You are Here:
[ISO] Uusi Gilded Decks

Author (Read 1816 times)

[ISO] Uusi Gilded Decks
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I'm very interested in the following Uusi gilded decks if ANYBODY wants or has to sell. I know i'll probably hear crickets or "Good luck with THAT"..lol  :(.. but if you dont ask...you'll never know

Uusi Bohemia.. Red & Blue decks
Uusi Royal Optic Black & red decks
Uusi Blueblood redux
and especially... Uusi Pagan..Light & Dark decks

I'm in the US and am willing to pay a fair price... Thanks!!

Re: [ISO] Uusi Gilded Decks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
some of the gilded decks you mentioned are still available from UUSI website.
Gilded LE Bohemia is still available at $180
Pagan Series Light and Dark are available for $150/each
Back for more

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:06:36 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Howdy Hank... nice to hear from you.. I've been on Uusi's website many times.. a few minutes ago in fact... the gilded versions are all sold out... the only ones that i can see that are available are the Copper edged Pagan decks..??? am i missing something??

Cheers... Colin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:26 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:41:02 AM by HankMan »
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hi Hank... thanks for the heads up... The copper edged Pagans are available to me also... I'm just looking for the Gold edged versions... I'm going to keep them in mind though in case all my efforts fail in finding the Gold edged versions... >:(

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
ah you only wants the Gold edges.. well did you get the bohemia?
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Those Bohemias are rather special.  They were originally a misprint for sorts - Uusi contracted with USPC for embossed paper for the tuck boxes and USPC shipped smooth ones, which they ordered to be redone.  They must have saved a small number of the smooth-textured tuck decks and used them for this.

It's going to be TOUGH in the extreme to obtain those decks, and I mean tougher than pretty much any other modern deck you've ever collected.  They were made in editions of only 50 packs each for worldwide distribution.  50 decks for six billion-plus people...  They're possibly the rarest of any modern limited editions I've ever seen.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hey Hank and Don... I already "pulled the trigger" on the Bohemia deck.. :)... love Uusi's decks... Don, I watched your Video review concerning the sturdiness of the gold edged Pagan deck, all the while going AAAHHH!!!! ...I can't find one.... and he's going all "Gorilla with a Samsonite suitcase" on it!!!!!  lmao...thanks to both of you for the answers and tips... ;)

PS: I'm Also looking for the Classic Blue Silver gilt edge and the BrUt gold edged Poker deck...  and the search goes on.....and on...and on.... :D

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Only we over 40 people will MAYBE get the "Gorilla with a Samsonite" reference...lol  ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Only we over 40 people will MAYBE get the "Gorilla with a Samsonite" reference...lol  ;)

You'd be surprised - some people watch classic TV ads on YouTube for lack of anything better to do...  :))

The gilding does hold up exceptionally well to use.  Uusi gave me that deck with the express intent of showing people how cool they look when used for actual playing, while fully recognizing that the vast majority of their gilded decks will never be opened.  Peter and Linnea have gilded decks that they play cards with and they love how cool they look - and I can see why.  But the process to make them is phenomenally hard, because they do it by a very high-quality method, hence the high retail price and ye-gods-know how much they'll cost in the aftermarket, assuming you'll ever find a pack.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 12:13:45 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Don... Classic TV puts to shame most, not all, of the MINDLESS pap that serves as entertainment on TV today..  :).... As to Gold edged decks... I agree that they are very durable if done right. I collect Pre-1930 decks and approx 60% of the decks in my collection are Gold edged. Of course the process was a lot cheaper to do back then, as opposed to today which i find quite prohibitive as far as collecting goes... Unless one has the $$$ to burn & a very quick Kickstarter Finger.. ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don... Classic TV puts to shame most, not all, of the MINDLESS pap that serves as entertainment on TV today..  :).... As to Gold edged decks... I agree that they are very durable if done right. I collect Pre-1930 decks and approx 60% of the decks in my collection are Gold edged. Of course the process was a lot cheaper to do back then, as opposed to today which i find quite prohibitive as far as collecting goes... Unless one has the $$$ to burn & a very quick Kickstarter Finger.. ;)

Not ALL classic TV is as good as you remember it, trust me...  And I was referring to the advertisements, which were even worse!  There were some great shows, to be sure, but there were some serious clunkers, as well.  You don't remember them as well because many of them never made it into syndication - in television, there's something called the "golden number" - it's the minimum number of episodes needed for a show to make it into syndication for local TV stations.  That minimum number is 65, allowing a local station to broadcast it five times a week for at least 13 weeks.  If a show didn't run for three seasons (back when a season meant approximately 26 episodes, plus or minus a few), it never made it into syndication on local stations.  In today's market, with so many cable network channels to fill with programming, it's a little easier to syndicate a shorter show, but the demand's still not very high, especially when a show is bad enough.

I've seen a few photos of the gilding process.  Peter takes little flakes of gold that are so light, they float in the air when released from his tweezers, and glues them to the edge of a deck being held in a vise.  They have to be applied very carefully - a single wrong move ruins an entire deck and wastes some very expensive 23.5k gold foil.  That's part of the expense, right there - he's not using a gold look-alike, he's using nearly-pure gold.  It's a highly labor-intensive process.  Even back in the day, I don't think it was as difficult as the process he uses - there's no way they would have been produced in the numbers that they were, not without hiring an army of gilders.