You are Here:
Incorrect Bicycle Oak Leaf Back Auction?

Author (Read 9196 times)

Incorrect Bicycle Oak Leaf Back Auction?
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:02:43 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Although the auction has ended, I am quite certain that this deck was misrepresented in the auction in a number of ways…
1) The deck is referred to as an Oak Leaf back, when in fact it is actually a plain Leaf back refer to pics of an actual Oak Leaf back…
2) It should be noted that even though this is a Leaf back deck, in this case, the Ace and Joker belong to a deck other than a Bicycle brand deck of cards; perhaps a Bee deck, Uncle Sam deck, or other deck that shared the same back, but was called a different name… Thus, the box pictured did not actually belong to the deck shown…

Re: Incorrect Bicycle Oak Leaf Back Auction?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I was actually watching this J and just didn't feel 100% on it. Getting this kind of info and feedback is great. I didn't catch the Ace at all, good eye.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:59:36 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:13:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, there's no denying that the back of the card at least seems to match the back on the box.  This could be a case of what I feared would happen eventually - counterfeiters printing forged vintage decks.  It was only a matter of time after the Jerry's Nugget deck forgeries.

BTW: the first image doesn't match the third - different card backs in each.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

CardConjurer

• Newcomer
  • Taylor Bomarito
Unfortunately, you are both incorrect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271371038172?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

This is 100% authentic; I've had this deck for over 10 years. Both photos in my auction belong to the same deck of cards. It is the same box. The ace and jokers both have the same back design. I will take a video of the deck, or post more photos if either of you are interested. Let me know soon, as I may ship it out tomorrow.

I've been buying and selling vintage playing cards for over 10 years, I can assure you that I have never sold anything counterfeit or misrepresented an auction.

Lucky bidder, whoever won. Evidently this must be quite a rare deck.

EDIT: As you all know, USPC wasn't completely systematic. Lot's of oddities have existed over the years (i.e. a Leaf Back referred to as an Oak Leaf Back, or a different AOS being used than was typical). Thank you for waiting until after the auction ended to express your opinion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:28:27 AM by CardConjurer »
--
Taylor Bomarito

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'm no expert at this at all, but I do believe that that is an Uncle Sam deck of cards. Back, joker and AoS is Uncle Sam playing cards.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:44 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So just read the entire thread. What are the conclusions?. Is that an Uncle Sam deck in a bicycle oak leaf back box?  By looking at the back of the tuck box, the backs seem to match...Is the Oak back leaf deck the exact same as the uncle Sam?  This  is becoming interesting

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Card Conjurer… This is not a personal attack on you, but rather I am just trying to get to the bottom of this situation… No one is accusing you of knowingly misrepresenting an item, as I'm sure it happens accidentally more times than one may think (and I'm sure not by accident  also more times than one may think)…  I do indeed find it odd that the box clearly has a pic on the back of what is clearly not an Oak Leaf back, but is labeled "Oak Leaf…"  The deck, however, is another story… I do believe that this is not a Bicycle deck, as there is no Bicycle Joker or Bicycle Ace of Spades… Perhaps Mr. Dawson could weigh in on this debate…

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Also, why would a box saying oak leaf back have a normal leaf back design? Card conjurer, if you don't mind making a short video displaying the front and back of the tuck, AoS and joker please?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »

CardConjurer

• Newcomer
  • Taylor Bomarito
Card Conjurer… This is not a personal attack on you, but rather I am just trying to get to the bottom of this situation…

Sorry I was a bit quick to take offense.

Also, why would a box saying oak leaf back have a normal leaf back design? Card conjurer, if you don't mind making a short video displaying the front and back of the tuck, AoS and joker please?

I'll take a video when I get off work.

I bought this deck so long ago, I don't remember where I got it. One thing I do know, is that I didn't buy it from a collector or a magician. That makes me think that this deck might not be in a different box. That, coupled with the fact that the back design was named different than usual, makes me believe this.

ALTHOUGH, the deck has a G-1945 AOS code, which is evidently 2 years before the Leaf Back Bicycle design began. The Uncle Sam decks were produced in the early 40's (incl. 1945). So, it may be that the actual deck is an Uncle Sam deck.

The other possibility, is that this back design began earlier than previously thought, with a different name which was later changed. Since the deck was produced in 1945 (the same year the war ended), it may be possible that this deck was made earlier than the box, and a new box was created to match the deck which was originally printed as an Uncle Sam deck. I'm making the assumption that Uncle Sam decks were not printed after the war's end.

Anyways - I'm not sure we'll be able to come to any more certainty, but perhaps Mr. Dawson could weigh in.

Anyways, I will post the video a little later tonight.
--
Taylor Bomarito

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
OK preliminary weighin!
This ace and joker were quite common in USPC generic decks and certain of their cheaper brands after WWII. This deck is clearly of that period and authentic. The box refers to the company that makes Bicycle - a reasonable marketing effort to add credibility. Now I can't see the pix as I write this but I think the back was not an attempt to pass it off as a Bike rather just using a design they liked and would sell. Many backs were use for several brands, e.g. Angel back.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
I am sure that this is a case of the wrong deck in a bike box as USPC would never have used a bicycle box of that period for anything other than a bike deck. That back was definitely used for other brands c1940.  Up until a few years ago USPC were incredible protective of their bicycle brand - that has definitely changed!
Judy Dawson

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »

CardConjurer

• Newcomer
  • Taylor Bomarito
Below is a link to a video showing the deck.

Let me know what ya'll think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6gPPJRBchY
--
Taylor Bomarito

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Below is a link to a video showing the deck.

Let me know what ya'll think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6gPPJRBchY

Thanks for taking the time to shoot that vid Taylor!

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
What we seem to have is a Leaf back in a box with the Leaf back pictured on the back of a box which says Oak Leaf Back. It is also the correct deck for the Uncle Sam deck pictured by Nurul. The original Oak Leaf back (pictured as #82 ) in a seperate post is the rare one and likely only issued for a short time in the last part of the 19th century. We only know of a couple of these. We have one and Joe, we think, has one. Maybe a few others around but..........
Someone referred to Mrs Robinson's book - indeed she only discussed and pictured 81 backs and clearly was unaware of the Oak Leaf at the time of writing in the 1950's.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Taylor… Glad to see you join here… Didn't know that was you… Why does everyone keep changing up their screen names or was it UC or eBay I knew you from?  Anyways… Good to see you posting here…

Tom… So what's the verdict?  Have you ever seen a Bicycle Deck appear without the Bicycle AoS or Bicycle Joker?

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
What we seem to have is a Leaf back in a box with the Leaf back pictured on the back of a box which says Oak Leaf Back. It is also the correct deck for the Uncle Sam deck pictured by Nurul. The original Oak Leaf back (pictured as #82 ) in a seperate post is the rare one and likely only issued for a short time in the last part of the 19th century. We only know of a couple of these. We have one and Joe, we think, has one. Maybe a few others around but..........
Someone referred to Mrs Robinson's book - indeed she only discussed and pictured 81 backs and clearly was unaware of the Oak Leaf at the time of writing in the 1950's.
More info from Judy. She reminded me that it was Gene Hochman who found the first deck known as Oak Leaf which he sold to us. There was no box but it was a very early Bicycle and at that time the back names were not put on the boxes. We have never seen it listed in a catalogue or sample folder/book so no name can be attributed to it by USPC who do not have it themselves in their archives/collection. It was Gene Hochman who decided to call it "Oak Leaf " because of its appearance. Therefore what USPC called Oak Leaf in the 1940's was not the same back as what is now considered #82 Oak Leaf. Finally, what Mrs Robinson called Leaf may well have really been what USPC called Oak Leaf in the 1940's. A mystery and we have some ideas for further detective work on this intriguing question.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Taylor… Glad to see you join here… Didn't know that was you… Why does everyone keep changing up their screen names or was it UC or eBay I knew you from?  Anyways… Good to see you posting here…

Tom… So what's the verdict?  Have you ever seen a Bicycle Deck appear without the Bicycle AoS or Bicycle Joker?
Neither Judy or I have ever seen a Bicycle deck with a generic Ace or Joker. As the Leaf back seems to have been called Oak Leaf by USPC in their 1940-50 period Bicycle decks, it is from our view, based on what we have seen, an Uncle Sam/generic deck in a Bicycle box with the same back.
More on this tomorrow.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Neither Judy or I have ever seen a Bicycle deck with a generic Ace or Joker. As the Leaf back seems to have been called Oak Leaf by USPC in their 1940-50 period Bicycle decks, it is from our view, based on what we have seen, an Uncle Sam/generic deck in a Bicycle box with the same back.
More on this tomorrow.

That's what I think… However, I am still perplexed as to why the box states, "Oak Leaf Back," when it is indeed an ordinary "Leaf Back…" Is this as Taylor states?  Did USPC make such errors in the past? If so, do these errors become more valuable?  Thanks for your thoughts and to help clarify…

To expand on the previous thought, have there been any known errors in USPC history that have impacted the value of that particular deck?

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Unfortunately, you are both incorrect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271371038172?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

This is 100% authentic; I've had this deck for over 10 years. Both photos in my auction belong to the same deck of cards. It is the same box. The ace and jokers both have the same back design. I will take a video of the deck, or post more photos if either of you are interested. Let me know soon, as I may ship it out tomorrow.

I've been buying and selling vintage playing cards for over 10 years, I can assure you that I have never sold anything counterfeit or misrepresented an auction.

Lucky bidder, whoever won. Evidently this must be quite a rare deck.

EDIT: As you all know, USPC wasn't completely systematic. Lot's of oddities have existed over the years (i.e. a Leaf Back referred to as an Oak Leaf Back, or a different AOS being used than was typical). Thank you for waiting until after the auction ended to express your opinion.

Trust me - it's never unfortunate when I'm incorrect.  It gives me a chance to learn the truth!

I see what happened in regards to my assumption.  The first image wasn't a part of your auction page, but I didn't know this and assumed it was.  Thanks for posting the link so I could see for myself.

This is strictly conjecture, but it looks like what you have here is a case of mixed decks.  The simplest explanation is more often than not the correct one, and the simplest one I can come up with would be that someone owned a pack of Uncle Sam and a pack of what USPC was referring to as the "Oak Leaf Back", but known in Mrs. Robinson's as the Leaf back - and possibly many other packs.  Game night takes place, perhaps the two decks were combined for a two-deck game or to create a pinochle deck (perfectly logical, since the backs are the same style and color), then when separated, the wrong AoS and jokers went into the Bicycle box.

Suffice it to say, they're not counterfeits!  Thanks for bringing this to us, Jonathan - gotta love a mystery!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:35:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I've seen this situation before! Last year I purchased a deck off eBay with the same Bicycle oak leaf box pictured above. The auction did not display the AoS or jokers only the box and a stack of cards. Upon receiving the item I opened it to find cards with the correct back but with this same non bicycle ace and same joker as above. I immediately sent it back to the seller for a refund.  Wish I could still pull up the eBay transaction but it is long gone.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Thanks Josh - interesting...
Tom Dawson

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
More info from Judy. She reminded me that it was Gene Hochman who found the first deck known as Oak Leaf which he sold to us. There was no box but it was a very early Bicycle and at that time the back names were not put on the boxes. We have never seen it listed in a catalogue or sample folder/book so no name can be attributed to it by USPC who do not have it themselves in their archives/collection. It was Gene Hochman who decided to call it "Oak Leaf " because of its appearance. Therefore what USPC called Oak Leaf in the 1940's was not the same back as what is now considered #82 Oak Leaf. Finally, what Mrs Robinson called Leaf may well have really been what USPC called Oak Leaf in the 1940's. A mystery and we have some ideas for further detective work on this intriguing question.
As promised here is a scan of the original Bicycle deck that was named Oak Leaf by Gene Hochman. This is the first Bicycle Ace and Joker and the deck is 1885-89. It is US8a in Hochman Encyclopedia.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:33:42 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
That is some next level stuff there. I hope to one day own a single deck that is half as impressive as this.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

More on this tomorrow.
Latest information and my last post on this subject. Email from an eminent Bicycle collector
"based on my experience, the Oak Leaf deck did indeed come with the generic Uncle Sam ace and joker in a Bicycle box. I also have two MS Oak Leaf decks that I might steam open to see if I can provide any more information. I also have a US8c joker and a US8c pinochle deck. I don't know why Mrs. Robinson called this deck simply "Leaf" as I have never seen any evidence that it was ever called anything other than "Oak Leaf" by USPCC"
Tom Dawson

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »

CardConjurer

• Newcomer
  • Taylor Bomarito
I've seen this situation before! Last year I purchased a deck off eBay with the same Bicycle oak leaf box pictured above. The auction did not display the AoS or jokers only the box and a stack of cards. Upon receiving the item I opened it to find cards with the correct back but with this same non bicycle ace and same joker as above. I immediately sent it back to the seller for a refund.  Wish I could still pull up the eBay transaction but it is long gone.

Maybe there is more of a possibility that these two decks were in-fact in the correct boxes. Does anyone here own a Bicycle Oak Leaf c. 1940's deck with a Bicycle ace of spades?
--
Taylor Bomarito