You are Here:
New deck on kickstarter--African Heritage Playing Cards

Author (Read 1449 times)

New deck on kickstarter--African Heritage Playing Cards
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »

jackkingoff_suite

• Newcomer
Hey everyone been lurking here for awhile and thought i would post a link to new deck i saw on Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/288287128/sigidi-african-heritage-playing-cards?ref=search

Re: New deck on kickstarter--African Heritage Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums!

While this deck certainly seems interesting, and has a lot of obvious time put into it, I don't think their $25,000 is even close to what they will be getting.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The cards are very custom, if not fully custom which I love! The faces are very cool and creative but the back design is very... eh

The back design is plain and the colors are pretty ugly. And that red border sort of kills it for me.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

jackkingoff_suite

• Newcomer
Welcome to the forums!

While this deck certainly seems interesting, and has a lot of obvious time put into it, I don't think their $25,000 is even close to what they will be getting.
Thanks, and yeah their is no way they will reach their goal when a 1000% better deck like Galvanic couldn't reach a 15 k goal the 1st time.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I think someone should contact the project leader and give him constructive criticism, tell him how he can print for much less, and other opinions of ours. I think this deck deserves to get funded.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think someone should contact the project leader and give him constructive criticism, tell him how he can print for much less, and other opinions of ours. I think this deck deserves to get funded.

Why?  It's not a great deck, and it's of limited appeal.  It's not awful, but the back, the border, the unique pips - they're often the death knell for a deck design, especially one with a limited target audience.  And who on earth is doing the printing?  There's a lot of unknowns, and the whole bad spelling and syntax thing also leaves me wondering.  I'm fairly sure this pass will not succeed, but perhaps it's what the designer needs - gets some experience under his belt and figures out what went wrong in order to make it go right the second time around.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I love thing with cultural artistic value, but unfortunately these will not succeed. I wonder why the goal is 25k?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
 :-[ more trash to hit KS...imo...that is all
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

I think you should be the one to do it Nathan... In fact whatever information you get during that exchange feel free to keep it between yourselves...

I also think I've figured it out... The reason for such a divide in the community in general... Starting a thread about a ridiculous deck like this which shouldn't exist in the first place... Any deck that no one would look twice at - that you'd scroll right by on eBay when looking for a real deck... Just don't post about it... Have you noticed that when a real deck is posted, for the most part it is a positive thread, but when you start posting how this piece of $#!T deck needs to have a discussion group and an advisor to make it better, just stop already... Sorry to speak for everyone once again, but no one really cares at all about this or many other decks that grab the attention of all you ADHD heads out there...

In closing... Stop posting about every single garbage deck that you see... Have a filter... For those of you who love this deck (there's alway one - or on here - two) I don't know what to tell you, but this deck has nothing to do with card collecting, flourishing, magic, or anything really (IMO)... Peace... -J.

Edit: Another thing... Is anyone else just sick of having to look at these dumb@$$ banners six times every time you scroll down a page?  I absolutely know I'm not alone on this... Alex... Curt... You really should take a poll and do something about this... It's ruining the look of your forum... Not just this one (don't get all pi$$y reagan) but all of these ridiculous banners... 69% Voted NO - yet I have to look at it six times because someone with no taste wants to show everyone what exactly???? That you are a walking advertisement for the deck... Remove the banner and get a tattoo on your forehead... A lot more people will see it who matter to you, and I won't have to see it, as well as everyone else who hurts their eyes navigating through these pages... Late night... Good night... Enough Already... You feel the need to post something?  Post a collectible deck of cards at the bottom of your page or a picture of Bar Refaeli playing tennis, but enough of the silly banners already...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:16:31 AM by jmrock »

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
The guy that uses ellipses instead of periods is holding other members to high expectations regarding the appearance of their posts. Thanks for the laugh jmrock.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Very well put JM, I think i  short people should only make a thread about a deck that looks nice, that some people will like. If it is a deck like this, or mystic tycno, or meme, don't post it! anyway I do like the picture you put at the bottom, I think we should use those as our signatures ;) I agree the banners look bad and take up too much room. also Shutupdangit, I think he used the ... because it was kinda a rantish thing.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 03:49:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I think you should be the one to do it Nathan... In fact whatever information you get during that exchange feel free to keep it between yourselves...

I also think I've figured it out... The reason for such a divide in the community in general... Starting a thread about a ridiculous deck like this which shouldn't exist in the first place... Any deck that no one would look twice at - that you'd scroll right by on eBay when looking for a real deck... Just don't post about it... Have you noticed that when a real deck is posted, for the most part it is a positive thread, but when you start posting how this piece of $#!T deck needs to have a discussion group and an advisor to make it better, just stop already... Sorry to speak for everyone once again, but no one really cares at all about this or many other decks that grab the attention of all you ADHD heads out there...

In closing... Stop posting about every single garbage deck that you see... Have a filter... For those of you who love this deck (there's alway one - or on here - two) I don't know what to tell you, but this deck has nothing to do with card collecting, flourishing, magic, or anything really (IMO)... Peace... -J.

Edit: Another thing... Is anyone else just sick of having to look at these dumb@$$ banners six times every time you scroll down a page?  I absolutely know I'm not alone on this... Alex... Curt... You really should take a poll and do something about this... It's ruining the look of your forum... Not just this one (don't get all pi$$y reagan) but all of these ridiculous banners... 69% Voted NO - yet I have to look at it six times because someone with no taste wants to show everyone what exactly? ??? That you are a walking advertisement for the deck... Remove the banner and get a tattoo on your forehead... A lot more people will see it who matter to you, and I won't have to see it, as well as everyone else who hurts their eyes navigating through these pages... Late night... Good night... Enough Already... You feel the need to post something?  Post a collectible deck of cards at the bottom of your page or a picture of Bar Refaeli playing tennis, but enough of the silly banners already...

First, JMRock - that photo should be a freakin' meme!  Me likey!

But get off your high horse.  If he wants to post about a crap deck, no one is forcing you to open the topic page and read it.  Last time I checked, Alex didn't appoint you Minister of Censorship and Propaganda.  If his banner offends you so much, get one of those image filters for your browser and you'll never have to see it again.  A topic could be about a deck that's a steaming turd, but some people around here seem to enjoy talking about steaming turds.  What gives you the right to tell them they can't?

On the other side of the coin - Nathan, if a designer comes on here and wants opinions, great; we'll all give him an earful, I'm sure.  But if they aren't here, why do you feel it necessary to chase them down and tell them how to do their business?  It's not much better than JMRock telling you what you should and shouldn't do, is it?  If they have some kind of forum or whatever, some means of accepting comment, knock yourself out, but otherwise, if you think it's so bad, don't buy it, or make one like it that blows it out of the water.

Nathan, it's not an easy thing to design a deck, and this deck is targeted to the black community, people who have a heritage in Africa.  Are you even part of that target audience?  Can you imagine what it would look like from their point of view to have some kid who's not even part of their heritage and has never designed his own deck telling them how to make and sell theirs?  If it was me, and you stood in front of me telling me that, I might punch you in the face and break your jaw just to shut you up.

To sum up, Nathan, it's better to be invited before sticking your nose in someone else's business.

Very well put JM, I think i  short people should only make a thread about a deck that looks nice, that some people will like. If it is a deck like this, or mystic tycno, or meme, don't post it! anyway I do like the picture you put at the bottom, I think we should use those as our signatures ;) I agree the banners look bad and take up too much room. also Shutupdangit, I think he used the ... because it was kinda a rantish thing.

Honestly, do you know what all the people here like?  Who determines what's "nice" and what isn't?   More to the point, Aaron, where do you get off telling others what they should and shouldn't post?  Same thing applies to you that I said to JMRock above.  This is an open forum, with the only true censorship being that all are asked to stay on topic and contribute meaningfully.  Furthermore, you're bitching about one guy's banner by saying that it takes up too much room, but proposing that a photo of a semi-nude tennis player that's more than twice as big be used as everybody's signature?  My bullshit detector just hit eleven on that comment...

Everybody, either discuss this deck on its merits or lack thereof, or continue this crap in the LOLAQ.  Stop with the personal jibes and other bullshit, because it was stale from the first post and hasn't gotten the least bit fresher.  Rant away to your heart's content in the LOLAQ about whatever crap you wish, like whether you think so-and-so should shut up, who smells worse than who, who is ugly, whose mother dresses them funny and all the other childish nonsense - this isn't the place.  Nathan is not a PLAYING CARD, and this is the PLAYING CARD PLETHORA.

Lastly, and I mean this sincerely - anything I said above is NOT a personal attack.  I am attacking your actions, not you as a person - there is a world of difference.

Sorry, but I needed to get that out of my system.  Please continue discussing the deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Did anyone actually read the KS?  It doesn't have much to do with playing cards; that's a very small part of it.  What it is, is bullshit.  Posters and information packs, that kinda thing.  It's not for us.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks for the laughs guys... Good stuff... But that's the point exactly... It shouldn't have been posted in the first place... And Don, I think I did say (IMO) somewhere in there... hahaha.... Now let's get back to playing some tennis...

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Its nice that they are making playing cards an educational tool. But I think that if they had some form or artistic help from people from the playing card world they would have been able to make a better deck design that will appeal more to the general public and also reach out to the die hard card collectors and what not.

If this deck does not get funded, I hope they will strive to make it better on its second kickstarter run and maybe get some advice from people who knows.

it has potential, this African Heritage deck.

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I honestly don't think this deck fits in our collections, but I think it is an interesting subject and it would be a shame for it not to be funded.