intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Re: SCALA. Architecture Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I like the style on this one quite a bit, I ended up backing for a pair.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I wonder who is printing it.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:59:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

It says in the project page - Heraclio Fournier, S.A.; a wholly-owned subsidiary of USPC.  In addition to making the all-plastic Bicycle Prestige and Karnival Death Heads Armour Edition, they make many fine-quality paper decks, including Lee Asher's signature deck, the Fournier 605s.

Ordinarily I'd say "stay away from this deck" just from a functionality perspective - horizontal indices with values and suits reversed, unique faces all printed into the bleed area, a one-way back design, mismatching of the suit color pairs (spades and hearts in black, clubs and diamonds in white)...

But in this case, that matter a hell of a lot less than the fact that the deck's true purpose is to show off the art and design of architecture.  Art decks can be given a fair amount of leeway because they're often not meant so much to be played as to be a pocket-sized stack of something beautiful to look at.  If you happen to like the artistic style, do you really care about the rest?  Probably not.

I will drop these guys a line with some suggestions - they're planning to use the KS profits above what's needed for making and shipping the first print run for making their NEXT print run.  But I am seriously wondering how they managed to get a print run from Fournier so cheaply - most people who've tried before have said here that it's prohibitively expensive.  Are they back-loading the extra expense into the shipping costs?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

It says in the project page - Heraclio Fournier, S.A.; a wholly-owned subsidiary of USPC.  In addition to making the all-plastic Bicycle Prestige and Karnival Death Heads Armour Edition, they make many fine-quality paper decks, including Lee Asher's signature deck, the Fournier 605s.

Ahhh, 5 days ago, they hadn't yet settled on a printer yet (just in case you thought I couldn't read, lol):

"We have already made contact with two renowned card printing companies, the final choce relaying in the amount of backers by the end of the campaign. In every case, they will be printed in Europe."

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:55:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Ahhh, 5 days ago, they hadn't yet settled on a printer yet (just in case you thought I couldn't read, lol):

"We have already made contact with two renowned card printing companies, the final choce relaying in the amount of backers by the end of the campaign. In every case, they will be printed in Europe."

Well, I'd hope you can read - you write for the club's monthly magazine!  :))

I've been in contact with the creators and have offered them a free consultation - I really like the design.  I'm hoping to set it up for either Friday or Monday, though they are rather busy right now (apparently it's a festival week in their region).  They mentioned that they were able to make a deal for a VERY short print run after pleading their case to Fournier.  Hopefully, this means that Fournier will be more interested in entering the custom playing card print business in a bigger way.  The few times I've heard of people considering them, they were telling me that Fournier was too costly, but I haven't heard anything recently except for these folks so it's possible there's been some changes made.  I know it's not cheap to have them make decks for you and ship them to North America - it's part of why the Fournier 605s cost what they cost - but even European designers I'd spoken to said it was a good quality company but just out of their price range.  I'm guessing that was because of high-volume print run requirements.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/