D&D-Created Magic Documentary (KS)

Author (Read 9144 times)

Re: D&D evil kickstarter project...
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Honestly, they didn't need Kickstarter to do this.  Even if they didn't have the funds, their loyal customers would have done the funding for them, no middleman taking a cut.

Having said that, the fact that this is a project meant to reach a broader audience than the usual band of card-floppers made using Kickstarter a smart move for broadened exposure - more specifically, exposure outside of the magic community.

I'm just interested in seeing if this thing will ever get a full-blown theatrical release.  If it did, even for a brief time on a single screen somewhere in the US, it would be eligible for Oscar nomination.  Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video was released in a single California movie theater as a short subject before the movie Fantasia for one week in 1983 in order to become eligible - it didn't win any Oscars.  I think the minimum release time has to be one week.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I don't see this project that bad. Other than those with mixed decisions about D&D using Kickstarter for funds, I don't find it that bad. For only $2, you get a signed card from the Producers, and for $25, you get that, access to their website, and a digital copy of the film. Seeing as standard movie sell now for $20, I think it's a nice idea. D&D's planning to use Kickstarter to, not only reach out to their magic friends, but also to others curious of the art. Interesting take in my opinion.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Completely dissapointed...

Also they don't need the kickstarted funding...
Form Follows Function

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I am looking forward to the project, it's nice to see something different than a deck of cards from D&D. It doesn't really matter to me whether they went for a kickstarter or not as long as the finished product is done well. I guess it makes it feel more of a community project rather than just a D&D project by doing some fundraising.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:08:09 AM by Curt »

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
On the use of KickStarter-

I'm guessing that producing a good quality film is a fairly high risk investment and having already released the unreal project for their fans, is it not safe to say that this is a genuine attempt to share some of the beauty of the craft with a wider audience?

Calling the documentary 'Our Magic' and using KickStarter is surely a fantastic way for the community to prove their support, in recognition of the value of the content. Weather or not it could have been privately funded has little bearing on my decision to support the project.

If you love and appreciate magic then you have probably always wanted others to get the chance to see just how wonderful it is. This isn't an easy task and I'm grateful for the twins' hard work, knowledge and access. Asking magicians for their support in this way seems completely appropriate in that this project should be a gift from magicians to the public rather than from the twins to their fans.

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
On the use of KickStarter-

I'm guessing that producing a good quality film is a fairly high risk investment and having already released the unreal project for their fans, is it not safe to say that this is a genuine attempt to share some of the beauty of the craft with a wider audience?

Calling the documentary 'Our Magic' and using KickStarter is surely a fantastic way for the community to prove their support, in recognition of the value of the content. Weather or not it could have been privately funded has little bearing on my decision to support the project.

If you love and appreciate magic then you have probably always wanted others to get the chance to see just how wonderful it is. This isn't an easy task and I'm grateful for the twins' hard work, knowledge and access. Asking magicians for their support in this way seems completely appropriate in that this project should be a gift from magicians to the public rather than from the twins to their fans.

Yeah and if you watched the video on the Kickstarter page (which sounds like you did), you get the feeling it's the community of magicians as a whole that presents this through the work of the twins putting it together. I still believe the use of Kickstarter might not be a necessity, but it is a good decision to get magicians that want this documentary made, and non-magicians who want to see this documentary to support the project.

It looks exciting and looks like it'll be good! I can't wait, that's for sure.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Ridiculous 3 days and a lot of blind people and they get funded -_-

Such a shame...
Form Follows Function

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
i think they are just trying to make more fans. the current playing card community is pretty angry with their releases with S&M. it's time to let go the old and angry fans and make new ones.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i think they are just trying to make more fans. the current playing card community is pretty angry with their releases with S&M. it's time to let go the old and angry fans and make new ones.

You and Hecrob are talking about this like it's a crappy new deck release.  It's not.

It's not about old fans or new fans.  It's a documentary that's meant to attract people from OUTSIDE of the community as well as inside.  If they kept it on their own website and self-funded it (a costly proposition, but maybe they could afford it), it would end up interesting no one beyond the people who traffic their site, a narrow sliver of the potential audience.  This way, they get people who are merely curious about magic, no nothing about magic but think it's cool (or kewl, depending on how old they are) are magic fanatics but never looked into being magicians and never saw the behind-the-scenes goings-on, etc.

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular
This project is so powered by high roller fanboys.

The highest pledge tiers ($1,000, $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000) are currently responsible for more than 60% of their pledge total.

If it wasn't for those 8 extravagant backers, they wouldn't even have reached 20k by now.

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This project is so powered by high roller fanboys.

The highest pledge tiers ($1,000, $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000) are currently responsible for more than 60% of their pledge total.

If it wasn't for those 8 extravagant backers, they wouldn't even have reached 20k by now.

How do you know that it was fanboys that pledged?  Have you interviewed them?  It could as easily have been magicians that want in on the project and (depending on the pledge level) will end up getting in the credits.  This is a major event for the magic world.

You do get that this project isn't so much about the Twins as it is about magic as a trade and craft, right?  It's a topic of interest to ALL magicians - and a healthy percentage of the non-magician population as well.

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
How do you know that it was fanboys that pledged?  Have you interviewed them?

Chill, dude. I was just joking by that 'fanboy' thing.

At first I thought of responding to your post by saying I've sent out surveys to those people and they all told me they are indeed D&D fanboys, but that could be taken seriously and you would demand an explanation on how I managed to contact them, etc., so, never mind.

Still, I'm serious about the part where I mentioned 8 guys (whomever they may be, lol). If it wasn't for their lavish pledges, this project wouldn't be even 50% funded by now.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
How do you know that it was fanboys that pledged?  Have you interviewed them?

Chill, dude. I was just joking by that 'fanboy' thing.

At first I thought of responding to your post by saying I've sent out surveys to those people and they all told me they are indeed D&D fanboys, but that could be taken seriously and you would demand an explanation on how I managed to contact them, etc., so, never mind.

Still, I'm serious about the part where I mentioned 8 guys (whomever they may be, lol). If it wasn't for their lavish pledges, this project wouldn't be even 50% funded by now.

Yeah, true enough.  But more projects than you may realize become successful because of a small number of people stepping up with significantly larger pledges.

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just saying that the topic's name should really be changed. In my opinion, it's not 'evil' in any aspects at all.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Actually, you have a very good point - and it's also in the wrong board.  The Bonanza would be the appropriate place, come to think of it.

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Completely dissapointed...

Also they don't need the kickstarted funding...

Do you know how much of a budget you need for a independently made feature length film/documentary? $43,000 is pretty modest on their behalf.

I'm pretty sure they would need funding bro...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:12:01 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:40 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular

You and Hecrob are talking about this like it's a crappy new deck release.  It's not.

It's not about old fans or new fans.  It's a documentary that's meant to attract people from OUTSIDE of the community as well as inside.  If they kept it on their own website and self-funded it (a costly proposition, but maybe they could afford it), it would end up interesting no one beyond the people who traffic their site, a narrow sliver of the potential audience.  This way, they get people who are merely curious about magic, no nothing about magic but think it's cool (or kewl, depending on how old they are) are magic fanatics but never looked into being magicians and never saw the behind-the-scenes goings-on, etc.

I didn't mean it in the crappy playing card release. Sorry if I pass the wrong message.

Magic is a small community. it's a very very niche market. The reason i say D&D are just trying to make more fans is to covert the non magic related people into magic related people. They are trying to get more people into the magic community. They are using this film as a medium to be the face of the magic community.

Why they doing it? because D&D are not really known as magicians.
Let's be honest. what is the first thing that comes to your mind when you go to their web site?
cards. flourishing moves. life style items. ...magic item..somewhere in the shadow area.
The easiest way to make money from newbies is to sell them the tools they think they need.
The very typical thing people think magician need is a deck of cards.
and what does D&D sell?...playing cards! cool playing cards.

They say it's a documentary film about magic. How I really see it is a film that is try to promote magic (which is a good thing). the down side is that it's going to be a bias film(just my opinion).  Reason is that this is the best long length commercial to promote themselves! How could D&D and other magicians involved not take the advantage on this.

They are using kickstarter to reach a broader audience and using other people's money to make a long length documentary (self promote film). in the end they get more traffic and make more sales. I have to give them credit for this idea. it's so clever!

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I didn't mean it in the crappy playing card release. Sorry if I pass the wrong message.

Magic is a small community. it's a very very niche market. The reason i say D&D are just trying to make more fans is to covert the non magic related people into magic related people. They are trying to get more people into the magic community. They are using this film as a medium to be the face of the magic community.

Why they doing it? because D&D are not really known as magicians.
Let's be honest. what is the first thing that comes to your mind when you go to their web site?
cards. flourishing moves. life style items. ...magic item..somewhere in the shadow area.
The easiest way to make money from newbies is to sell them the tools they think they need.
The very typical thing people think magician need is a deck of cards.
and what does D&D sell?...playing cards! cool playing cards.

They say it's a documentary film about magic. How I really see it is a film that is try to promote magic (which is a good thing). the down side is that it's going to be a bias film(just my opinion).  Reason is that this is the best long length commercial to promote themselves! How could D&D and other magicians involved not take the advantage on this.

They are using kickstarter to reach a broader audience and using other people's money to make a long length documentary (self promote film). in the end they get more traffic and make more sales. I have to give them credit for this idea. it's so clever!

If you think the Bucks are just about flourishing, you really haven't dug into their website, have you?  They've got one of the most extensive magic libraries on sale that I've seen anywhere.

The documentary is less about getting more people into the magic community, more about letting people see behind the scenes what magic is all about.  It's not a self-promotional film - there will be many magicians on board for this project.  And if you honestly think the movie will serve as a big advertisement for their playing cards - well, that's just plain nuts.

Re: D&D-Created Magic Documentary (KS)
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
I felt like the Bucks were evil people when they tried to jack up the prices of Wynns back in the day and got caught...but that's a different story.

When I first saw this documentary, I actually got pretty excited. I think DB produce their own DVDs and what not so far? So you know the filming, editing, and all that is going to be great.
Broke for cards