You are Here:
NEW DECK -- DB White Lions - Series "B" Blue

Author (Read 26726 times)

Re: NEW DECK -- DB White Lions - Series "B" Blue
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Wait - you do realize that the first example you gave was a valid proof of my point, right?

Yes, I do realize.

I used that as an example when your theory is correct. It would be correct more often then not in this case also (Series B) "if the decks are identical". My point is, I don't think Series B is identical. Similar but not identical.

We can look at another example. The first Magic Con decks (can be debated) have value in there own right. The addition of another Magic Con V2 (2012) certainly helps establish the value of the first Magic Con Deck. The creation of the 2nd is evidence of success of the first. "Not identical" but another version of the same premise.

They are named "White Lions" for a reason. They will continue to use the primarily white back with blue print. The difference will be a swap from the continues split spade logo to a continues NEW logo. It should use a blue metallic ink. David Blaine decks have never used metallic inks before but this would be more reason to use it now rather then not.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:09:49 PM by wsop_legacy »

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I, unlike most people, am hoping that the backs are as close to the original as possible. I love the backs and the faded light blue, and I have heard they are some of the best handling decks around, and I want to experience that handling. Also, I don't think an inverted color scheme would look that good.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
While I don't really want to speculate about the backs yet. I will say I would expect these to be quality products. Although I'm not a huge fan of David Blaine himself (I mean I'm not really into his magic...I'm sure David Blaine in person is a class act...as Don can probably attest), I love his products and especially his marketing and customer service. I own every split spade deck he has ever made and I must say they are without a doubt some if not the best quality decks I own. He also seems to space out releases evenly without flooding us and usually everyone gets a fair shake at getting his products.  I guess what I'm trying to say is (and this may not be fair to him) I have really high expectations for this deck!

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Wait - you do realize that the first example you gave was a valid proof of my point, right?

Yes, I do realize.

I used that as an example when your theory is correct. It would be correct more often then not in this case also (Series B) "if the decks are identical". My point is, I don't think Series B is identical. Similar but not identical.

We can look at another example. The first Magic Con decks (can be debated) have value in there own right. The addition of another Magic Con V2 (2012) certainly helps establish the value of the first Magic Con Deck. The creation of the 2nd is evidence of success of the first. "Not identical" but another version of the same premise.

They are named "White Lions" for a reason. They will continue to use the primarily white back with blue print. The difference will be a swap from the continues split spade logo to a continues NEW logo. It should use a blue metallic ink. David Blaine decks have never used metallic inks before but this would be more reason to use it now rather then not.

The Magic Con decks are a terrible example.  They both were made as a commemorative item for an event - only small quantities were ever intended for retail sale.  A better example would be all three releases of the Split Spades - Tally-Ho, Bee and Lions:

Tally-Ho - red, blue, black.
Bee - black, inverted black.
Lions - inverted black, inverted blue, red.

The man likes to do inverse versions of his cards.  It's not beyond the pale to imagine he'd do so with Series B.

As far as your speculation regarding the deck, there's no way Blaine is abandoning his "db" split-spade logo.  Not only is it on all of his merchandise, he uses it when personalizing an autograph.  I watched him sign an uncut sheet and a Variety Box right in front of me, and he wrote "To Don, God bless" followed by an autograph - and the "d" in God and the "b" in bless are in the shape of his split spade logo!  It's his brand, his icon - it's not going away any time soon.  (Look in some of the older topics and you can read about the night I spent hanging out with him and his creative team in his Manhattan office.)

Metallic inks negatively affect the card's performance, so I don't see him using any.  Nowadays, anything with metallic ink also has Magic Finish (or as Ellusionist calls it, "Performance Coating") to counteract the negative impact of the metallic ink.  It's why CARC made their most recent Erdnase deck, Black and Silver Acorn Backs, using Magic Finish for the first time, despite the boxes listing the finishes as "Cambric" and "Ivory".  Some think Magic Finish is the best thing since air, while some think it's too slick to be of use to them - and a lot of people have opinions somewhere in the middle.

If he does or doesn't do an inverted back design, I could see him doing something with new gaff cards, changing the box and card reveals and/or improving the marking system he used on the card backs, but metallic ink would be a stretch.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:09 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The Magic Con decks are a terrible example.  They both were made as a commemorative item for an event - only small quantities were ever intended for retail sale.
  I know I'm new to the forum but I have followed here as a guest for some time. I should have known you were going to go there.

The man likes to do inverse versions of his cards.  It's not beyond the pale to imagine he'd do so with Series B.
If he does go with an inverse back for Series B it defeats the purpose of calling it "White" Lions. Everyone in the playing card community knows (as do you), If you call the Deck "White" its primarily white back with color print. Yes Don, I know a "White Lion" is an actual type of Lion and could just be the general name but in our case (the playing card community) white is white.

As far as your speculation regarding the deck, there's no way Blaine is abandoning his "db" split-spade logo.
That's fine. However many looking to buy the deck would be disappointed if this was not different then Series A. Many of us would call Mark and David out on it.

It's why CARC made their most recent Erdnase deck, Black and Silver Acorn Backs, using Magic Finish for the first time, despite the boxes listing the finishes as "Cambric" and "Ivory".  Some think Magic Finish is the best thing since air, while some think it's too slick to be of use to them - and a lot of people have opinions somewhere in the middle.
I personally like the magic finish. I guess you can consider me somewhere in the middle.
Maybe David does not? I don't believe anyone has ever pinpointed the actual finish of the White Lions Series A that I'm aware of. Some have speculated that they might also use magic finish. The black and silver Acorn Backs are one of my favorite decks made.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:46:14 AM by wsop_legacy »

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 12:16:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, if Blaine doesn't do an inverted color version, then I can't really say what he's got in mind.  I'm better than 99% certain that the overall look will be very similar with perhaps a few key differences.  Look at the Tally Ho Split Spades and the Bee version.  Aside from color differences, they're identical, right down to the one-way mark I found (said mark was removed with the SS Lions and could just as easily have been a simple manufacturing defect, but it's there in both versions nonetheless).

I'm a big fan of those Black and Silver Acorns as well.  Trivia: the Ivory version of that deck is so far the only smooth-textured deck to employ Magic Finish.  The first deck of any kind was the Gold Arcane, the first deck stating "Magic Finish" on the box was the Gargoyles, and the first deck to state "Performance Coating" was the Artifice version 1 blue.  One other deck out there uses the same finish without either name: the White Arrcos called it "Premium Finish".

But back to David and the Series B - no one can say for certain anything about the deck until they've actually seen something more than the front of the box.  Maybe he'll go hog wild with metallic inks and Magic Finish, maybe he'll make it a smooth deck, maybe it will be blah blah blah...  No way to know.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This shows a little box that looks like it would contain one White Lions Series B and one Silver Split Spades! That would be a pretty cool set!

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Anything about a more 'specefic' release date? Or just some vague information and pictures?

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Anything about a more 'specefic' release date? Or just some vague information and pictures?
As always, if someone had info that they were allowed to share, I'm sure they'd post it.

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
If these were put in a set, I'd be surprised. He doesn't usually put two decks like these in a set. His sets usually revolve around identical decks, such as all three colors of the Split Spades (Lion) decks, with the exception of, of course, the Variety Box.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »

DarrylDavis

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
This shows a little box that looks like it would contain one White Lions Series B and one Silver Split Spades! That would be a pretty cool set!

I received a two white lion set in this box, it's actually really nice.I'll see if I can post pictures later. But I don't think he's going to put white lions and the split spades together. He's already had these boxes and he's just holding them in this for the contest I think.

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
He might do a set of two signed deck, one of each.. However, I actually prefer if they were sold separately though.. Could decide to get a brick of each that way. :P

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If these were put in a set, I'd be surprised. He doesn't usually put two decks like these in a set. His sets usually revolve around identical decks, such as all three colors of the Split Spades (Lion) decks, with the exception of, of course, the Variety Box.

He's done quite a number of two-deck sets.  The Bee Split Spades were the first, White Lions were the second, and the third were red and blue Split Spades Lions with an black envelope containing eight gaff cards for the two decks.  Each set came with an autographed deck - for the Bees, inverse black; for the White Lions, one of the two identical decks; for the "Magician's Set", the red deck was available with autograph for a little extra.

In fact the second and third releases are STILL available at http://shop.davidblaine.com/collections/cards - he also lists the "Bicycle Split Spades" gaff decks and, despite being long sold out, the collector's box of a brick of Split Spades Lions.

If I had to guess, I'd say the cards will be available for standard purchase, then made available for purchase in the boxed sets, which would fit his normal pattern for releases.

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Another new pic from Blaine

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Another new pic from Blaine

CBJ

That's a nice shot - the Brooklyn Bridge from the Manhattan waterfront into Brooklyn.

Is it just me, or does that deck look like there's metallic blue ink on the box?

Funny thought: shove this in a Porper clip enough times, you'll flatten the inkless name right off the tuck!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:09:15 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »

-kakos98-

i don't think blue is metallic ink but i'm sure about the silver and yes the Brooklyn Bridge is amazing!!!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
The background looks like a poster. This deck has been labelled "Coming Soon" to "Coming very soon". Hurry up! We need a date. Hahahha. And another for the silver split spades!!!!

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The background looks like a poster. This deck has been labelled "Coming Soon" to "Coming very soon". Hurry up! We need a date. Hahahha. And another for the silver split spades!!!!

Labeled?  Where?

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The box looks amazing.. but let's see the cards!

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »

vmagic

I know someone that used the new White Lions deck at a magic camp in NY and he says they look the same.

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Labeled?  Where?
if you see his twitter when he posted this pictures.

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I will probably pass in buying some of the series b decks as I have a brick of the originals. But I'd like to see if I can get a couple of split spades lions...
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 02:52:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I know someone that used the new White Lions deck at a magic camp in NY and he says they look the same.

Bro!  Photos!

Labeled?  Where?
if you see his twitter when he posted this pictures.

What is his Twitter feed?

And now that I think of it, do you folks think it would be useful to have a list of various artists' Twitter feeds in one place?

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »

vmagic

Just got an email from Blaine and it says these are coming out Aug 1st at midnight eastern time.

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Just got an email from Blaine and it says these are coming out Aug 1st at midnight eastern time.
Okay, that's awesome i'll be there and get some as long as the prices aren't too high!!