ballots - to be eligible for consideration in the current award cycle, an artist must have released their playing card deck between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.  "Released" is defined as made available for retail sale, given away to the public for free, distributed to crowdfunding backers or made available as a free, limited promotional item, with the final determination of eligibility to be made by the Diamond Awards Committee and the Board of Directors of 52 Plus Joker.  Forum users are permitted to promote eligible decks by creating new topics on this sub-board, one topic per eligible candidate, subject to eligibility of the artist/deck and standard spam restrictions of the forum.

"Why wasn't my favorite deck/artist nominated to be on the ballot?  The work in question was eligible!"  Before asking anyone that question, ask yourself this question: "Why didn't I volunteer to be on the Diamond Awards Committee (DAC) and participate in the nomination process?"  I have an open call to all 52+J members to participate in the DAC and make the nominee selection process as robust as possible to best reflect the opinions of the membership and the card collecting world in general - and I have yet to reach the point that I have too many active Committee members!  To volunteer for the DAC and help with next year's nominee selection process, contact me at donboyermagic - at - gmail - dot - com.

Not a 52+J member?  It's not too late to join!  Members get to vote for the Diamond Awards, but that's hardly the only benefit!  Go to this page for a listing of the other benefits of membership and to this page to sign up!

Winners will be announced at the Second Annual Diamond Awards Presentation at the Gala Dinner during the 2018 52 Plus Joker Convention in Strongsville/Cleveland, Ohio on Saturday, October 13th, 2018.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:18:17 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/