You are Here:
5 Black Box Playing Card Games with Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 1134 times)

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/446874651/5-black-box-playing-card-games-with-bicycle-playin?ref=users

This is Warpunk Games(Brian Lee) reincarnation of Zombie Black Playing Cards. Has a goal of $19,000

The actual cards of the project are called Revenant, and will be Bicycle branded. The game comes with additional game cards, plastic chips, dice, and pawns.
 Kind of a novel approach to get a custom deck of cards made.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: 5 Black Box Playing Card Games with Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/446874651/5-black-box-playing-card-games-with-bicycle-playin?ref=users

This is Warpunk Games(Brian Lee) reincarnation of Zombie Black Playing Cards. Has a goal of $19,000

The actual cards of the project are called Revenant, and will be Bicycle branded. The game comes with additional game cards, plastic chips, dice, and pawns.

His approach is both novel and expensive.  He'd better really drag the gaming audience to this page, big time, for the best shot at succeeding.  Card projects have a tough time raising that kind of funding, for the most part - raging successes are more the exception than the rule.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

His approach is both novel and expensive.  He'd better really drag the gaming audience to this page, big time, for the best shot at succeeding.  Card projects have a tough time raising that kind of funding, for the most part - raging successes are more the exception than the rule.

Absolutely agree. Novel doesn't necessarily translate to good. His first attempt gained just under $6,000. While $1,300 is pretty good in 12 hours, $19,000 is a long way to go.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Absolutely agree. Novel doesn't necessarily translate to good. His first attempt gained just under $6,000. While $1,300 is pretty good in 12 hours, $19,000 is a long way to go.

If he was appealing to card people alone, I'd question his chances.  But he's also aiming for gamers - if he can find them and make them receptive, he could make it.  But that's a big "if".

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

If he was appealing to card people alone, I'd question his chances.  But he's also aiming for gamers - if he can find them and make them receptive, he could make it.  But that's a big "if".

It's not really even for gamers, in fact the words Playing Card Games puts to mind Go Fish and Old Maid.  Gamers like detailed game cards if they choose to play card games at all, and while this has some complexity, it's just not enough to attract the market.  I'll be at the World Board Gaming Conference this week and I'll poll the folks there to see how receptive they would be to this type of gaming.  But as these are my people, I already know the answer.  However, zombies are still big in gaming so there may be some interest there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:05:51 AM by Alex Willis »
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
Hi everyone!

This is Brian Lee. I received two backers from this site so I thought I would check it out. Thanks so much for posting about my deck. Please let me know if  you have any questions.

I am hoping that with this project, I will be reminding people how fun card games can be. There are a lot of great board games out there but there is just something about a card game, that is what my family played when I was younger. One of my favorites was Tripoly. I have been looking at kickstarter for some time now and there have been a lot of great cards funded, but what are people doing with them? I get the whole collection aspect, I have started doing that as well, especially on decks I think will really be worth something someday, like the Federal 52 and the Name of the Wind cards. But I also like to play with my new "toys".

For this go around, I tried to stick with some familiar mechanics. I use the 21 (Black Jack) game a lot, in fact every game uses in some fashion or another. I wanted people that are already familiar with card games to be able to ease into it a little more. If I am successful, I will make a Volume two, only this time start to bring in some different kinds of mechanics.

I do have a question for you guys. I still have two free cards in the deck. What do you think I should do with them? Ultimately I am going to ask my backers, but maybe I can get a good list of choices from here since you guys are the card experts.

Here is what I was thinking:
Two more Jokers that are the same as the current ones only a little different. Like the Guillotine cutting an Ace of Spades in half.
Two more Jokers only different designs completely
An alternate King of Hearts only have the sword through his head and maybe an alternate King of Spades or other face card
Instruction for a simple card game

Thanks guy

Brian Lee
Warpunk Games

PS. Alex, your icon looks familiar, have you done a deck of cards or other kickstarter project before?

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey, Brian, welcome aboard.

An alternate joker with a guillotine chopping any card is a great magician's reveal card.

For the other card, sure, some game rules work - and make a company ad to go on the back, perhaps even with a QR code steering people to your site.  Better yet, send them to a page that's mobile-friendly and gives more game rules - I'd bet more people have a phone handy than a computer when playing cards!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:08:06 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
Yea I like that idea of the QR code leading to more games.

I don't know how to do any magic tricks but I thought it might be a cool trick to use the guillotine, the Jack of Clubs and the Jack of Hearts in a trick. Note: The Jack of Clubs is holding the Jack of Hearts head.

Maybe have something like guillotine normal and then one with the Jack of Hearts head on it and then a Jack of Clubs holding the head and not. Then a Jack of hearts with his and without.

I don't know, something along those lines, I can make both sides of the cards whatever I want. If someone comes up with an awesome magic trick, I would be happy to work with you.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea I like that idea of the QR code leading to more games.

I don't know how to do any magic tricks but I thought it might be a cool trick to use the guillotine, the Jack of Clubs and the Jack of Hearts in a trick. Note: The Jack of Clubs is holding the Jack of Hearts head.

Maybe have something like guillotine normal and then one with the Jack of Hearts head on it and then a Jack of Clubs holding the head and not. Then a Jack of hearts with his and without.

I don't know, something along those lines, I can make both sides of the cards whatever I want. If someone comes up with an awesome magic trick, I would be happy to work with you.

Well, here's a way to get your trick idea out there - and by the way, it's a good one! - as well as having everything else you want.

Of your two jokers, print one with the chopped Jack of Hearts head in the basket, perhaps some rivulets of blood running down the blade of the guillotine.  For your "standard" Jacks of Hearts and and Clubs plus the two remaining cards, you print:
Jack of Clubs empty-handed,
Jack of Clubs holding Jack of Heart's head,
Jack of Hearts "normal" and
Jack of Hearts beheaded.
Then for the QR code, you can place it on the bottom or sides of the box, or on the inside if you want to get fancy.  Some people have the tuck box interior printed (it costs extra but looks nice) and occasionally I've seen a card reveal printed in there as well.  It's great, because unless you're performing for a deck collector, no one expects ANYTHING to be printed inside the tuck box.  If you are going through the expense, place the QR code high on the inside of the front of the box with a note about finding extra games online at a mobile-friendly website and print a reveal in the box flap.  A card reveal can be ANY card - the idea is for the magician, using sleight of hand and distraction, to make the spectator feel like they had a fair choice when in fact that particular card was forced upon them to pick all along.

For your trick, changing out the two cards could be tricky, but a more novice magician could simply use only one of them if he or she chose to.  It's actually a pretty ingenious idea, one I personally haven't seen before.  Plus, it could be the first deck ever where you could declare no-eyed or four-eyed Jacks wild!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:59:06 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
That sounds great Don, I am going to work on that. I will show you when I get it all done.

Thanks so much for the help, that sounds like it would be really cool. Love the idea of printing on the inside. That may be a stretch goal. As I have it now, pretty much every penny goes toward production of everything. I really don't have any wiggle room on cost until I get past my goal.

Thanks
Brian