You are Here:
A Favorite Transformation Deck - Murphy Varnish

Author (Read 5949 times)

A Favorite Transformation Deck - Murphy Varnish
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
Although there have been many wonderful Transformation decks published for over 200 years, the Murphy Varnish deck ranks at the top of  the best ever decks.  Published in 1879 it features amazing, clever court cards, great transformed pip cards (the pips on the front of the card have been incorporated into the design of the card).  It qualifies in the Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards as not only a Transformation deck but also as an advertising deck as there are advertising slogans for Murphy Varnish on almost every card.  Perhaps there are members out there in Discourseland who can share other Transformation decks with us.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:13:51 PM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

Re: A Favorite Transformation Deck - Murphy Varnish
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
One of my all time favorites alongside the Tiffany Harlequin Deck… One day I hope to look down in my hand and smile before putting them away in my collection…  :karrit:

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:14:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Although there have been many wonderful Transformation decks published for over 200 years, the Murphy Varnish deck ranks at the top of  the best ever decks.  Published in 1879 it features amazing, clever court cards, great transformed pip cards (the pips on the front of the card have been incorporated into the design of the card).  It qualifies in the Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards as not only a Transformation deck but also as an advertising deck as there are advertising slogans for Murphy Varnish on almost every card.  Perhaps there are members out there in Discourseland who can share other Transformation decks with us.

I still remember seeing a card from this deck on the cover of "Clear the Decks" not too long ago.  I thought it was interesting, the many ways they advertised their product - it's practically invasive!

I have a favorite deck designer, Emmanuel Jose, who's had one semi-transformation deck printed with two more in the wings.  You've probably heard of him and his decks - he uses giant images made of cut paper as art pieces, then has them copied and reduced to print them as playing cards.

The Curator Deck - into its second print run.  No specific theme other than the medium itself.
Clipped Wings - coming soon to Kickstarter.  Bird-themed.  I had the honor of naming the deck for him!
Sawdust - third in the series, awaiting print.  Circus-themed.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:

I still remember seeing a card from this deck on the cover of "Clear the Decks" not too long ago.  I thought it was interesting, the many ways they advertised their product - it's practically invasive!

I have a favorite deck designer, Emmanuel Jose, who's had one semi-transformation deck printed with two more in the wings.  You've probably heard of him and his decks - he uses giant images made of cut paper as art pieces, then has them copied and reduced to print them as playing cards.

The Curator Deck - into its second print run.  No specific theme other than the medium itself.
Clipped Wings - coming soon to Kickstarter.  Bird-themed.  I had the honor of naming the deck for him!

Mr. Jose is the subject of the FACT SHEET this coming CTD.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:26:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Mr. Jose is the subject of the FACT SHEET this coming CTD.

I seem to recall you mentioning that!  :))  He's definitely a good choice.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I absolutely love transformation decks.  Its sad that I only own 1 so far. The Emmanuel Jose  "Curator".

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
My god look at those itty bitty indices.   

If you could get Emmanuel Jose to come to the next convention that might be in time for his 4th deck "Delicious" to debut .  He really does take his time and I do enjoy watching his progress.  https://www.facebook.com/victor.e?fref=ts     I think he would be a fine addition and would sell many decks at the convention.  Maybe, he could be shown lots of old transformation decks and be influenced to make a true modern transformation deck not just a semi.   He is by far the best modern semi-transformation artists out there.  When was the last time a true transformation deck was made?   

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:17 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Thank you HeartQ for this beautiful scan :) This deck is simply a pure wonder !! I hope to find a copy one day..
A few months ago or the last year, a copy was sold on eBay for approximately $2000. There was a box, the joker and the deck was in Near Mint condition. If another opportunity should arise, I shall try to bid..

Currently, the only transformation deck which I have in my collection is the Vanity Fair #41 and I must admit that I love it, especially the green back with the clowns of this copy, and I find that all the transformed cards are surprising and charming.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:51:45 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Just wanted to post another wonderful transformation deck.. This is called "Eclipse Comic Playing Cards" it was published in 1876 by F.H. Lowerre, New York. It is considered the first true transformation deck published in the United States. It is not as clever as most of the European Transformation Decks or the latter US Transformation decks, but it is still a beautiful deck and pretty hard to come by. It was also the first transformation deck issued with a joker. My deck came in a great, period box that was made specifically for "Playing Cards".. I've pictured the back and front

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here is the back of the box..

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
lets try this again... here is the back of the box...

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Beautiful deck!

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Thank you Lee!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:52 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
The box is a beautiful discovery for me and the presentation of the cards on your photos is really pleasant!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:28:17 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Some of my favorite new transformation decks have been created by Elaine Lewis and Karl Gerich.

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:47 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I love Elaine Lewis' &  Karl Gerich's decks ..wonderful artwork.. both are very talented. Does Karl still make any decks??

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I love Elaine Lewis' &  Karl Gerich's decks ..wonderful artwork.. both are very talented. Does Karl still make any decks??
Don't believe he has made any for several years. There is one in our Club auction coming up this spring!!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Looks like Michael Scott is thinking about creating a restoration of the Murphy's Varnish deck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500444958/1876-mauger-quadruplicate-playing-card-restoration/posts/1216843?ref=backer_project_update

/bama