• Discourse Royalty
Interesting indeed.. but the price is rather expensive for MPC deck.. :o
Back for more

Re: Jack in the Green
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'm going to ask a crazy question, because I'm still new to playing card collecting. What's the deal with MPC cards? Everyone seems to dislike them.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:03:13 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Lets say they are not up to the standard that magicians and cardists liked. Apparently they are great to print prototype decks since they are able to print small number of decks.
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:59 AM »

Paul Ruccio

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'm going to ask a crazy question, because I'm still new to playing card collecting. What's the deal with MPC cards? Everyone seems to dislike them.

They're getting better but like HankMan said, they're not up to the standard. MPC is a great resource to print one off decks (prototypes) or smaller runs but will lack the overall quality of USPCC or LPCC / EPCC.

Paul Ruccio
Jetsetter Playing Cards
www.jetsetterplayingcards.com
- - - - -
High-class products and playing cards for the aviation, travel, and playing card enthusiasts around the globe.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Interesting indeed.. but the price is rather expensive for MPC deck.. :o

It's a little costly, but considering prices these days, they're not the worst.  MPC is better, especially for artistic decks, than it used to be, and the per-deck cost decreases when you buy more, so it's not a bad deal.

The question is far from crazy.  They used to have issues with color reproduction and stock quality.  The stock has improved, the printing has become more accurate.  They're popular for prototyping because you can make a print run of a single deck for a pittance compared to USPC, which charges in the mid-three figures.  But the biggest remaining issue is actually the result of what the company must have thought at the time was an upgrade.  They switched from using die-cutting to punch their cards out to using a laser cutter.  Sounds all cool and high-tech, but die-cutting creates a beveled edge that allows for weave and faro shuffling.  Their laser creates a straight-cut edge, perfectly flat, making such shuffles impossible.  In theory, it should be possible to use the laser to cut at an angle, but I honestly couldn't say how difficult that would be, beyond "harder than just doing the default."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/